It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked last night, and didn't know what to do!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Last night I had my mind shaken to the core. As I was taking my nightly walk after my run, just minding my business enjoying a podcast of "Stuff You Should Know", some stupid half drunk thug kid ran up behind me and stomped as hard as he could. Startled me a little and ticked me off a lot, so I turned around sneered at him and walked away, while his buddies whooped and hollered for a minute or two at me.

As I walked away I realized something, I never heard a thing until he was right there behind me. So he could basically have done anything to me and I would have been helpless. I like to think of myself as a prepared survivalist. I know most of the methods of creating fire, I know how to find/ gather water, I know basic trap making, and how to make basic tools and weapons out in the bush. I know basically everything I would ever need to survive in the wilderness except how to fight.

Sure I'm athletic, I run 20 miles a week, weight train 4 days a week, and do yoga 3 days. But I don't really know the first thing about fighting someone, I have only ever been in one fight in my life and that was in second grade so I don't really count it. I know a lot about pressure points, and the limitations of human joints, but I don't really know how to utilize it in combat.

So I was sitting on the couch last night after the incident trying to make it seem like the whole thing didn't bother me. Trying to think of what I would have done, and I came to the conclusion that I didn't know. I had no clue what I would have done if that guy had come up behind me and tripped me to the ground or just flat out kidney punched me. So I now realize that I need to do something about this. I need to know what to do in order to take down another human being.

edit on 31-8-2012 by bigcountry08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
If your seriously concerned take a self defense class, and or purchase some mace, tazer, collapsible baton, and or any number of non lethal options.

There are more options depending on where you live, if in the US, there is always a CCW permit, but thats kind of a nuclear option when just dealing with punk kids.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
There sure are some mindless idiots around, and it it's a PITA that you came across them, but blanking out your awareness with earphones is a bit of a no-no in urban areas at night. Glad there were no further repercussions for you tho, dude.

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If you are walking around listening to podcasts you are open to anything. Survivalist or not one of the biggest and best natural weapons of defense are listening out for danger. You need your ears open matey, you were born with them, you need to use them.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Take some boxing class & you won't have to think of anyone actually trying to hurt you.
Since you'll know what to do by then.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

Good luck with whatever you choose, but make sure you think through whatever that choice is before you decide. For example (albeit this may be a slightly extreme example), don't buy a gun if you have no training and don't know how to use it. While it is certainly an understandable reaction to want to do something now, doing so without thinking things through would be a VERY bad idea.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

One of the best arguments I've ever heard for a person having a concealed carry permit and getting rid of that earful of stupid, distracting-from-the-real-world noise maker. But you don't see it that way do ya?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Sign up with a local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor...Most fights end up on the ground so knowing Jiu Jitsu will prob save your ass...Unless the guy attacking you is a monster, then you need to shoot him lol

But yeah Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.

And a concealed weapons permit

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Try this guys videos, he explains moves simply he has a vast Youtube Chanel that pretty much covers any situation. RAW COMBAT INTERNATIONAL

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
it is a strange world we live in when you have to watch your back and be prepared for anything these days. always be on your guard regardless of where you are and be ready at any time to defend yourself. sad world we live in.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZerkerVirus
Take some boxing class & you won't have to think of anyone actually trying to hurt you.
Since you'll know what to do by then.

Originally posted by ruderalis1
Sign up with a local Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor...Most fights end up on the ground so knowing Jiu Jitsu will prob save your ass...Unless the guy attacking you is a monster, then you need to shoot him lol

But yeah Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu.

And a concealed weapons permit

None of this is going to be helpful if you are walking along with earphones and someone seriously wants to attack you. I bet the reason the kid did this was because he saw the earphones and knew you were a sitting duck. Lucky he only thought he would have some "fun" and scare you. If he decided to smash your skull with an iron bar, all the martial arts and weapons in the world would have been useless.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Sorry to here your story.
First off never use both ear phones as you are separating your self from the world around you, and if you dont hear them coming it wont matter if you can fight or not.
Now as for learnin to fight you have just opened the door to loads of posts from the my art is better than your art people.
As a 43 year old who has been a practising martial artist since a child there are a few things you have to understand before you choose an art,
1.sport fightin does not work in a real life situation as your opponent will not obay your rules.
2.grappling is great in a one on one fight but i cant remember the last time i saw such a thing, the last thing you want is his mate stamping on your head while you are squeezing the life out of the first attacker.
3.any school is only as good as the teacher.
4.and this is the most important one, you can put the man in the fight but you cant put the fight in the man.

Good luke in your search and remember if it works for you, then use it.There are no rules in a real fight.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about the attack. My dad was heavy into martial arts while I was growing up. One of the first things he taught me was to always be aware of my surroundings. I learned this lesson the hard way when I was about 16. I was at an A&W restaurant with my girlfriend. We were sitting a table facing the wall with my back to the crowd. Out of the blue my girlfriends ex boyfriend smashed a root beer mug over my head. I went down like a ton of bricks. I learned my lesson. I now sit with my back to the wall.
It sounds like you were taken completely by surprise by the attack, so self defense training would not have prevented it. If the attack continued and you are not incapacitated by the initial blow it would have come in handy.

