It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destiny Lights Up on 'Toddlers & Tiaras'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
4 Year Old appears on stage with a cigarette

You could say four-year-old "Toddlers & Tiaras" contestant Destiny smoked her competition. But then you'd be associating a pre-schooler with smoking, which would be bad. Apparently, Destiny's mom never had that particular lesson instilled when before encouraging her daughter's impersonation of Sandy from "Grease," fake cigarette and all. Even the judges, who are generally caught off guard by just about nothing, seemed shocked, and did indeed deduct points from her score. Then again, they also rewarded her with the title of "Personality Supreme." We can only hope that in the next pageant, mommy Lisa will have slightly less dubious encouraging words for little Destiny than, "Don't forget to smoke."

This seems a little shocking...Having gone through the trials and tribulations myself with tobacco use, I find it hard to believe a toddler would be presented in this fashion...There are several controversial issues at play here:

1) The concept of pageantry and appropriate age;
2) The use of tobacco and appropriate age; and
3) Social psychology and marketing.

I do not think it is appropriate for parents to present their children in this type of situation.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This type of show is sick....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Toddlers and Tiaras is a pedophiles dream come true.

The idiot that gave the kid a cigarette for stage should have gotten a clue from the other idiot that dressed her daughter up like Dolly Parton ... fake boobs and fake butt and all. That woman is now in danger of having her childs custody taken away from her. (and she still thinks she did nothing wrong :shk: )

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think you have a valid point point concerning the pedophilia aspect...Dressing the children up into something they would not be if offered the chance to choose on their own, for the psychological gratification of the viewers...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I don't know what type of parent would do this to their child but I also wouldn't be at all surprised if someone making the show didn't suggest the idea to the parent in order to gain some free publicity.
edit on 31-8-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by totallackey

If you've ever watched Toddler's and Tiara's it's potentially the most aggravating blood-boiling experience imaginable. It's like watching a sports show where an overbearing Father abusively forces their child to become an athlete (and the child's wishes be damned!). Except it's even worse because of just how exploitative the so-called "child pageant" scene appears to be. From the maybe twenty minutes of show I was able to sit through before nearly putting a hole in my TV they dress up three and four year old girls in outfits that make Vegas show-girls look like conservative prudes. I spent most of the show wishing a heroic character would show up and disembowel the abusive parents to save the children from any more misery.

In my opinion anyone caught AIRBRUSHING a child under age 10 should probably be imprisoned, but then that's the kind of knee jerk reaction this sorta thing brings out. Now sometimes the children seem just as into it as the parents, but its hard to tell if any of that is legitimate or if its all the result of years of indoctrination.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Here are the viewer demographics
I find it especially disturbing to see that there are adult male viewers.

Viewer demographics by state, age, and gender
16.6% is male. YIKES! What is an adult male doing watching this kind of stuff?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
People need to stop watching this junk on tv. If nobody watches and ratings drop, maybe some of this garbage will go away. Granted pageantry wont stop, but maybe taking it off tv would prevent other morons from getting started. It's sad what some people will do for fame. The majority of these kids probably don't even have a choice in the matter.

This child's mother needs a visit from a social worker. I don't think having a fake cigarette is grounds for having a child removed from a parent but maybe it would scare the mother a bit and hopefully cause her to use her brain and make better choices for her child, in the future.
edit on 8/31/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

People need to stop watching this junk on tv. If nobody watches and ratings drop, maybe some of this garbage will go away.

I would hope you are correct if viewership went down this type of programming would disappear...but I think a lot of programs we are offered are propped up in terms of financing, whether we like it or not...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

This show should be taken off the air so fast. Why? Because first it's a pedophiles wet dream. And second, enslaving your children for the soul purpose of the mother or father self-gratification because their life isn't what they wanted it to be. Because they themselves have parent issues they'll pimp out their kids. This show is sick to no end.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Oh Gawd, here we go again. I should be shocked but I'm not, the whole thing is nuts to begin with.

Having said that though age 7 I did do a school, yeah school play doing Berlington Bertie in fishnets, coat tails, had to flash my nips at the audience cos the bib front didn't quite cover me and had to saunter around in a drunkenesque fashion whilst brandishing a long cig holder. Oh deary me.....Mum and Dad didn't bat an eyelid over it...

I wouldn't have looked amiss in the Rocky Horror picture show. Weirdly Mother went all hysterical 10 years later when I actually got into it.

edit on 31-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Can you elaborate? Describe how you came to be in such a play at the age of 7? What were you aware of? If this is deemed to be asking or soliciting too much personal information, then please disregard. I do not want to violate T&C.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey

Can you elaborate? Describe how you came to be in such a play at the age of 7? What were you aware of? If this is deemed to be asking or soliciting too much personal information, then please disregard. I do not want to violate T&C.

It was just junior school Christmas play, just a small school, nothing huge. We had to do a few performances of various things, Old music hall stuff. I actually stepped in as replacement for a boy who was ill (and no they weren't planning on putting him in fishnets). I was aware of it being chilly, but nothing untoward, it was the early 80's and I suppose life did seem more innocent then for all the problems the country had. But no pictures were taken, it was parents and guests only. I just did my song. Nobody forced me to do it, I just stepped up to the plate to do my bit.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing your experience and memories. It appears you were already aware the boy would not be placed in fishnets or otherwise dolled up. How did you become aware of this fact?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey

Thank you for sharing your experience and memories. It appears you were already aware the boy would not be placed in fishnets or otherwise dolled up. How did you become aware of this fact?

They had a pair of trousers kept aside for him, the lad was quite the shorty, no way those trousers would fit me.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I remember many a Halloween costume where I sported a candy cigarette. Yep, times they are a changing!

We'd even get them in our trick or treat bags.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
in addition to the pedo concerns

this sort of thing is psychologically damaging to the poor things
especially to "the losers"

signs of a sick society indeed
everything is consumable and marketable,

even a childs innocence

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Thanks. I take it you did not feel "put on display," or any other such feelings at the time. Were any of the children demonstrating such concerns, that you can recall?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Ah, the good old candy cigarettes...I forgot about those...I remember those well! Gave me an instant rush of sugar!

Do you believe these could have been preparatory agents for actual smoking?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Of course, it was preemptive marketing for children!

More Doctor's smoke Camels, though!

new topics

top topics

join