It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked last night, and didn't know what to do!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
There is no shame in fighting "dirty". A swift forward kick to the groin will drop most any attacker, male or female. Also a good rigid chop to the neck will drop most people. When your survival could be on the line, there is no need to worry yourself with "honorable" attacks.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I've trained in jiu-jitsu, wing chun, kick boxing and aikido. Without going on about the merits of different styles, i'll say this-wing chun is the easiest to learn by far, and you'll see a difference in your ability to defend yourself after 20 lessons. We're all short of time nowadays, so I'd say wing chun is your first choice.

One more thing-know where your personal space begins and ends-if anyone but your friends or family enter it, strrike hard and fast because you wont get a second chance.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
OP, the problem with your theory of resistance and being able to take someone down is that it doesnt work. you can train for scraps, but anytime there are two attackers, even a pro fighter would be at risk. an attack from behind is always possible if you are wearing headphones...etc. the best defence is to run if attacked in the street. otherwise, fight and take your chances, trained or not.

you see the problem is knife wounds usually kill. thats right, a large percentage of people stabbed die sometime afterward. did you look to see if the kid had a knife in his pocket? did any of his friends? anderson silva would be too smart to get in that fight.

of course the lesson here is that people carry guns. thugs and citizens carry guns. anyone can kill anyone. dont worry about 'taking people down' on the street. its not realistic unless you plan to kill them or die. run. report assaults to the police. or shoot. dont try to be a badass son.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Walking down the street with headphones on is, (to me) like laying on a towel at the beach and closing your eyes... You're simply making yourself a vulnerable target for ANYTHING, and you won't see or hear it coming. I like music as much as the next guy, but when in a public place, I like to have my wits about me.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
At the risk of sounding like one of those Martial arts "experts" from the internet....I will tell you what I did and do to feel a little safer in dangerous situations.

I like to train myself to react quickly to sudden noises and movements. I started off by using alarms on phones and regular alarm clocks. I would also set TV´s and computers and such to set off random alarms for many weeks ahead of time so I would not have memory of when they were supposed to go off. I would have preset actions I would do like immediately run and shut off the alarm or when I was still training in marital arts, I would do what ever sequences (kata) I was learning at the time.

This can be weird and so I only did it as long as I was single. Now I just try to react to random events in life like a door opening, or the phone ringing and practice footing or reaction time.

It has worked. It is hard to sneak up on me, since I have conditioned myself to listen to sudden changes in sound and react to them. It gets easier the more you incorporate it into your daily routine.

The trick is to notice wind and noise. Every movement produces a change in sound and wind.

try getting used to turning completely and facing what ever produces the change. Like an "about face" drill order.... Practice footing for quick turns that dont leave you off balance and disoriented. Shift on one foot with your heel and the other with the front part of the foot that you place behind you. So first open your legs and bend you knees slightly, taking a step back and shift on the front part of your back foot and the heel of the other, then complete the movement with a step forward with the foot that is now behind you. In the process of turning you will keep your head turning first in the same direction your body is turning in to assess the situation before you commit your body to the "threat".

If you see something that causes you to react, you will naturally throw your foot or hands up towards the emerging threat as it comes into your field of vision. The trick is gaining muscle memory to throw a controlled kick or punch. You will eventually learn to cock your fist under your arm that is on the outside of your turn, or to place your leg in a slightly lifted position as it swings/steps forward. If you are indeed in a threatening situation you will be able to use the force generated from your hips turning to give you some extra power in the limited space of your turn area.

LOL

Find a good school and train everyday. Best way to feel safer.

If all else fails call an internet warrior like the one I just sounded like....

Good luck!

edit on 25-2-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
OP, your passive resistance towards your bullies will only be seen as weakness. They see you as an easy mark now. Violence is the only language they understand and respect.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I dont actually see where an attack took place...it could go under the header "A guy tried to take the piss out of me last night" or "someone startled me last night"...nothing less nothing more...

The guy was just the gang clown, he was probably following you for a good few yards making a ass of himself for the enjoyment of his turnip brained buddies....dont worry about it....or if it really gets to you and you cant sleep at night and stuff, find out where he lives and batter his spud in with a sex toy when he's sober..

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

you did the right thing walking away as you would have had to fight them all

if you hit one of them ,you see thats how they work.

cowards are brave with their mates backup

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Not sure if "attacked" is the right word, if this person never touched you, with intent of assault and battery.
Sounds more like he scared you for sure none the less.

With what you do know, perhaps it would be worth watching some UFC for a a good start. If that is too much for you, then fighting hand to hand may not be your best option.

Watch some of the first episodes, like 1-3 for example.

If that looks like some thing you could handle, then jujutsu may be in order. Ground fighting is where 95% of fights end up, the other 5% are generally KO before it goes that far.

Moral of the story, do not bebop around with your music up so loud you can not hear what is going on around you. Maybe leaving one ear free is a better way to prevent such a flanking sneak maneuver.

In any case, lesson learned.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
you could take up the Boxing.....

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

This part puzzles me.

some stupid half drunk thug kid ran up behind me and stomped as hard as he could.

Wait - you’re reacting with negativity because he didn’t attack you? Thug? What was ‘thug’ about what the guy did? Drunk - sure. A kid - sure. But thug? He didn't touch you. Sorry but - you do, you sound disappointed you didn't get stomped. I mean - even your title says you were ‘attacked‘.

Honestly I think you wish you were. Now, before you get all knickered up read on a sec.

IF he had attacked you - he wouldn’t have left you pissed off, powerless and feeling like a sucker.

All of us at one time or another have had someone pop a paper bag behind us or yell BOO! And we feel like idiots because we get scared, we react and all so people get a laugh. Yuck Yuck.

BUT! If we had been really attacked? We could have swung! We could have stomped the livin’ hat holes out a the attacker! We could a called the police! We could have done something.

Getting ‘stomped at’ by a drunk kid just leaves you powerless.

In my opinion that’s the issue. You’re pissed you felt scared due to the powerlessness

Just sayin’...

peace

Oh - and I’m glad you were not hurt.

edit on 25-2-2013 by silo13 because: says for screamed

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I encourage you to take some striking courses like Muay Thai, Karate or any that you choose and also learn some jiu jitsu or submission grappling. I always pay attention but never live my life in fear because if things go down I am more prepared than 95% of the rest of the population to defend myself. The training will no only prepare you to fight physically but also mentally which is just as important.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join