The best defense is knowing your surroundings to eliminate the possibility of a surprise attack. I hope you decide to get some training, not only for your protection, but also for the confidence and peace of mind you will gain.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Its your right to defend yourself
you dont have to have a knife like Eli lol
if anyone hostile threat you in any way
you have the right to break his arm if he touch you or try to hurt you
just give a warning first and stay extremely focus to your surrounding
make sure you can see everything that is around you
and find another "door" if you have a bad feeling
violence must be the last resort ..
try to reason with them first and see what they want
never panic in front of them .. thugs like the fear
so they can feel like gods filling their negative ego
never let them play a game on you .. make them know that you are the game in town

hope it helps .. oh almost forgot.. the adrenaline rush is normal btw lol
you can use it to emplify your personal skills if your mind is clear of thoughs
so you need to breath calmy in any situation you face because when your adrenaline start ..
you will be a train full speed ahead lol
but it drain a lot of energy in you .. you will feel tired after and you will think about your incident
better be proud of yourself then having regrets because you lost your focus at the worst moment
it take only one mistake to make a bad chain reaction
it can change your life forever if you create a bad butterfly effect
you are the only one controlling you .. no one can control you unless you let them control you

Originally posted by Suspiria
If you are walking around listening to podcasts you are open to anything. Survivalist or not one of the biggest and best natural weapons of defense are listening out for danger. You need your ears open matey, you were born with them, you need to use them.

thats another very good point
listening music is when you are at home not in the open
thugs will see your white eartphones ..
they know they can sneak on you and that you have something valuable on you
edit on 8/31/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ruderalis1

Jiu-jutsu is my favorite martial art for a few reasons ! It is well rounded , strikes, kicks , ground defense, joint locks , weapons later on . Suited for real life situations , but best of all is the contact sparring which prepares you for an actual fight . Other martial arts that have katas you're not actually fighting an opponent whereas jui-jutsu you're always sparring or practicing with an opponent and I find it prepares you mentally as well as physically for a confrontation .

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08
Last night I had my mind shaken to the core. As I was taking my nightly walk after my run, just minding my business enjoying a podcast of "Stuff You Should Know", some stupid half drunk thug kid ran up behind me and stomped as hard as he could. Startled me a little and ticked me off a lot, so I turned around sneered at him and walked away, while his buddies whooped and hollered for a minute or two at me.

As I walked away I realized something, I never heard a thing until he was right there behind me. So he could basically have done anything to me and I would have been helpless. I like to think of myself as a prepared survivalist. I know most of the methods of creating fire, I know how to find/ gather water, I know basic trap making, and how to make basic tools and weapons out in the bush. I know basically everything I would ever need to survive in the wilderness except how to fight.

Sure I'm athletic, I run 20 miles a week, weight train 4 days a week, and do yoga 3 days. But I don't really know the first thing about fighting someone, I have only ever been in one fight in my life and that was in second grade so I don't really count it. I know a lot about pressure points, and the limitations of human joints, but I don't really know how to utilize it in combat.

So I was sitting on the couch last night after the incident trying to make it seem like the whole thing didn't bother me. Trying to think of what I would have done, and I came to the conclusion that I didn't know. I had no clue what I would have done if that guy had come up behind me and tripped me to the ground or just flat out kidney punched me. So I now realize that I need to do something about this. I need to know what to do in order to take down another human being.

edit on 31-8-2012 by bigcountry08 because: (no reason given)

take 7 of those miles and 2 days a week and go to kick boxing classes! one love...... and forget the headphones!!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigcountry08
I need to know what to do in order to take down another human being.

I would recommend Aikido. It's got the other person's well being in mind. They might not be in the right frame of mind and acting stupid and don't deserve to be paralyzed by your reaction.

however, if you don't care about that.. go Israeli and learn Krav Maga. it's very effective.

or .. learn both and use each for the proper scenarios each calls for.
edit on 8/31/2012 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thanks for all the support guys, on my way back afterwards I took out the headphones, it really shocked me how vulnerable it made me. I normally carry a defense flashlight and a pocket knife with me where ever I go, but it's kind of a pain while running, maybe I could get one of those necklace types. it's kind of funny though all of my coworkers give me a hard time about carrying a flashlight, but we have had about 3 blackouts now at work and each time they yell my name.

my only problem with taking classes is the money, with a wife and two kids 50 bucks a month is a huge deal.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Im really impressed the OP is so honest and not putting on a tough guy front. Im kinda stunned.

OP what kind of neighborhood do you live in? How serious are you about protecting yourself? Considering your weekly regimen I bet you would actually beat some ass in a fight.

I carry a gun and have my dog with me when I walk at night, but if thats not your bag grab some good mace. Kimber has a pretty darn good little pepper spray thing for about 40 bucks. I bought my Mom one and insisted my aunt take one too.

I have some more advice, but its going to have to wait. 6 am should not be bed time. Expletive.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

my neighborhood is fine, the trash just moved in about a month ago, my wife has seen the guy who rents the apartment (his friend is the one who did it)on his back porch which unfortunately faces ours with his hands down his pants while he's smoking. There real class acts. I have no problem with guns other than the cost, I own 2 already, but I don't have the funds for a handgun. I have read up on mace and pepper spray and to me there's to many variables that can turn the stuff against you and end up blinding yourself.

I'm not a tough guy and I don't try and act like one, I mean I'm not some sissy weenie either I just wasn't brought up to be a chest puffer, and swing at anything that comes at you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join