It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked last night, and didn't know what to do!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
2 in the head and one in the chest

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
First law of safety: be aware of your surroundings at all times. That means, unplug from your earphones and your podcasts.... You would have heard him approaching.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

None of this is going to be helpful if you are walking along with earphones and someone seriously wants to attack you. I bet the reason the kid did this was because he saw the earphones and knew you were a sitting duck. Lucky he only thought he would have some "fun" and scare you. If he decided to smash your skull with an iron bar, all the martial arts and weapons in the world would have been useless.

I always WTF when I see women jogging at night with earphones in. Hey lady, don't you realize you are making yourself more of a target? When I am going around at night I always watch my back, pay attention to everybody around me. Then again, I have been robbed at gunpoint. Way too many petty thugs out there willing to hurt you for small change or for no apparent reason at all.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

That my friend is where your right to bare firearms come in. Also, Have you thought about a contact tazer??? My wife and I both carry a pocket one that looks like a little cell phone and it packs 1,000,000 volts. Yes, you counted the zeros correctly. This little taser can bring anyone to their knees.

Good luck and protect yourself and your family!!!!
edit on 1-9-2012 by bernierhome because: spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
There sure are some mindless idiots around, and it it's a PITA that you came across them, but blanking out your awareness with earphones is a bit of a no-no in urban areas at night. Glad there were no further repercussions for you tho, dude.

This person is right!

This is a BIG one. Don't wear head sets in urban areas. It puts you in an extremely vulnerable position. You would have surely heard the kid coming up from behind you without them. If your in shape, and it sounds like you are, basic self defense lessons will go a long way in self pertection, like being able to run fast!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I wouldn't sweat it. Stupid teens do this crap all the time. They are all idiots. You should never walk down the street at night ...that is your first mistake, you're begging for trouble. I am a 40 year old man and I don' do that where I live for the same reason. I can fight but teens hang out in packs/gangs because they are cowards and can't fight by themselves...they need backup. Whatever you will still be outnumbered, just by pansies. This is normal and it happens more than you think, get a small can of mace or keep something sharp in your pocket to defend with. You were just another victim of societies wasted retards.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iron7
2 in the head and one in the chest

LOL, it's backwards, but I am guessing you were making a point. Like your style.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Be aware of what's around you. Being on the phone or listening to your iPod or whatever is going to interfere with that.

If you're not much of a fighter... Pepper spray, might have to look around to find it though.

Sock or small drawstring pouch full of pennies kept in a pocket might work as a weapon too, but you'd have to be ready in advance to use it.

Legality of those two things also varies. Check on your local laws.

Now if you just want to mess somebody up enough for a quick get away... Practice holding your hand with fingers slightly hooked (fingers should curl semi-relaxed) and hitting stuff really fast and hard with your fingertips. (It's going to hurt, but do as much as you can bear so you know you can hit like that.) If you can manage to do hit an area of the bottom of assailant's voicebox like that while staying above the collar bone, they're likely going down. (Be aware though that if you're too good at it, they might not ever get up.) If the throat area is not an opening, then the technique might be used against eyes, gut, or armpits but to lesser effect. (However if they know any martial arts or are expecting something like that, you still might be screwed.)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Just learn some basic striking maybe check out some boxing or kickboxing. Then you want to learn how to wrestle because grappling is always good and can save your life. Someone wants to fight you and you know how to wrestle, you could easily take him down and put him the deathlock and then call the cops. Deathlock is where you put all your body weight on the persons arms and upperbody, there basically defenseless if you trap the arms.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

Originally posted by KEMIK
Buy yourself some pepper spray.

In the absence of pepper spray, a handful of powered pepper works very well. I've got some very hot peppers that were dried and turned into powder. Even touching the powder and touching your face results in amazing burning. Ammonia in a squeeze bottle works too -- so I'm told.

