It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this compassionate at all?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Imagine you are a scientist, and you create a new species. You design them to be caring and loving and all things nice. You create one male and female and tell them to reproduce. You also tell them to be careful of a disease, to stay away from a certain area so that they won't catch it. This disease is really bad - not only does it slowly kill you and make you suffer but it also eats away parts of your brain which makes you less caring for others and more willing to steal, kill, and betray...

Now, a very intelligent being, that is older than these two and good with mental manipulation tricks them into going to the area and therefore catching the disease. You find out and tell them to leave because now they are infected. Not only do you tell them to leave - you add to their suffering by saying that you will NOT feed them anymore so now they must grow their own food and feed themselves.

You then tell them that in order for them to survive they have to follow a list of rules you gave them for the species to continue. On that list is everything that the disease causes people to do (since it eats part of the brain). Do not kill, do not steal, do not betray...

You tell them that if they do not listen, then not only will they die, but you will bring them back to life, make them immortal, and have them burn forever and ever...

Now, you know how manipulative this being was that tricked the two of them.
You are know this disease causes all of these symptoms (lack of compassion - death, murder, etc.)
You also know that by them having children, the disease will keep being passed down to the children...

Do you think this is a compassionate thing to do or no?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
arp, I think sometimes your points get lost in the process. Your last one I knew I what you were talking about, but, as you recall, some people were not seeing the irony/symbolism.

Now....for this thread, I would ask for clarfication. To which part of what our "You" in the scenario are you referring?

To the whole scheme from the species being designed, or just the manipulative part?

Can you please be more specific? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding...like I said, in your last thread about Service to Self, I knew what you were trying to say (we must take care of ourselves in order to be of use to others, and we thereby set an example of how to be self-sufficient and not parasitic).....

But, some folks thought you sounded "selfish". I saw it happening. Now, in this one, this new parable, are you pointing out that the creator was a despot to begin with? Or that the creator set impossible standards and rules and then knowingly thrust the creation into a doomed arena, like throwing someone to the wolves.

??

BTW, no, I don't find those things compassionate. I find them psychopathic.... But I also don't believe that the Biblical "creation" story is true. The creator who would create something and then cast it into a den of perils is not compassionate to his creation.

Or maybe, in reading it again, you mean "Is encouraging them to have children" compassionate?? Or, do you mean, "is having children" compassionate.?

edit on 31-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Image you are not a person but a thought amongst many within a sort of vast hive-mind, but you want to be a person, and live a life as an individual in a material word, as a physical body to enjoy the world in a direct way.
Then you find that the collective thoughts in this great mind were in agreement and formed a world as best fit with all's ideas of what such a world would be like if they were to create one.
Would you be happy to spring forth from the abyss of nothingness into this new thing?
Even if you understood that it was not as wonderful as you may have hoped for but was actually a cruel and hostile sort of environment?
Would you then be glad, once you did find yourself in this place, that among those what would have also only been mere thoughts, who became individuals in this new world, chose to not become physical bodies but to sacrifice those sensual enjoyments and to help out, as pure spirit beings, those who had made that choice (to become beings of, at least in part, a physical nature) and so have to suffer the realities of what was the more unpleasant parts of the universe that they had joined?
edit on 31-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The answer is no....
but, also the answer is that compassion or lack thereof was a non-issue. Your caricature is of the Creation, so i'll speak of it that way. In my opinion, God placed the tree of knowledge in the garden to give man free will in a time when there was no other potential for sin. life has been the same since the beginning: it is a test. We can either use our inherent knowledge of right and wrong and do good, and live good lives, or not. we gained that knowledge from the fruit. before that there was only one potential sin. man committed that sin. God promised that if they did, they would die, therefore He could not allow them to continue to eat from the tree of life, and he expelled them from the garden. He told them how to get their food and continued to walk with them, so i suppose that could be considered compassionate.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Obviously you are referring to the Adam and Eve story in the Bible.

Here's what I think. People take the bible too literally. Think about the people who first told those stories, passing them down orally for generations. These were not scientific people. They needed a way to explain the hardships they faced, their own existence, why life included suffering. So they came up with a creation myth.

That's right, a MYTH. of course, if you insist that the bible was dictated by god, then you have to accept it literally.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

They needed a way to explain the hardships they faced, their own existence, why life included suffering. So they came up with a creation myth.
I don't know if it is even that.
I am starting to think that the whole Old Testament was put into the basic form which we have now, around the end of the Persian Empire, and the beginning of the Greek domination, where things like the Eden story is a parable to show what happens when people get away from the main temple cult of Jerusalem as their center of worship.
YHWH in the story would represent the god-like presence in the temple, and the serpent is the influence of those who would suggest that other temples are just as good since they all represent the same god, right?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

When I say "You", I'm talking about your responses to the situation...

Allowing an intelligent being with mental manipulation skills to trick them into disease. Punishing the off-spring for having "symptoms" of this disease... Adding to the already sufferance of having the disease (leaving them and making them do everyone on their own because of it).

Telling them that one day in the future you will "Judge" them and all of their off-spring infected with the disease based on how serve the symptoms were and then if they do not pass this judgment (which wasn't their fault since the disease got passed down from the ancestors) - that they'll be tortured forever.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Thanks for clarifying.... got it.

No, it's not compassionate. It's pyschopathic.

new topics

top topics

join