It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars curiosity Sol2 Anomalies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0pass
By the way can you see in this picture what we would identify as a river....This one is on mars.

It may look like a river at first, but it lacks the reflections and transparency that a real river would show.
Those are dunes

If you zoom that picture, you might find more interesting stuff. But if you can see only rocks, then I cannot help you.

Rocks are interesting stuff for people like me.

The only help I need right now is about the question you ignored, what characteristics do you see on those objects to identify them as metallic?

I identify them as rocks because the characteristics I see are the as those from rocks and they are on a place where rocks are expected.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

By the way can you see in this picture what we would identify as a river....This one is on mars.

It may look like a river at first, but it lacks the reflections and transparency that a real river would show.
Those are dunes

Correct. It is simply a band of dark sand.

And, as can be seen in these images, the dark material undulates with the bumpiness of the surface topography. If this was water, it would be level (it is not level):

edit on 12/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Those are dunes

If you zoom that picture, you might find more interesting stuff. But if you can see only rocks, then I cannot help you.

Rocks are interesting stuff for people like me.

The only help I need right now is about the question you ignored, what characteristics do you see on those objects to identify them as metallic?

I identify them as rocks because the characteristics I see are the as those from rocks and they are on a place where rocks are expected.

You should check out the other pictures that I have analyzed. Some of them have ripples. Maybe once again it is only sand. But if you see the entire landscape and visualize it, you could see it differently.

Again I may be wrong as none of the pictures are close shot.

I am looking for close shot images and if i find them will post them on

Curiosity pictures Mars

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Those are dunes

Correct. It is simply a band of dark sand.

And, as can be seen in these images, the dark material undulates with the bumpiness of the surface topography. If this was water, it would be level (it is not level):

edit on 12/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

You are most certainly right. But there are some places stringling blue in color and I hope to get some closer shots of these.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here is a picture that is beautiful and seems like there is a water body with waves, ripples, some odd rocks.

But NASA has a habit of playing with colors. If the above picture and the one below is to be considered as true color then the sky is blue not red.

Reason why I make my analysis and judgement on the whole picture rather than just bits and pieces here and there.

And so far it seems there is evidence of fossils, metalic artifacts, odd structures such as domes, water bodies such as rivers, lakes and tunnels.

Whether these are actually what they seem can be confirmed only on closer scrutiny in the days, months and years ahead.

edit on 12-12-2012 by 0pass because: clarify my thoughts

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You should check out the other pictures that I have analyzed. Some of them have ripples. Maybe once again it is only sand. But if you see the entire landscape and visualize it, you could see it differently.

Dunes are ripples.

I have seen that blueish sand in many photos from Mars, both on the ones taken from orbit and the ones taken by Opportunity and Spirit.

One hint: see if the ripples remain in the same place in different photos, dunes do that, waves do not.

I am looking for close shot images and if i find them will post them on

Curiosity is still far from that area, so it will take some time for us to see close shots of that area, but I suppose we will see them, as that area is in the way Curiosity will travel to reach Mount Sharp.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Here is a picture that is beautiful and seems like there is a water body with waves, ripples, some odd rocks.

But NASA has a habit of playing with colors. So I would reserve my judgement until I see some raw images of the same site.

Here's the raw image for you: photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...
Article: photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 12-12-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

But NASA has a habit of playing with colors. So I would reserve my judgement until I see some raw images of the same site.

I came across the following raw photographs from sol85 captured by the MAHLI camera which comes closer to the near truth.

1. The sky on mars is not red. It is bluish.

2. There is water on ground as indicated by the marks left by the rover as on a beach on earth.

3. There is possibly a river and fossils on location. (requires closer observation for final confirmation)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

You can get all the raw images from the following link.

Raw Images

Now as far as the picture that you have posted, this has a red tinge which means it is not true color.

The MAHLI camera is the one that captures true color pictures and the sky is not reddish but blueish in pictures taken by this camera.

And when you see the river portion in these pictures, they are also blue in color.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

Perhaps you should read and understand the specifications of the cameras.
Both MAHLI and the MastCam use Bayer filters on the CCD. This produces what can be called "true color", what we would see if we were on Mars. The problem is that the sky on Mars is not the same as the sky on Earth so the colors are not the same as they are on Earth.
msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov...

And when you see the river portion in these pictures, they are also blue in color.
There is no river.

edit on 12/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by 0pass

Perhaps you should read and understand the specifications of the cameras.
Both MAHLI and the MastCam use Bayer filters on the CCD. This produces what can be called "true color", what we would see if we were on Mars. The problem is that the sky on Mars is not the same as the sky on Earth so the colors are not the same as they are on Earth.

There is no river.

