It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major quake in Phillipines (7.9 prelim)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
USGS is reporting a 7.9 quake with an updated magnitude to come shortly.

That is a massive earthquake, reports and updates to follow.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Holy crap that's a monster right there! Let's hope it just passes by without harming anyone... *crossing my fingers and clenching my anus super tight*

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

This is from the RSOE interim status report:

Area: Pacific Ocean
Magnitude: M 7.9
Depth: 33 km
Tsunami observed: Yes, tsunami wave has been observed.

I'll edit to update when more info becomes available. Best wishes to all those who may be affected.
edit on 31-8-2012 by adrift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This has already been posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rev

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
This has already been posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rev

**Thread closed** reopened...
edit on Fri Aug 31 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
My info from other thread
-----------------------------------
CNN just posted quick bulleton about it.

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.9 has struck off the coast of the Philippines, the U.S. Geological Survey said Friday.

The quake was about 20 miles deep, the agency said.

The quake prompted a tsunami warning for parts of Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, Guam and other areas, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

Link

The coast lines no longer seem like the best options for populated cities and infrastructure. I hope all in the area are safe and healthy!

Here is a map to show the quakes proximity to the coast

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The Tsunami threat is for the Pacific Basin, here is the most recent posting from

www.tsunami.gov...

Weird, I believe in 'messages' and have things that have appeared or happened that afterwards were prophetic, though not really into seeing everything as a premonition, but last night on the way home, there were dark grey storm clouds, but to the East the dark clouds were a very deep blue, very unusual, they looked like the sea and when I got home, seen something that looks like dolphins jumping waves in the clouds, I felt this was some sort of tsunami or sea premonition. ETA I don't normally post things about premonitions etc. I am not crazy.

I do hope there isn't any tsunami.

The sea clouds picture

edit on 31-8-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
oO. This is tragic and a pattern is emerging.
Godspeed to the people affected

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Big quake...hope there is no knock on effect, reguarding the pacific plate..
keep safe..

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

"A tsunami warning is also current for Indonesia, but earlier alerts for Japan, Taiwan and Pacific islands including the US state of Hawaii have been lifted"

Guess everything is looking good. Minimal at least.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
We should watch Taal now an active volcano
i think it is there that i saw a documentary about an apocalyptic scenario
that if there is an earthquake at that place it would make a catastrophic landslide
and create a huge tsunami ..
hope people will get warnings has soon has possible to stay far from the coast

USGS Link
edit on 8/31/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If you look at the USGS..eathquakes today site, you'll see that cali is kicking off again..meaning , does that nudge on the west side of the plate cause friction on the east side..

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Recent update 14:25UTC

www.tsunami.gov...

EVALUATION

SEA LEVEL READINGS CONFIRM THAT A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED.

THIS TSUNAMI MAY HAVE BEEN DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTLINES OF THE REGION NEAR THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES IN THE REGION SHOULD TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION IN RESPONSE TO THIS POSSIBILITY. THIS CENTER WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR SEA LEVEL GAUGES NEAREST THE REGION AND REPORT IF ANY ADDITIONAL TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY.

THE WARNING WILL NOT EXPAND TO OTHER AREAS OF THE PACIFIC UNLESS ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED TO WARRANT SUCH AN EXPANSION. FOR AFFECTED AREAS - WHEN NO MAJOR WAVES ARE OBSERVED FOR TWO HOURS AFTER THE ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL OR DAMAGING WAVES HAVE NOT OCCURRED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS THEN LOCAL AUTHORITIES CAN ASSUME THE THREAT IS PASSED.

DANGER TO BOATS AND COASTAL STRUCTURES CAN CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HOURS DUE TO RAPID CURRENTS. AS LOCAL CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE A WIDE VARIATION IN TSUNAMI WAVE ACTION THE ALL CLEAR DETERMINATION MUST BE MADE BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

edit on 31-8-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hey everyone,

I am in the Phils, but further south in General Santos City. I sure felt that earthquake. It was a long one, lasting well over a minute by my observation. The ground shook back and forth and I felt a little dizzy afterwards. From what I have heard, Samar was the closest to epicenter and there was road and bridge damage. People are going inland anticipating a tsunami. That's all I know. If I hear anything, I will let you all know.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Good to a local is okay! Glad to hear it.

Not much info, folks. I'm hoping that is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I'm in Manila right now, didn't feel anything??? Hope the areas affected don't have too much damage, injury or loss of life!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Tsunami alert called off, but evacuations still going on in Samar and surrounding areas. There was a report of one death due to a house collapse.

‎[Adm-01] Tsunami warning cancelled for Philippines, Indonesia, Belau and all other areas covered in initial warning. | via @Weather Watch

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gator2001

Good to hear it wasn't major.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

From skynews:

Seismologists using Twitter to detect tremors say the social network beat their own advanced equipment in spotting an earthquake off the Philippines.

The micro-blogging site is being used as an early-warning system by the US Geological Survey (USGS) to quickly gather information about earthquakes around the globe.

The system, called Twitter Earthquake Detection (Ted), beat the survey’s own sensors on Friday in detecting the 7.6-earthquake which struck off the Philippine coast.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Twitter at least has good uses then.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join