It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked last night, and didn't know what to do!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
How about you take some classes in Boxing or Kickboxing? You'll be more than ready for a fight when you've be hit in the head enough times by people that actually practice the same sport.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Be aware of your surroundings, and avoid walking alone in dodgy areas if you can. Common sense and being alert will help you avoid 99% of violent encounters for that 1%, if you cant run away, then you need to know how to handle yourself. Learning self defence will usually help you focus and be more aware of your surroundings anyway. As Bruce Lee said, "the art of fighting without fighting".

I personally recommend learning Wing Chun for standing fighting, its simple, direct, effective and doesn't rely on strength or speed so it will last you into old age and against bigger/faster attackers. If your wing chun fails you and you end up on the ground some Brazilian Ji-Jitsu will be useful. The concepts for BJJ are similar to wing chun, controlling your opponents centre whilst protecting your own and using your body structure so they should complement each other nicely.

Hope you never have to use self defence.
Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
With your left hand spread your fingers and repeatedly poke his eyes, with your right hand use your finger knuckles(not your main hand knuckles) and jab them into his throat, then ram you knee up into his balls as if you are trying to lift him up.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh and you weren't attacked bro...common now. Come live in my area, then you will know the difference.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

At the risk of saying too much, I will attempt to clarify things a little bit, I suppose. The trick is to view your opponent as an inverted pyramid. Take out the bottom, and the whole shebang falls. I find that a dislocated knee will stop even the most determined attacker.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
www.scribd.com...

Step 1 is read that. All of it, no skipping parts.

Step 2 is to utilize what you think you read.

there is nothing you could have done to prevent that attack since you were busy listening to your podcast.
situational awareness is a major factor of combat.
your eyes should have been locked on the environment while your mind focus' on potential threats.
you can do this 100% of the time without thinking about it if you work at it.
my situational awareness never turns off when I leave my front door, I can be standing in the line at the grocery store but I still examine potential threat targets.. it's important if you value your life.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
you allowed yourself to get distracted listening to your headphones - ALWAYS pay attention to your surroundings know who / what is around you at all times.
.. that was mistake number 1 ... misake number 2 was letting them walk away ....

your lucky this time - it could have been much worse ...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I have a mace type that is on Velcro and stays on the wrist and sits in the palm ready to go, it is comfortable to have and I always carry it when alone.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

If you think that you will not be able to defend yourself in such a case, i for one strongly believe in a self defense class.

Something to the effect of Tae Kwon do or kickboxing should help you in that department.

Or train yourself, you'd be surprised what help buying a kicking bag and teaching yourself would do,
Mike

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
1st) Dont wear your earphones when running, music distracts you from your surroundings.

2nd) You should consider taking up krav maga and parkour ( krav maga will teach you how to fight, parkour will teach you how to run away).

3rd) walking away was the best thing to do, otherwise his mates would of kicked your head in.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by ZerkerVirus
Take some boxing class & you won't have to think of anyone actually trying to hurt you.
Since you'll know what to do by then.

Originally posted by ruderalis1
Sign up with a local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor...Most fights end up on the ground so knowing Jiu Jitsu will prob save your ass...Unless the guy attacking you is a monster, then you need to shoot him lol

But yeah Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.

And a concealed weapons permit

None of this is going to be helpful if you are walking along with earphones and someone seriously wants to attack you. I bet the reason the kid did this was because he saw the earphones and knew you were a sitting duck. Lucky he only thought he would have some "fun" and scare you. If he decided to smash your skull with an iron bar, all the martial arts and weapons in the world would have been useless.

Did you even read the entire post? He said he was unsure about his ability to defend himself. Now hes seeking advice on what he can do to learn how to defend himself in any encounter in general....Not only situations when hes dorking around with headphones on and some D-bag comes sneaking behind him.

I provided solid answers that would cover a lot of scenarios. In a physical confrontation Wrestling is one of the best skills to learn when you want to take someone down (imo). And then when you want to finish the job you can ground and pound, or there is the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu option. Get good enough and you can apply all sorts of chokes and joint locks that can help you defeat even bigger opponents.

Sure you can learn boxing and muay thai and that helps. In my personal opinion I would rather control a guy on the ground, where most fights end up, than risk going toe to toe with a guy. In stand-up there is always the risk that you get tagged right on the button and its lights out or. And some guys are just going to be too big or too much to handle and either way it can get ugly

Ultimately I would advise carrying a firearm. Pulling a pistol out and just pointing it at the attack is enough to make them back off, no need to pull the trigger. But for them times you meet that one crazy mofo...You shoot

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Well, one method I always stick to is the awareness color code:

White: Mindless stupor.