Interesting. Never thought of that. I just thought of another one... coyote urine. I know it sounds strange, but they use it to keep deer from eating your shrubs and other plants. That stuff smells absolutely disgusting beyond belief, and it will not come off with just a shower or two.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That's why I don't listen to music or such things while walking at night. It's not very safe when you don't know who can be out walking at night.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If you end up taking self defense classes, keep in mind almost EVERY fight ends up on the ground. Training stand up (boxing, most forms of karate....) limits you tremendously. You are far better off with wrestling and or jui-jitsu. Besides traing MMA full-time for the better part of three years, I've been in more street fights than I can count. I'm certainly not trying to brag and there is a lot about my past that I'm not proud of, but I do speak from expierence. This world we inhabit is getting crazier by the day,and one needs to do whatever they can to ensure that they are 100% prepared to fight to the death to protect themselves, and their family.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Sorry that happened to you. By all means take a martial arts class..I'm studying Bujinkan right now..had a class today all about gun/knife takeaways, and lots of other very cool things(and very effective on the street). Once you have that confidence of knowing you can defend yourself and othersif need be..how you carry yourself changes. People can tell when they see someone that "knows some #" and that alone tends to make them think twice about stepping to you. Try it..
edit on 1-9-2012 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have studied Martial Arts for over 25 years and taught them for a living for over 15. I also have been security in a few night clubs for about 12 years, some not so safe and nice. I have a little advice if you care to hear it for a non lethal encounter and I can PM you if you would like for some advice on lethal encounters.

First off as many have said, listening to your ipod leaves you wide open for attack. If you must listen to it leave one headphone out or keep the volume low. As far as joint locks and pressure points here is my advice and opinion as a master in Korean Martial Arts as well as someone who has been in unarmed combat on the street or in a bar on a weekly if not several times a week basis.

In order to use pressure points effectively you must practice them daily for years. The reason this is the case is most pressure points are small areas that you must attack directly with sufficient "pressure" and aim. This is almost impossible to do without ingraining the attacks into your body as a reflex which take hours of repetitive practice.

The reason why it is so necessary to practice like that is that when attacked you are under extreme stress. The body automatically does what is known as an adrenaline dump. It pumps extra adrenaline into your system for the fight or flight mode, giving you more energy to run or fight. The extra adrenaline in turn diminishes the fine motor skills need to perform pin point strikes associated with pressure point attacks.
Have you ever tried to thread a needle? well try and do it while your hands are shaking and you will get my point.

As for joint locking techniques. Unless done at the exact right time during your opponents attack or done after a stunning blow has been dealt by you MOST not all joint locks will be ineffective. Joint locks are best used as a follow up to a stunning blow or as I said when your opponent is off balance and his joints are not aligned or rigid.

Even as a master if I attempt certain joint locks on a partner in a "reality" situation if he or she fight it with strength or turning into it to relieve the pressure it is difficult. but if I strike them and daze or distract them they are easier to do. The same goes for if they are attacking me and I time it right.

In a lot of karate classes and videos people practice the technique with a partner who is cooperative. This is good to learn the mechanics of the attack but not the practical application of it. After you learn the mechanics you must practice on a resisting partner. Also some people are much more flexible in their joints or they may tolerate pain better. Some drugged up or drunk or deranged person may not even care if you break his arm or wrist. Also believe it or not if they are sweaty and you attempt to manipulate their bare wrist or arm they may slip right out.

Also with pressure points, some people can take the shock to their system better than others or they may be crazy or impaired by drugs or alcohol, And believe it or not some people do not have the same pressure points. From years of striking and blocking I have deadened certain ones or built a tolerance and even built muscle over a few.

my best advice for a non lethal attack is :

A palm heel strike to the nose. It will most likely break the attackers nose causing great pain and tears may well up clouding vision. Contrary to popular myth it most likely won't kill them by driving the nose "bone" into the brain. Your nose is mostly cartilage and only a small portion attached to the skull is bone.

