It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

Done.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My post is up (and so is Heff's!) in the WWW will become AI Persuasion Match

Good timing, and well orchestrated.

This one is seriously left to the judges. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

However, if stars are any indication, it'd be interesting to see who gets the most. Members, before the judges rule, go post some stars of both of our posts. I'm just curious, and it has no bearing on the official ruling.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
My final post in the Consumerism Debate, nurture or nature? with curiousrb is up.

This closes the debate, so I humbly submit it to the judges.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
During the next 3 weeks judgments may take a little longer to process as I wont be online as much. Thank you in advance for your patience.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hello,

I would like to congratulate curiousB on a first debate well fought ( I know how scary it can be to accept your first debate ) and to follow through and finish up.

Hats off to MR B and Druid for accepting and finishing this debate.

SS

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Folks just a reminder it is the holidays.

As such we mods may be un-available to reply, judge, approve etc.. as much as we would want over the next few weeks.

I myself will be spending as much time as possible looking in here specifically to make sure things are still running smoothly

Please send me a PM if you need anything done as I have a habit of missing this thread in the recent posts page where I hang out most of the time.

Happy Holidays, and thanks for making the debate forum something we can all be proud of again!

~Tenth
edit on 12/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Hello,

understood, it's understandable that things will slow down during the holiday season.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all

SS

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Thanks Spike I really enjoyed it! It was a definitely a new experience and a time consuming one, but that doesn't defer me away from more debates in future. I will wait till after Christmas for my next debate though to enjoy it with my family.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

The debate is over now, so we can openly talk about it....

I'm sorry I was so rough, but your weakness is a sharp focus. When thinking about a debate topic, you should be able to defend both sides, as much as it is to your disliking, and think about how your opponent would counter it. It makes for a stronger position overall.

Isolate yourself a bit from your position, and look at possible weaknesses in your own argument.

A formal debate, remember, is an exercise in verbal wordplay. Don't ever get discouraged. FIght to the end.

You have talent, and I'm glad you'll continue with debates. You and Spike are both newer members, and I can't stress enough that it's people like you guys who come up with new ideas, new positions, and with the willingness to debate *cough* the best, you are in fact setting the bar higher for me.

Your character is evident by your willingness to participate. I have the utmost respect for you, regardless of how long you've been a member here, by enjoining us in our verbal wordplay. Members like you are rare.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
Hello,

I would like to congratulate curiousB on a first debate well fought ( I know how scary it can be to accept your first debate ) and to follow through and finish up.

Hats off to MR B and Druid for accepting and finishing this debate.

SS

Sportsmanship is one of your highlighted qualities. I'm glad you found your way to this forum.

Still waiting for that challenge match, but it can wait til after the holidays.

Smack talk: Unless you are afraid!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

tenth steps up to the plate, he swings, and he knocks it out to the park.

It's mods like you that make ATS awesome.

The holidays will put a crimp in the debate flow, but we all know that now. Rising Against and I have post-phoned our soccer/football rematch till the new year.

IF the world doesn't end on the 21st,
then we'll know to send you all our debate u2us until after the season.

Thanks.

I'll also keep debate traffic to the min.

BTW, Heff, part 3 of the AI series, upon my request, should be postphoned till after the new year. Let me know. I'll be glad to get the pro on the last one. I am so pro AI that the first two were a struggle, and I'm ready for the steel cage and chainsaws!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Anytime, anywhere...

No but, seriously, pretty much any topic I am willing to give a go.

I would love to debate something the revolves around WW2, be it the European theater or the Pacific.

SS

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

It'll be cool to decide topics over the next few weeks, without accepting a challenge til after the holidays.

I'm a ww2 buff, but don't want that to be our first debate. List 5 topics, and I'll list five. Other members will see them, and perhaps spawn other debate ideas.

K?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

OK...

- Ancient Rome

- Alexander the Great

- Mechanized Warfare

- The Scottish enlightenment

- The British empire

I would be willing to go pro or con on any of topic, and of course discuss the details of the debate once a topic has been chosen.

SS

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

To counter...

Ancient Greece

Genghis Khan

Mounted Calvary detachments.

Irish immigration.

Russian expansion.

History buff much?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Druid42

OK...

- Ancient Rome

- Alexander the Great

- Mechanized Warfare

- The Scottish enlightenment

- The British empire

I would be willing to go pro or con on any of topic, and of course discuss the details of the debate once a topic has been chosen.

SS

Okay, I'm game...

If... Alexander the Great had Mechanized Warfare (and a time machine, lol,) he could have teamed up with Ancient Rome and beaten both Braveheart and The Scottish Enlightenment and pre-empted The British Empire!

Badda-Bing, baby!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

No worries man. I wasn't after you going easy on me. I knew what I was in for when I accepted the challenge from a top debater. I will take in what you have told me and no doubt, from seeing your debating style, I'll pick up on some valuable skills.

I enjoy this forum. Everyone has such great qualities, and everyone respects one another. It makes for a much more enjoyable time and I really appreciate the fact, we have such great mods, judges and debaters that make the forum work so well.

Have a nice Christmas everyone

Will see you all in a weeks time

edit on 19-12-2012 by curiousrb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

That's pretty funny, thinking about Alexander with a few Panzer Mark 4's, is a....interesting thought exercise to say the least

And to Druid, yes, I love history, from Ancient Greece to the the fields of Flanders...

It's all very important and fascinating, from the caliber of a particular weapon used, or the formations used to conquer most of Europa by the Roman Legions...

SS

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

That's pretty funny, thinking about Alexander with a few Panzer Mark 4's, is a....interesting thought exercise to say the least

You know me... there's usually something behind the things I propose...

Could a US Marine Battalion Destroy the Entire Roman Army? -- now that's quite the debate proposition.

There's a movie being proposed on that very subject... me, I'm not enough into military ops to present an opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Wow, that sounds cool.

My opinion, is that yes, the marines could do it.

But.

It would depend on two MAJOR factors...

1. Ammo, and lots of it!

2. Take the high ground, and hold!

If the marines can do those two things, it's game over for the Legions...

My 2 cents.

SS

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join