It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 79
<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

There could actually be a debate in this... Commercial vs Open source software - which is the superior product?"

As a commercial software developer (Apple built my house, lol) I could certainly take the Commercial side of that debate!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Funny... my computer is from 2003 and my BRAND NEW UBUNTU works perfectly fine on it.

( Yes... yes... I'm currently highly infatuated with my Ubuntu base, Gnome shell with Cairo-Dock, and the like 8,000 just totally cool things it is capable of doing. Lemme alone... I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

~Sigh..... Ain't she purty?

edit on 2/26/13 by Hefficide because: because the one with my IP address might have been unwise. LOL

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

If Heff doesn't want it, I DO!

Regardless, it's a bug in the Safari browser. You can prove this by snagging a copy of Opera for Mac, and trying the same links. You'll find it's a rendering error in Safari.

I'm not a crApple fan at all. Flash on an Iphone? Right....

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You sir, got your system pimped. That ain't no stock install.

But that's the point. You can customize. Commercial software doesn't allow that.

ETA: Out of curiosity, what's your processor speed and amount of RAM? What version of Ubuntu?
edit on 2/26/13 by Druid42 because: added ETA.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Back on topic, my first post in the Life after Death Debate is up.

Over to you, bkn.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Coming up with my next installment in my head now. Might be able to get down on paper and submitted tonight. We shall see.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

You sir, got your system pimped. That ain't no stock install.

But that's the point. You can customize. Commercial software doesn't allow that.

ETA: Out of curiosity, what's your processor speed and amount of RAM? What version of Ubuntu?
edit on 2/26/13 by Druid42 because: added ETA.

Intel P4 - 2.6 GHz.
2.3 GB RAM
Ubuntu 12.04.2

I'd upgrade to 12.10 but, sadly, my GPU is an Intel 82865g - which has a known glitch I cannot find a workaround for currently. I'm hoping that 13.04, in about a month and a half, comes out with that glitch fixed.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My rebuttal is up. To you Druid

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

The "ex-text" button is a mere two tabs to the left of the "quote" button. Are you trying to drive me insane? If it's within ATS, a "quote" is used. If it's an outsourced link, USE THE EX-TEXT BUTTON. They both work the same way, just providing different borders to delineate sources.

Some Mods, especially SuperMods, are VERY strict about this.

*flails his arms wildly in the air above him*

Ok. I'm better. *sigh*

It's late. I'll have my second post up on the eve of tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Nice specs. I range from 2-3 Ghz, and 2-4 GB ram, pending on which unit I'm using atm.

Ah, you reminded me why I switched to Mint awhile ago. Those darn 6 month updates. New release, bah, every April and October. Too pushy for me when my system runs fine. Why update?

Mint 13 is a LTS, supported til 2017. Knock that, Ubuntu. I'll run 13, Maya, for a while. It just works.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I do that out of habit. Lol. I noticed it when I reread it. Didn't want to fix it obviously. Didn't think it was a huge deal though. Won't happen again.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Silly formalities, I know. But it's color coded for a reason.

Sorry, I must be in a mood. Or something. I'm never so strict on running such a tight debate. I guess I think you have potential, and want you to do things the right way.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Silly formalities, I know. But it's color coded for a reason.

Sorry, I must be in a mood. Or something. I'm never so strict on running such a tight debate. I guess I think you have potential, and want you to do things the right way.

We all have to be assisted from time to time. My lesson came from adjensen and Socratic questions.

It only serves to make us better debaters.

edit on 27-2-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yea I think Ive worked out all the kinks. This anticipation is killing me though. I have a feeling druid is about to unleash some wrath in his next response .

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wrath unleashed!

Naw.

But my second post is up in the Life after Death Debate.

Time for closing posts.

(Hint: Use as much space to continue your position, and save a wee tiny paragraph to close it down.)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Done and done. I had a closing post already mapped out in my brain, so it was a little easier to put pen to paper.

Druid, than you so much for the opportunity. I look forward to reading your closing post!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My final post is up in the Life after Death Debate.

It is now officially submitted to the judges.

While it's improper to comment on a debate before the ruling is in, I will say, bknapple32, you finally got your game on in your third post. That was what I was expecting throughout.

Now you know (fairly well) how a debate works. Kinda rough for your first, but that third post, yep, that's a real good indication of a keen mind.

Thanks for the debate, and I am looking forward to reading the vkey and bkn debate, no matter the topic.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I appreciate bearing with me. I think this was one of the tougher subjects to debate. I think we both did a good job of doing what we could with what we had.

It was an honor and a privilege. I think this will be the first of many. I forsee an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I would like to say that I have really enjoyed reading the Life after death debate.
Thanks to you both for that.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Your "Cairo dock" looks an awful lot like my MacOS dock..

new topics

top topics

<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join