If you were able to generate the proper force to kill them it would be from a spider web fracture to the skull and they would die slowly or later from and eventual aneurism. The small part of the nose that is bone would never come in contact with the brain due to the fact that nasal cavity or sinuses are not straight it turns or twists.

A punch, chop or finger tip attack to the throat. Can't fight if you can't breath.

Knife hand attack to the nose, neck (near the carotid artery) or eyes. If you hit the side of neck with adequate force (not that much actually) in the area of the arteries the attacker will be severely stunned or even knocked unconscious.

Straight punch, knee or elbow to the solar-plexus. This will knock the wind out of your attacker and even potentially break the sternum. You cannot build muscle over the solar-plexus.

Straight attacks are harder to see coming and defend against than hooking or side attacks.

As for joints, a bladed edge foot attack - kick performed to the front of the knee in a downward and motion while continuing to push the knee in the wrong direction will work great as well as on to the inside or outside tearing the ACL.

If you are grabbed from behind, slam your head back into his nose breaking it or even into his teeth smashing them (and you will get cut by that) then deliver an elbow to the solar-plexus. If grabbed from the front a head butt to the nose.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Also those who say every fight ends up on the ground are flat out wrong! If you are a good enough striker it only goes to the ground if you want it too, even against multiple attackers. Especially against multiple attackers you are better off on your feet. I KNOW THIS FROM REAL LIFE COMBAT IN BARS!

All these grappling guys want to roll around on the ground and tap you out. It does not work against two or more attackers! While you are playing UFC on the ground his buddy or buddies will stomp your head in, stab you or just continue to beat you. I am not saying you should not INCORPORATE ground fighting with your striking in case you do go down. I am saying for these die hards who love grappling and think it's superior it is not enough!

Problem is, today karate schools hand out black belts like candy. So the wrestlers and grapplers beat up a couple of paper black belts and think they are the best. I have been in over 200 altercations, one on one, two on one and even more. I HAVE ONLY GONE TO THE GROUND MAYBE 5 TIMES.

A few were one on ones by choice. one was when I was bum rushed from behind by three guys and I quickly disposed of one with A STRIKE and got back up. And a couple where on ice in a parking lot.

These UFC nuts will go off and call me an idiot or yell that I am wrong. All I have to say is that they can PM and I will give them my real name. They can google me and see I am in two martial arts halls of fame and see what my lineage is. Also if they have a real affinity to prove me wrong I will meet them anywhere anytime for a REAL fight as long as the come to me or pay my airfare if needed.

I have no doubt I will be okay. I am not trying to sound arrogant I am just trying to relay the truth and separate it from opinion and myth.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (or any of the Japanese, or Russian, or American styles of Jiu Jitsu) are the most street applicable mixed martial art form out there imo. This would be your best bet.

Check out Gracie University,(it's run by Renner and Rorion Gracie, both who's father INVENTED the Ultimate Fighting challenge ie, the UFC, because they were that confident in thier style, and Royce won 3 out of the first 4 UFC's iirc)

You can get all the way up to Blue belt Certification online. Which with a Blue Belt in BJJ, you will be able to defeat any non martial artist in almost any one on one combat situation. They also have Certified Training Centers all over the world. But are based in California I believe, and Rio of course. but yea they have centers all over the States.

Krav Maga is ok, but it's mostly used for defending knife attacks and gun attacks.

Jiu Jitsu is good because even if you are 5 foot 7, and 120lbs you can still choke a 300 pound steroid action figure looking guy unconscious in 5-7 sec.(if he has no fighting training which most big guys don't).

Royce Gracie proved at the very first few UFC's that BJJ is the strongest martial art period: if you were to pit each style against other styles. But nowadays you would be a fool to train in only one discipline. Wrestling/Judo/Sambo are probably the best bases. Then you'll need Striking. Kickboxing, or Muay Thai is best ,imo and then most importantly you'll need to know submissions how to use them and how to avoid them.

