It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by adjensen

Sure, which side do you want? (Disclaimer: I taught meteorology at university for two years
)

You are too fair...

Hey, maybe it was at an unaccredited Bible College

(Disclaimer: It wasn't, lol.)

Since when do unaccredited bible colleges teach meteorology? Or any bible college for that matter? You are a hoot.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
In case moderators weren't aware

TinkerHaus and I are waiting for our debate to be judged.
Not sure whether you are having trouble finding judges or whether you didn't know it was awaiting judging.

TinkerHaus vs curiousrb

Sorry for being a hassle!

We are always aware of debates that need judging. The problem is finding neutral judges that havent already judged a dozen debates. It will take some time.
edit on 9-1-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

Here's another, from about the same time, 8 days ago: Druid42 vs Sheepslayer247

I was laying back from proposing new debates and engaging, due to the holidays and judging bottle-neck, but obviously there are members who wish to start new debates, and I also can't resist the urge. Debating is fun, dag nabbit! We need to work out the kinks in the judging side.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I'd be willing to tackle the con side of that topic, but I have been pretty selfish with the debates lately. So anyone else is welcome to snag it first.

Hey, if you want to argue against reincarnation, there's at least one thread in the Religion forum that can use your attention -- my head is flat and sore from banging it up against that wall for the past week, lol.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
Since when do unaccredited bible colleges teach meteorology? Or any bible college for that matter? You are a hoot.

One of my favourite lines from one of my favourite shows:

Reminiscing about his school days: “Science was my most favorite subject, especially the Old Testament.”

-- Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Log-jams in Judging.....

From Skyfloating:

We are always aware of debates that need judging. The problem is finding neutral judges that haven't already judged a dozen debates. It will take some time.

Tis true, I went to the main debate forum page, and saw the debates that have been closed, and there are only 3 that are open. "Not judged yet", in other words. The mods close a debate thread once there a ruling.

There's an issue I have with stating "neutral" judges. A judge is a judge. Sure, there's a bit of bias, but there's also a determinant factor in the quality of the post. The judgments often exemplify that. The problem isn't really finding neutral judges, it's just in finding judges that aren't being consistently being pestered to read debates.

I find my debate peers to be impartial, in theory. We have a mutual respect biased against the fact that one must win, and one must lose. It's a fact of this forum. Someone will have a better argument, and will be proclaimed the winner. I lost, you lost, c'est la vie, the debates go on much as water is shed off a ducks back. We don't much have issues with losing a debate. We read the judgments, and yes, we learn.

The log-jams in the judging should be resolved by the most active members. Tit for tat. This Thread has a bunch of volunteers, which should be utilized sparingly, but the dice should be rolled within our own table.

Yeah, I'm not the best at analogies, but you get the idea. There's say 6 solid members in this forum, and in a crunch, they should be able to produce a judgment for the outstanding debates. Once we get the logs unjammed, we should have a flowing forum again. Either way, working together, we can figure out a solution. I'm just presenting ideas.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Agreed & Agreed !

After judgments are about up to date, I'll remind you. Or remind me.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I've been trying to get some other members to join the debate forum, to add some depth to the debater/judge pool, but I think they are a bit intimidated.

We have quite a few intelligent and savvy people in this forum and I can't blame them. Not trying to be arrogant on my part, but the average ATS'er would not survive in this forum in a structured debate.

Perhaps we should refrain from using words with more than 6 letters, or we could write out our debates in "text talk".

Wat u think yo? Iz dat cool or wat?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I can judge, debate I can't do right now i'm a little rattled and while I may be able to come up wiht nice posts to argue with people on the forum proper, debating, and focusing is way out of the realm of possibility for a bit..

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I've been trying to get some other members to join the debate forum, to add some depth to the debater/judge pool, but I think they are a bit intimidated.

We have quite a few intelligent and savvy people in this forum and I can't blame them. Not trying to be arrogant on my part, but the average ATS'er would not survive in this forum in a structured debate.

Perhaps we should refrain from using words with more than 6 letters, or we could write out our debates in "text talk".

Wat u think yo? Iz dat cool or wat?

I'd just as soon have literates judge my debates, lol.

One thing that I'd like to see is the "Fighter" tag go back to meaning someone who is active in this forum. If someone hasn't participated in a debate in some length of time, it should go away -- cool things are only cool if they mean something.

I know one guy who has the title and told me that he's "post banned" (can still log in and send U2Us, but can't post to any threads.) How can a guy be a fighter if he can't even participate in a debate?!?

ETA: As VKey pointed out, judging is participating in the forum, so judging but not debating (for a while, at least) would be okay to keep the title.
edit on 9-1-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Current Debate ideas approved.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Judgment Tinkerhaus vs. curiousb

And the winner is.....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Just make some debates about Alex Jones, video games, and gun rights and this place will fill out like a mid life crisis waist line.

Okay, go!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

It IS intimidating !! I remember when I joined, I looked at this forum for months and never EVER gathered enough courage to chime in. It took years. A lot of the participants have changed and for anyone relatively new, I am sure that it is STILL very impressive.

The thing is, once you get into the knack of it, ( hey, I'm probably the one holding the most losses in this forum's history
) you learn incredible skills: presentation, counter argumentation, searching, imagining new strategies, developing respectful and clear opinions, fighting in a debate on a position that goes against one's bias or as a judge, putting aside one's bias.

Simply, I think that anyone having the guts to throw himself/herself in this pool of debates becomes a more effective overall ATS participant, period.

And that's not even considering the wonderful friendships that develop in this area.

Just my point of view, after a few months of being a "fighter".

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Judgment Tinkerhaus vs. curiousb

And the winner is.....

Congrats to both fighters -- that was an excellent debate on both sides that I really enjoyed following along with!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I would be happy to judge debates - and am looking forward to participating in more.

I'm pretty good about keeping my personal feelings outside of an argument, and remaining objective. I love reading some of the ideas/arguments presented here - especially when it's something that completely takes me by surprise.

If you need me for anything let me know. =]

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I have two topics to toss out, looking for a debate.

1. Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide should be legal worldwide.

2. Gun control will control mass shootings.

Revisions are acceptable, and I will take either side on each.

Any takers?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

1. Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide should be legal worldwide.

This topic really caught my eye!

Euthanasia, though, is a broad term. Are we talking voluntary, involuntary or non-involuntary? If it was argued alongside assisted suicide, it would have to be " Voluntary Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide should be legal worldwide."

Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I'll agree with you. It's not for the weak of heart, and you should be prepared to get your hiney handed to you at least your first two debates. If you survive that, (some don't) that first debate win feels like you are on top of the world.

You do learn. You learn how to better present your side of the argument, and how to avoid the debate traps laid by your opponents. You honestly get something from every debate you participate in, and win or lose, you can look back, and say, "Hey, that was fun!"

If you are here to win every debate you participate in, well, sorry, it ain't happening. If you are here to learn how to become a better debater, and are willing to take a few knocks to your ego, well, then, you are in the right place. The membership presents a challenge for everyone, and I remain amazed by the quality of discussion that this forum presents.

It's something to be proud of, and to be a participant, well, it's something beyond words.

The friendships and respect engender more than just a win or loss. It defines the character of who we really are, however anonymous, in this online forum.

A person's character, once honed, shines through.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I was expressing the topic in relation to human beings terminally ill, so thanks for addressing the clarification.

The topic of:

" Voluntary Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide should be legal worldwide."

Is acceptable.

Which position were you interested in?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'd like the pro, but I already kinda-sorta agreed to a debate with Son. It would be rude of me to mess up the rotation!

The topic just really caught my eye!

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join