It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Just wondering if the debate between Druid and I is up for judging yet, I would like to start another debate, but wanted to be sure the other was finalized.

Thanks in advance, NRE.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Oh gosh, feel free.

Here's how it works:

Debate idea is produced between two members.

Debate idea is submitted for approval.

Approval is received.

Debate commences.

Debate members post links to their three posts, as they occur, in this thread, though that is not canon.

Debate finishes, after the con position's final post, and the con position submits the debate for judging in this thread.

After that, the Mods take care of it. You are released from any debate obligations once the con position has declared the debate over. The Mods find the judges that are available, a delay of 2-4 days, and once the results are in, they post in this thread, with a link to the determination. Waiting on a decision in no way limits your ability to start a new debate.

There are no limitations (save common sense) as to how many debates you can have going on at the same time. It would not be odd to have 2 or 3 running concurrently, (I know) and the Mods allow that, as long as you keep up your end of your obligation, and respond in a timely manner.

A three post debate should take about 5 days to complete, but they have been done within 1 day. Debates should be concluded within 7 days, save personal issues, in which you should alert staff and your fellow debate partner. There have been debates closed because members left them, and the rule of thumb the Mods follow is 2 weeks of no activity, in which they will close a debate thread.

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Unlike Skyfloating who seems to have an obsessive nature... I have an attention span that is about as long as a nanoparticle... so, having said that... if debates finish up - shoot me a U2U! Otherwise I might not ever realize they're done.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
For those unaware, Skyfloating, our "obsessive" Mod, is on leave for 3 weeks. Hefficide is filling in, and tothetenthpower is a reliable backup Mod. You can send debate approval requests to both of them in the interim, via u2u, and they are both prompt in responding. Check to see which of them are online at the time, for best results, but both of them are remarkable for quick responses.

We miss Sky, but we'll make due.

(Sorry Heff, I like strict rules and attention to details. The only part you left out was "compulsive disorder". I can relate to OCD.
)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ok Druid, I have a few hours free starting at 2ish.. So expect my first submission sometime around 5pm est

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My first post is up, ready to be dissected. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Gasp! The horror!

Posts in the debate forum are limited to one 5000 character post per round.

No edits are allowed, save by staff.

We need to request a Mod edit to remove that second post......

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Oops got caught up in everything. But forgot about those rules. No problem removing the second post. I can do that myself if you'd like.
edit on 26-2-2013 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Fixed it. Honest mistake. Dont want a judge seeing that post so I removed it asap.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Now the compulsive part I do fall prey too constantly! Thus the short attention span.

To reinforce for the newer members... edits in debates to need to be done by either Skyfloating, Tothetenthpower, or myself. In a pinch y'all can seek out one of the online Super Moderators, if none of us are online. Several of them have some level of involvement, behind the scenes, with this forum.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hope its not a big deal that I edited the invalid second post myself. Wont do it again, just didn't want to taint the debate.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

If I am understanding correctly - the edit was because you didn't remember to limit post #1 to the 5,000 character limit and accidentally used the full 7,500 that OP's can have. Am I accurate?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Kinda sorta

I actually wrote it on word, then copied and pasted essentially. and it went in to a second post. So i deleted the second post as it wasnt necessary. Now were left with the original post. I can remove a couple quotes if needed.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Fixed!

Just use your second post to carry forward. I think a sentence about being new and not remember the character limit should suffice.

The first post is too long still. If you U2U me exactly which segments can be snipped or deleted to get you to the 5,000 limit - I'll happily edit it for you.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Like I said, first time, and I got carried away. Hope I didnt taint anything.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Not at all. My first debate, I totally forgot about the character limit and went over too.

We get used to the input field dictating these things to us - it takes a bit of adjustment.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Ok thanks... U2U sent for edit.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
OK - everything is fixed, down to the right size... so let the blood flow... I mean... Debate ON!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks for the help. It all looks good now. Whew!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Truly sorry for the rough start. We've replaced all the "noise" with strict posting rules. It's rather formal in here, format wise.

No harm though, honest mistakes happen.

Now, off to respond.....

ETA: Dang, my OCD is flaring up. Just noticed you used "quote" tags instead of "ex text" tags for offsite content. You'd had a rough enough start, so no reason to edit anymore. Just for reference for future posts.
edit on 2/26/13 by Druid42 because: added ETA.

new topics

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join