It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CURSES! Foiled Again!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
That phrase is generally just a way to say that your plans have been undone by the opposition. But all wiords have more than one meaning and can be used in multiple ways. This is a curse to the route type people who only use one meaning of the word. But it's a blessing and a boon to those with creative minds. Of course the route type people always ahte it when a creative mind gets a hold of their perfect world and turns it upside down.

So let's take a look at that phrase. I got to thinking about it, and then, all of a sudden, an image popped into my mind.

For, it doesn't have to mean that another person spoiled somebody's plans. When taken in a literal sense, it means that you wrapped yourself in foil. Which is something that goes a little tiny bit beyond just wearing a tin foil hat.

Now, there is the regular aluminum foil, which is used for cooking. Then there is gold foil, which is used for art and decoration.

When I got this image in my head I decide to to a google and search for images of people wrapped up in foil. I was really surprised when I got THIS article:

Alex Jones: Bilderberg attendees eat babies wrapped in gold foil

www.examiner.com...

Which of course was a completely different thing than what had crept into my mind. Because you see, I wanted to show a pic or two of weird people completely wrapped in foil for a laugh or two. Then I got this.

So I think there's a lesson in there, somewhere. I guess it can be summed up as: be careful what you search for, you just might get it.

And I definately got it today.

Ah well, that's life. What would life be without those challenging little idiosyncrasies?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

foil 1 (foil)
tr.v. foiled, foil·ing, foils
1. To prevent from being successful; thwart.
2. To obscure or confuse (a trail or scent) so as to evade pursuers.
n. Archaic
1. A repulse; a setback.
2. The trail or scent of an animal.
[Middle English foilen, to trample, defile, variant of filen, to defile; see file3.]
[
foil 2 (foil)
n.
1. A thin, flexible leaf or sheet of metal: aluminum foil.
2. A thin layer of polished metal placed under a displayed gem to lend it brilliance.
3. One that by contrast underscores or enhances the distinctive characteristics of another: "I am resolved my husband shall not be a rival, but a foil to me" (Charlotte Brontë).
4. The reflective metal coating on the back of a glass mirror.
5. Architecture A curvilinear, often lobelike figure or space formed between the cusps of intersecting arcs, found especially in Gothic tracery and Moorish ornament.
a. An airfoil.
b. Nautical A hydrofoil.
tr.v. foiled, foil·ing, foils
1. To cover or back with foil.
2. To set off by contrast.
[Middle English, from Old French foille, from Latin folia, pl. of folium, leaf; see bhel-3 in Indo-European roots.]

Source

English - one of the most confusing languages in the world!

~Heff
edit on 8/31/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

You're welcome.

Whenever I say that phrase it always conjures a image of the villian in handcuffs at the end of every Scooby-Doo cartoon.

edit on 31-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: Thoughts interupted

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You really do take some to think about our rather skewed language hey ESC??
You should put it to good use and get some writing out there, really get your head humming along....

Foiled again. As in a style of fighting known as fencing, popular in days past when disputes arose between people, kind of like a older pistols at dawn. Nowadays a semi popular sport.

The foil bends when striking an opponent, hence they are "foiled," and the opponent gains a point. I can't say for 100% certainty this is the origin of that saying, but it matches pretty well....

Me? I prefer this one my self.....

new topics

join