It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Im curious: What is your ACTUAL stance on crop circles, now that you`ve looked into it a little? I portrayed my real stance on it in the Debate.

At the risk of alienating pretty much everyone in this forum (and the rest of the site, lol,) after many years of study and thinking, I have come to the unenviable worldview of being a theistic skeptic -- on all matters, apart from things that could have a divine, supernatural influence, I am a pretty hard lined skeptic, and even on the divine end of things, I don't accept much.

Aliens? There are no aliens (not here, anyway.)
Bigfoot? No such thing.
Most "conspiracy theories" (like 9/11 theories)? Distracting and baseless speculation.
Vampires? Demons? Ghosts? Don't believe in any of them.

So, my position on crop circles in the debate is exactly what it is "in real life". I know enough about the machinations of the physical world to dismiss a natural cause for anything but the most rudimentary vortex created circles, I see evidence that people are responsible for at least some of them, and no real evidence for any other causes, so I think that they are a purely man made phenomenon.

Trust me, my worldview isn't the most enjoyable, but it's what I've come to after 50 years. The only reason I believe in God is because of things that have happened to me personally, and can best be explained by there existing a supernatural being who has the same attributes and behaviours that are generally attributable to God. Combined with issues that I have with our basis of reality, and the sensibility of the Christian story, that's where I have found myself. As I've said before, mine is a reasoned faith, not a revealed one, so it's definitely not for everyone, and the reason that I'm not an evangelist.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Your position doesn't alienate me. Im not a conspiracy-theory fan myself. However...you must admit that crop circles are a special case....

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Yeah man. I have so much respect for you, giving yourself one hell of a challenge. Taking that side, and you brought up some great points. No matter the outcome, I hope you enjoyed your first debate and will still hang around for more. Trust me, I was astounded how much I learned from just debating and I think it is the main reason I do it.

I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be your first debate, and I hope we can debate in the future on a topic more even handed!

Over to the judges as I have made my final post in the impact of religion debate.

In advance, thanks to the judges that are willing to provide their time to judge!

Good luck in future okiecowboy

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Judgment for the Reincarnation Debate is in...

So it needed a tie breaker ! Awesome job SS ! I'll take the win though...
To be honest, this has been one of the toughest debates I'd been in so far as SS kept coming back with arguments that freaked me out...
That debate could have gone either way, really and kudos to a worthy opponent !

Oh,

Therefore a debater should pay attention to the way debate titles are phrased because it sets the tone for the debate.

When I had a debate with Skyfloating on witchcraft, she specifically mentioned that she wanted the title phrased exactly like that... I remember that beating and that lesson...

Anyway, SS, it's been great fun !

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Congrats on the win!

However, Sky is a male. Those non-gender specific usernames are a bugger sometimes, and I actually u2ud him to ask his gender a while ago.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Congrats on the win!

However, Sky is a male. Those non-gender specific usernames are a bugger sometimes, and I actually u2ud him to ask his gender a while ago.

I made that mistake....
I'm sooo sorry for it too...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

So very sorry about that ! I apologize !

ETA: That assumption came from somewhere where Skyfloating was referred to as a "she"...oh my....
edit on 24-1-2013 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2013 by SonoftheSun because: cut details

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Don't worry guys, It could be worse. Someone thought I was a female once.. It didn't matter really until they tried to chat me up via PM. That was pretty awkward. At least you didn't do anything like that to Sky here.

But anyway changing the subject suddenly.. great debates. Thoroughly enjoyed reading them!

edit on 24-1-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Don't worry guys, It could be worse. Someone thought I was a female once.. It didn't matter really until they tried to chat me up via PM. That was awkward, At least you didn't do anything like that here.

But anyway changing the subject suddenly.. great debates. Thoroughly enjoyed reading them!

Are you trying to say this isn't the Dating Forum? OMG! and here i've been thinking i can meet my new hubby here... I mutsa misread.. .

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Yes, great debate!

I am a stickler on how thread titles are worded just because one single word can change the context of the debate. I knew that I should have thrown out the word "possible" from our debate, but hey.....we all need an uphill climb from time to time.

Also, I knew nothing about reincarnation other than the fundamental basics. So I am pleased that I at least was able to put up a good enough fight to bring out the tie-breaking judge.

I will have my revenge.....soon!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
Are you trying to say this isn't the Dating Forum? OMG! and here i've been thinking i can meet my new hubby here... I mutsa misread.. .

Given that you're a female Star Trek geek with "mad artist skillz" and a very sharp mind, I'm amazed you haven't had a dozen date offers already

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My first post in the Atlantis Existed debate is up!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Challenge Match: SonoftheSun vs Daaskapital: Does Free Will Exist In Modern Society?

KAPOW!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by vkey08

Given that you're a female Star Trek geek with "mad artist skillz" and a very sharp mind, I'm amazed you haven't had a dozen date offers already

You'd be surprised, most of the private messages that aren't form the regent's election crowd or the debaters are normally guys pulling how macho and great they are and how women don't know nuttin about whatever the subject is and how I have to apologize to them for calling them out on scams and the like..

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I haven't forgotten about the Soccer vs Football rematch. If you have the time......

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
2nd post up in the ATS is a sampling of the population debate.

Over to you, Okie.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Aliens? There are no aliens (not here, anyway.)
Bigfoot? No such thing.
Most "conspiracy theories" (like 9/11 theories)? Distracting and baseless speculation.
Vampires? Demons? Ghosts? Don't believe in any of them.

Wow. You and I are so similar in belief. Save the fact that I've also tossed out the belief in Supernatural beings as well. I guess I'm a harder skeptic than you.

However, unlike you, I remain flexible in my thoughts. Things MAY exist, save the lack of proof. Once validated, I'll believe it. Possibilities? My imagination is what I thrive upon.

Then again, I believe in the multiverse theory, so, *AHEM* anything is possible.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
You're all wrong. I have proof that bigfoot is actually an alien - vampire - werewolf - leprechaun hybrid from Niburu. Sheesh people....

~Heff

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Pics or it didn't happen!

Glad to see you back around Heff. I trust all is well. Er, uhm, at least Better!

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join