Does this mean even the pictures of the rover is not the "real color"? Taken by the same camera.

The Mastcam has a distinct red tinge in all the pictures. But not the case with Mahli.

From your own source, msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov...

The Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) is a focusable color camera located on the turret at the end of the MSL robotic arm. The instrument acquires images of up to 1600 by 1200 pixels with a color quality equivalent to that of consumer digital cameras.

If you check the color of the rover taken on the day by the camera and the color of the sky and if you also consider that the region near to this "river" is wet as one would see near a river on earth, then maybe this will become more clear than just going by what is thrown at us by NASA.

Once again, I am not claiming this is a river up ahead but looks like one.. The closer the rover gets to the "river", this will become all more clearer.

Even if this does not turn out to be a river but a "wet place" and hence darker in color, that would still be something to write about in the "history books"

edit on 12-12-2012 by 0pass because: clarify speculation

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

The raw images with the reddish tinge is how the colour cameras on Curiosity see Mars. The reddish tinge comes from the dust scattered in the atmosphere. Being on Mars is like being in a tenuous but permanent dust storm.

roadahead.com.au...

P.S. I did just notice that MAHLI seems to be somewhat white-balanced, compared to the Mastcam. Perhaps it got calibrated using the standard installed on the rover: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

Does this mean even the pictures of the rover is not the "real color"? Taken by the same camera.
No. It means the colors are what you would see if you were on Mars.

The Mastcam has a distinct red tinge in all the pictures. But not the case with Mahli.
I disagree. I think the colors in both are about the same.

The instrument acquires images of up to 1600 by 1200 pixels with a color quality equivalent to that of consumer digital cameras.
Yes. Because it has a Bayer filter, just as the MastCams do.

Even if this does not turn out to be a river but a "wet place" and hence darker in color, that would still be something to write about in the "history books"
Yes it would. But if it were wet it would have to be with something other than water because moisture cannot exist on the surface of Mars for long. The atmospheric pressure is too low.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, the MAHLI camera has been calibrated for white-balance using the calibration target. Its images are noticeably less red than Mastcam's. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I don't think the raw images are "calibrated".

Here is the MAHLI calibration target on Earth.

Here it is on Mars. That white panel ain't so white.

I think any slight differences in color are due to atmospheric conditions and/or time of day when the images are taken.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

reply to post by wildespace

I don't think the raw images are "calibrated".

Here is the MAHLI calibration target on Earth.

Here it is on Mars. That white panel ain't so white.

I think any slight differences in color are due to atmospheric conditions and/or time of day when the images are taken.

You guys are missing the point i am making.

The pictures taken by Mastcam for the "river" is hazy "grey". and the sky is "red"

The pictures taken by Mahli for the "river" is distinctly "blue" and the sky "light blue"

edit on 12-12-2012 by 0pass because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2012 by 0pass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

First, you are not using the raw images.

Second, look at the difference in levels of the images you linked. They are not at all the same.

Third, I disagree about the colors in the raw images.

The pictures taken by Mastcam for the "river" is hazy "grey". and the sky is "red"
The sky is not "red". I would call it more of a "butterscotch".

The pictures taken by Mahli for the "river" is distinctly "blue" and the sky "light blue"
The sky is not "light blue". I would call it more of a "butterscotch".

Forth, you have to ask if the images are taken on different days and at different times. That changes the color of the sky on Earth. Why wouldn't it change the color of the sky on Mars?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by 0pass

First, you are not using the raw images.

Second, look at the difference in levels of the images you linked. They are not at all the same.

Third, I disagree about the colors in the raw images.

The sky is not "red". I would call it more of a "butterscotch".

The sky is not "light blue". I would call it more of a "butterscotch".

Forth, you have to ask if the images are taken on different days and at different times. That changes the color of the sky on Earth. Why wouldn't it change the color of the sky on Mars?

You are making your comments without observation. I have been reviewing raw images of both Mastcam and Mahli for not just one Sol but many sol and the pattern is the same.

And I am using raw images from this location. Not sure how more raw they can get.

Raw Images : Source NASA

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 0pass

You are making your comments without observation.
You are incorrect. You are judging the sky to be "light blue". I don't see that. You are judging the sky to be "red". I don't see that.

I have been reviewing raw images of both Mastcam and Mahli for not just one Sol but many sol and the pattern is the same.
Please show me examples from each camera on the same Sol and approximately the same time. Then we can compare.

And I am using raw images from this location. Not sure how more raw they can get.

The images you posted above did not come from that location.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Maybe these will help.

This is the place where Curiosity landed, in the area marked with a green circle. You can see at the bottom of the image the "river".

This is a 100% zoomed view of the "river".

Image found here.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join