It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This thread provides an opportunity to call for Debates, suggest Debate topics and look for other Debaters. If you wish to start a Debate it must be approved either by a Moderator of this Forum by private message or approved in this thread. To participate in debates you also need "Fighter Status" which you can apply for in this thread or by sending a Super-Moderator a private message with the request "Can you please give me fighter status".

The new Debate Rules have been created to simplify the Debates and get more people interested in reading them. They are:

* Debates are three posts each. One post opens and defines your debate the other are the body of the debate.

* There is a character limit of 5000 words in place. Our desire for debates is that instead of turning it into a linking and referencing-fest or overstating your point, you bring your argument across in a succinct manner. Debates are meant to be fun and readable.

* As a fighter you can start and run a debate after you have gotten approval in this thread or from a Moderator of this Forum. A debate no longer needs an introduction. You start it by simply starting with your opening post. Forum Mods are:

GAOTU789
TheVagabond
Semperfortis
Hefficide
Skyfloating
xpert11
tothetenthpower
TheBorg

If you dont get a response from a Moderator, chose one that appears to be online.

Judging will be done by two judges . If the two judges vary, the Debate will be a tie. Judges should be anonymous. Do not post in this thread if you wish to judge, write one of us a PM. As a judge you should
not be invested in the topic being discussed. Should you be chosen as a judge, please judge the debate not based on your particular stance but on how well the debaters made their point.

Debate posts must not be edited once posted.

There is no longer a time-limit on when a debater must reply. However, if more than 2 weeks have passed without the debate coming to a conclusion and without word from the missing debater, the thread will be closed unless someone else is willing to take over the rest of the debate.

To gain fighter status, you must be a member in good standing and have either 200 posts or 6 months membership. Apply for fighter-status with a Supermoderator or by sending me a message. After you have received Fighter-Status you must post in this Forum within 2 weeks, otherwise the status will be revoked.
If you retreat from the Forum for more than two months your status will also be revoked. Regaining it may then take several weeks.

Tournaments will be limited to 8 fighters to prevent the fallouts of previous Tournaments. The next Tournament will be announced at a later date in a separate thread.

This new debate format is a test and may be changed in the future.

Please do not use this thread to discuss debates but rather to propose for debates with other ATSers. This might, for example, take the following forms:

"Who wants to debate with me?"

"Who would like to debate topic X with me?"

Please be respectful and within the rules of the T&C and general civility at all times. T&C Violations and excessive off-topic posting will cause you to lose first your fighter-status and finally your ATS-Account.

This Forum is for fun and education. Debates are an opportunity to really focus and pinpoint the issues surrounding any topic without all the "noise" on regular boards. Treat it well and it well treat you well.

Related: Guidelines for Judging Debates
edit on 28-12-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Great to see this thread, and for me in particular, this..

There is no longer a time-limit on when a debater must reply. However, if more than 2 weeks have passed without the debate coming to a conclusion and without word from the missing debater, the thread will be closed unless someone else is willing to take over the rest of the debate.

Before, I avoided taking part due to time constraints but reading the above, I think I will just about be able to make a debate after all, especially now that they're only 3 posts long. So, does anyone want to go at it?

edit on 31-8-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

So, does anyone want to go at it?

You bet ! As long as the debate has nothing to do with JFK...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

No deal.

Ok seriously no JFK, so.. RFK then.

You have a topic in mind?
edit on 31-8-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Would anyone like to debate me on the topic: "Iran should be allowed to work on nuclear weapons?" I would take the pro side.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

As you know, I am fairly new to the Debate Forum and haven't really looked into all that has been debated in the past. But since you had made a few threads about celebrity deaths, and I had worked a little on a thread that I never ended putting up, I thought that a Hollywood Celebrity Deaths Conspiracy Debate could be fun...

Some names do come in mind as being suspicious...
In any case, it would be a nice journey back to our recent past...What do you think?

ETA: I do realize that there are dozens of names that make that list. Really conspiracy oriented ones are: Marilyn Monroe – Bob Marley – John Lennon - Michael Jackson – Tupac Shakur – Brandon Lee – Jim Morrison – Heath Ledger. The match could be on two of those to be able to reach a reasonable point in a 3 post debate. Ideas?
edit on 31-8-2012 by SonoftheSun because: refining.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Would anyone like to debate me on the topic: "Iran should be allowed to work on nuclear weapons?" I would take the pro side.

I'd be happy to go "con" on that, if you like.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Debates thus far approved. One of you can go ahead and make an opening post. No more intros to debates required.

Happy Debating folks.

Anyone interested in JUDGING debates can contact me or another Debate-Forum Mod by PM/U2U.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

That honestly sounds like a lot of fun.

A debate on whether mysterious celebrity deaths really are a mystery at all. Let's make it happen. The only issue I have is I'm pretty much working non-stop over the weekend so let's maybe begin on Monday or maybe you post on the Sunday if possible. Oh and please bear in mind I'm working a lot anyway so this debate of ours may be a little slow let's say. It sucks but there's nothing I can do, I have to work these sucky hours. If you still want to make this happen then let's do it, I'm all for it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Sunday or Monday sound good to me also to give a go ! I'll keep in touch through PM for details needing to be discussed like pro/con and the overall topic.

Thank you for accepting, RA. This should be Fun !

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Please do keep in touch, and I'm easy, so whatever side you want, feel free to take.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I'd be happy to go "con" on that, if you like.

The first shot has been fired!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
One more thing: When opening debates, precede the title with "Challenge Match". This is what threads are called in the debate Forum and people more easily realize its not a normal thread but a debate.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'm interested in a healthy debate. I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Note: Once your debate starts feel free to post a link here to advertise for it.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Awesome set up here, simple easy and fun. I like it.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Always ready for something new
I have been gone for a while, so I could use the practice to get back into things.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I like the new rules...I'm in!!

Get ready to rumble, boys and girls!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Got any ideas for a topic Seabag?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I had a question 'bout judging. Do we u2u a mod when our debate is finished, or will they just scope out the forum to see which ones are finished?

That said, havok and mine is done, just curious.

I am open to another debate, but I'm waiting till some others get their's started, and I'll pair up with the last unmatched person. That way, I get a couple days off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join