Yellow: Aware of Surroundings.

Orange: Attention Getting

Red: Taking Action

Black: Panic.

It's been around for a while - the guy in this video explains it fairly well, but you can also google it. A great way to compartmentalize levels of awareness though, if you ask me. Especially when you need to take action.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Carry a weapon.
I always leave my house with my knife incase some idiot wants to prove to me how stupid they are.
You never know what might happen ya know?Better to have SOMETHING than nothing.
Your situation sounded like you easily could have taken their "Fun" they were having and warped it into a "serious" threat against them if you were properly armed....knowing how peoples psyche works can work as a weapon to if you know how to use it...

Also...from reading your post I could't tell if you were attacked or not?did they only startle you,or did they actually ATTACK you?

If one of them was walking really close to you it could have just been a joke...invading strangers "bubbles" to make them feel uncomfortable,cant say I haven't done that with a few friends before.
Anyway you should be wary of the neighborhood/area you live in.
edit on 12/29/11 by ArtOfTrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Keep your head on a swivel and aways be aware of your suroundings, also listening to your podcast made you a target because they could see you were not aware.

I used to live in a rough neigborhood, I had a guy drive up beside me, pull out a gun and tell me to get in his car....I brushed him off and kept walking, the idiot thought I would be scared and hop in.....I rather this a**hole try and shoot me in broad daylight infront of people then be raped, killed and dumped in a secluded area.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

Try this guys videos, he explains moves simply he has a vast Youtube Chanel that pretty much covers any situation. RAW COMBAT INTERNATIONAL

love and harmony
Whateva

Awesome videos

thank you for sharing them

Here you go this should help you learn a few things

edit on 31-8-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ruderalis1
Ultimately I would advise carrying a firearm.

Originally posted by ArtOfTrance
Carry a weapon.

This is only an option if you live in the US. You will be charged if you did this in Canada.
Self-defense, hand to hand combat is vital to your survival here. It is the only means at ones disposal.
Only criminals and police carry weapons. I compensated by learning everything about fighting.
Situational awareness is really the only way. Avoid the conflict.
If it occurs, end the conflict the only way you can. Knowledge.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by KEMIK
Buy yourself some pepper spray.

In the absence of pepper spray, a handful of powered pepper works very well. I've got some very hot peppers that were dried and turned into powder. Even touching the powder and touching your face results in amazing burning. Ammonia in a squeeze bottle works too -- so I'm told.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
OMG, you people are so ready to jump the gun.

Don't know what to do?

Call the bloody cops!!!

Honestly the little bstrd has just committed an assault. (At least that's what it is in Canada. If someone touches you without your permission, it's considered assault). If he's gotten away with it with you, he'll likely escalate it and start doing it to other people. Maybe an elderly lady who has a heart attack.

THEN you can consider doing other things... I like the Bujinkan myself because we don't train for sport so aren't trained to do "legal" hits...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Take the situation for only what it was...just as you described. Dont add anything to it. A youngster messed with you.

as stated, you learned something from it.

Pay attention to your surroundings?

Walk with one ear bud out and only volume to hear script.

There is nothing wrong with playing a coward, so long as you maintain in control of a confrontation. See what I am saying here?

with that, you only need to stay alive. There can be savings in human life if there are not 2 half calked pistols roaming the streets.

Notice I never said you were not a bad ass? Do you follow what I am saying here?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry
OMG, you people are so ready to jump the gun.

Don't know what to do?

Call the bloody cops!!!

Honestly the little bstrd has just committed an assault. (At least that's what it is in Canada. If someone touches you without your permission, it's considered assault). If he's gotten away with it with you, he'll likely escalate it and start doing it to other people. Maybe an elderly lady who has a heart attack.

THEN you can consider doing other things... I like the Bujinkan myself because we don't train for sport so aren't trained to do "legal" hits...

"Hi Cops, a bad man tried to scare me............."

Cop: "did you see the individual that tried to assault you?"

vic:"Well no it was dark but it appeared to be a group"

Cop:"Well how many in the group?"

vic" I dont know 5-6-7"

Cop" What was there racial color? Can you describe them?"

vic: "Well no, ah, ah. it was dark and I was um......."

Cop: "Well thanks Mr.ATS poster I will keep in touch with you, have a nice day."

That about how that would go down? Just sayin!

ETA: Assault is Intent...verbal and body language
Battery is the touching...........see ya!
edit on 31-8-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join