Once a fighter Versed in Jiu-Jitsu gets a Pure striker to the ground, in w/ thier opponent on top "in thier guard", it's over. Because a pure Striker is like a fish out of water on the ground, they do not know how to defend submissions at all, and they don't even know how to get the fight back to a standing position. Also the techniques to get a pure striker to the ground are VERY easy, it's very likely you'll be able to clinch him and take him down or pull guard, than the very slim chance the pure striker is going to land that perfect one punch KO. or the one perfect head kick KO. Sure it can and does happen, but percentages are extremely in your favor using Gracie techniques.

Good Luck
edit on 1-9-2012 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
May I suggest perhaps a Glock Model 17 or 22 open carried on your hip. A great deterent to being a victim....of anything. Proper permits and registration of course. And be sure to check your local laws & ordinaces.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I would suggest not listening to your pod cast, it's not a surprise that you were surprised like that. I have to say though, someone stomping their foot behind you is hardly what I would call an attack. Rude, harassing and startling sure, but not an attack.

I remember growing up that the first rule of being out in the evening alone was to be aware of your surroundings. You can't be aware of what is going on if you are listening to a pod cast. Even if you just took out one ear bud so you can hear things. It's much harder to fight someone off if you are caught unaware. It takes you a while to figure things out enough to fight someone off. Seems that the real issue isn't how you would fight someone off, but being more aware of your surroundings.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

The strongest martial art period? Maybe in a ring WITH RULES. There are no true rules on the street. As I stated before Striking arts are more street efficient. If you can find a REAL school. Most schools hand out rank like candy.

Seriously try to grapple someone on the street. First off it is made of concrete it is not a padded ring. Secondly there are no rules or a referee to end the match if you're hurt or he taps out. Also try grappling your attacker when his buddies or drunken bystanders may stomp your head in or worse while you try and submit choke out or dispatch your opponent.

Don't get me wrong I believe in learning grappling AS AN ADDITIVE TO STRIKING. Truthfully to say any Martial art is the strongest is just plain naive. And naivety can get you killed. As I mentioned I have trained in multiple arts for over 25 years and taught for a living as well as being a bouncer in some pretty messed up bars.

NO MARTIAL ART IS THE STRONGEST! You must combine them to suit your needs and to be well rounded.

I do want to say I agree with what you said about cross training.
edit on 11/12/2010 by kcs7272 because: added more info

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
When you do go for a run check for various environmental factors. Go for well lit areas for your run. Stay away from shrubs,bushes, and trees. Be aware of what is normal for an area and what is not normal. The guy who was staring at you was studying you. He was probibly thinking, "Look at this guy. Let's have some fun." It was also a show of dominance. In that situation, acknowledge people as you are going by so they know you saw them. A glance, nod, or wave show be enough. They may think, "Whatever", but you made it clear that you know they are there.

Listen for dogs and birds. Dogs in a neighboorhood will go apesh#t if someone other than thier owner in near thier territory. On the other hand, birds may not sing if a "predator" is in the area. Keep that in mind at least. This gets back to know what is normal for an area.

Many people run with thier dogs. I've found that German Shepards are great companions and are very protective. Attackers would be hard pressed to chose you if you have some fur and teeth at your side. Pepper gel is the way to go. If you can, find the highest % of capsin you can get. Bear spray...its like the shotgun of sprays. It's more of a spectater dissapter. Save it for burglers. Keep you phone on you. Not only to call but also video recording subjects.

Close quarters is the last option. Keep running if you can. Otherwise, an open palm strike can be effective for knocking them down and winding them.(palm strike comes from the hip so put your whole body into it).

Mainly, this is brainstroming and hope this helps. If you are interested in a formal defence, my fav is Krav Maga. It's very practical and can be picked up quickly. Remember, in a omg situation, psychology is just as important as anything else. You have to say to yourself, "I am not going to be a victim! I must defend to win!"

One last thing. When talking to the police, say, "I was afraid they were going to kill me! I was afraid for my life!" It makes very clear what your intentions were and that your not the aggressor.
Sorry for the long post, but I feel it was important to get it all out.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join