It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 80
<< 77  78  79    81  82  83 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

But it does look ALOT more like my own dock:

We are both Linux users. He runs Ubuntu, I run Mint, a fork of Ubuntu, but also the 4th most popular OS in the world.

Let's see, Windoze would be number 1, crApple would be 2nd, Ubuntu would be 3rd, and Mint would be 4th. Hmmm.

History:

I've been a geek for years, my first computer @ age 16 was a Commodore 64. With a 300 baud modem, pre-internet days. Fast forward.

I'll offer up two challenges, one to adjensen, and one to vkey, both Apple users. Two Separate debates.

adjensen: Commercial software vs Open Source software.

vkey: Apple vs Linux. (Can we include iPhone and Android?)

And yeah, I don't use Heff's background. I used it for dramatic effect. This is my real background, of course, for now:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Problem I have with Linux isn't Linux, it's that Lightwave, Modo, and the software I need to get paid doesn't run on it, even under wine..

So I have to use something, OSX, is BSD (*nix) based so I can still compile my own software if needed, and run the stuff i need to run..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
History:

I've been a geek for years, my first computer @ age 16 was a Commodore 64. With a 300 baud modem, pre-internet days. Fast forward.

... dons his "one-up-manship" hat...

First computer at home -- in 1972, a Data General Nova 1200 mini-computer, with a Model 33 Teletype as an input device, and an acoustic coupler modem. My Dad was an engineer for Control Data and needed one at home for work. You had to manually key in the bootstrap program with the toggle switches on the front of the Nova in order to get it to recognize the TTY, then use a paper punch stored program on that to load the OS.

Just a little bit above an abacus, lol. But I learned how to code on that machine, so I guess it served me well.

I'll offer up two challenges, one to adjensen, and one to vkey, both Apple users. Two Separate debates.

adjensen: Commercial software vs Open Source software.

Okay, though it will have to wait -- Oscar is going in for surgery tomorrow, so I'll be indisposed for a day or two.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What's fun about Linux? Right now I am on a Mint partition and am currently installing Gnome and a few other shell choices. I haven't decided just what to do with this partition yet... but it will be different than the dark theme and the eye candy that I love about my Ubuntu DE. I want this one to be lighter, more basic, and generally productivity oriented.

Though I may go astray as docks ( This time I am pondering going with AWN as opposed to Cairo ) are so intuitive and easy. Currently my base install has a "Windows" style task bar... let's see how long that lasts.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So quiet....

I hate silence...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
That reminds me. Heff, can Druid and I get approval for the "Commercial vs. Open Source Software" debate? Not sure if I'll get to my opening until tomorrow or Saturday, but we might as well have approval first.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Best to send him a High, adjensen.

He'll see that before that post.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Are we ever going to get a result for our debate?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Best to send him a High, adjensen.

Best to send him a u2u, adjensen. (Predictive typing err, sorrry.)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Things are running a little sluggish without our dear Skyfloating around.

(Anyone wanna help Heff out? Anyone?
)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Debate approved!

As for judgments? I've got several saved to my computer already - and am waiting for the remainder to come in. I am having to replicate the mechanisms that Skyfloating had in place - and it's taking a bit of time to get it all flowing. But things are definitely moving forward. As soon as I get two more decisions back, we should be caught up.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Sounds great.. Im up for a second debate as well. Any takers?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The judgement for the "Radical Beliefs" debate are in!!!

Great job guys! Truly a solid debate and read! Thanks to all!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by Hefficide

Sounds great.. Im up for a second debate as well. Any takers?

Do you have any particular topics in mind?

I'm down for a debate.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Congrats to NRE for the win!

That was a close one, and it was extremely satisfying to take part in such a controversial subject from a slight different angle.

Nice.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I want to thank Druid and the judges for this, it was a tough subject, and I was unaware that there was a closing argument, so my last post was actually what I thought was one before the last. I look forward to another soon, and again thanks

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

We have approval my friend. Ready to go, as soon as you open it.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

We have approval my friend. Ready to go, as soon as you open it.

It's going to be a little bit, sorry. I'm having some real life issues that are getting in the way of my concentration.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Understood.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Judgements in the "Life after Death" debates are posted.

Great job folks!

new topics

top topics

<< 77  78  79    81  82  83 >>

join