It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon threatens ex-Navy SEAL over book on bin Laden raid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Pentagon threatens ex-Navy SEAL over book on bin Laden raid

The former Navy SEAL who just wrote a book about the Osama bin Laden raid is in violation of the non-disclosure agreements he signed, the Department of Defense General Counsel said Thursday. General Counsel Jeh Johnson wrote in a letter to "Mark Owen," the author’s pen name, that by selling his book he aggravates the violation. "We've got to get serious about leaks of classified information," a senior Defense official told NBC News. "As unpalatable as it may seem to go after this Navy SEAL, if we do nothing there is no deterrence, nothing to prevent others from doing the same." Follow @NBCNewsUS Advertise | AdChoices The letter, sent via the attorney at Penguin Putnam publishing, explains that Owen signed two separate non-disclosure agreements on Jan. 24, 2007, and that he has an obligation to "never divulge" classified information.

I have to agree with the pentagon on this one. He is knowingly violating the agreement that he signed and putting others at risk doing so. Imo he is also a hypocrite because he is part of a group that is screaming the white house is leaking secrets and he does the same thing in this book. All I can say is i hope the money he makes off this book is worth selling out his fellow soldiers.

CX

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Maybe they are coming down hard on this guy because they don't want others jumping on the bandwagon....and divulging what really happened that day.

CX.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

How is this anything new I been reading about this for a month. Let them release the book its not like hundreds of people have already read the thing. So who is going to stop them from releasing the info? They didn't sign any papers saying that they can't post it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
sorry, but when i joined the REME in the British Army when I was younger, I signed the official secrets act and no way could I talk about what I had seen or done. I expect the same is true for America so this is completely wrong in him doing this and also the damage it has done to our boys over there and here as well.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican

How is this anything new I been reading about this for a month. Let them release the book its not like hundreds of people have already read the thing. So who is going to stop them from releasing the info? They didn't sign any papers saying that they can't post it.

If you were ever in the military you would know that you do sign non disclosure agreements. He could cause the deaths of other black ops by giving away info of how they operate. This book hasn't been in the news for a month so how have you been reading about this for a month?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican

If you were ever in the military you would know that you do sign non disclosure agreements. He could cause the deaths of other black ops by giving away info of how they operate. This book hasn't been in the news for a month so how have you been reading about this for a month?

Um im in the army.

Point made. I know what goes on.

Its been in the news for more than 3 days you know.

edit on 31-8-2012 by TheCaucasianAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Fu** that #. Fu*** non disclose agreement. They are lying to the world and the whole nation. I don't care about any non disclosure. For too long this has been used to cover up lies and deceit. You can keep on preaching about agreements....but in reality....

Truth should always take precedence over any agreement.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
isnt this on par with what manning and assange did? why isnt this joker locked up?
national security and all

but he wont because this whole bin laden raid is a pentagon charade.

whats good for the goose should be good for the gander
edit on 31-8-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I also agree with any NDA's, but if we're going to hold service people accountable to it, we also need to stop any classified leaks from the morons in Washington DC, whether it be Congress or the White House or anywhere else. They have the potential to cause much more damage than what's in this book. The contents are also probably half fact and half fiction, or this guy would be in jail and the publisher would have an injunction against publishing.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I am stumped...that you would suggest that military men should keep quiet about illegal activities, lie to the nation you are "defending" and it's people, kill "innocents"...

and they should just do what????

keep quiet about it because they signed "non-disclosure" agreement ????

I think I'm gonna puke my guts out. And instead being enraged about this whole thing...you start preaching about non disclosure.

What a world....

ps.

Dear Aliens....please...please...please....

come get me the fu** out of here....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I don't buy it, government officials had to approve the content in the book before it was released.

This whole thing is just to convince people we really killed Osama.

A CIA spy wrote a book and had to get it approved by the gov. They blacked out half of the things I really doubt a publisher would print unapproved classified things...they could end up in a legal mess.

^ How they censored the CIA spy book....they would have done the same thing to the navy seal

edit on 31-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

So Obama's people approved a book which states that he was lying during the killing of OBL, and that they killed an unarmed, non resisting man? And not only that...but approved it couple of months before the presidential elections.

I wish I had your brain....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
addendum:

Now that I think of it...it makes sense after reading these posts. General public is more concerned about non disclosure agreements than a fact that a crime has been committed. And nicely coverd up and painted as self defense.

Land of the free and the brave...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly
[more[

The banking cartel is favoring Romney, (donation wise) so yes, a book dissing Obama or making him look bad is on the agenda.

Either that or he had a publisher that did not care he was stating classified information. They probably sold a lot of books with all this attention they are getting.

edit on 31-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I thought that Pentagon answers to the president ? or do they answer to the banking cartel ? You said government approved....

So what is your government ?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
All publicity is good publicity. All this is going to do is make people more intrigued as to what is written in the book. Therefore increasing sales. Yet another way of shoving the official story down people's throats.

Government is trying to hard to make you believe. People need to wake up and realise they are being forced into believing something.

st.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Maybe they are coming down hard on this guy because they don't want others jumping on the bandwagon....and divulging what really happened that day.

CX.

Did 20 years in Special Ops and yep your right. If U.S. people knew everything the military does which lots is on tape...lots of high level heads would roll.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Look at it this way: With all of the covert and black projects being done by the miliitary and intelligence agencies in addition to standard government practices they don't want you to know about, they must put a stop to such leaks to keep their projects rolling as they wish.

Remember, government is sacred, so therefore it must be allowed a good measure of secrecy in doing its duties for the sake of itself and its continunity. (I think the general tone of that is on a plaque somewhere in DC or maybe laid in the floor of the CIA.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Hmmm...now they are threatening a Seal over telling the truth, arresting other military personnel and holding them, Police have been caught on video harassing veterans. Does anyone else here get the feeling that if they continue to push these guys around anymore that we could quit possibly be seeing a serious internal conflict arising. A coup perhaps? It seems almost like they are trying to get them to. Jesus what is going on here? Have we really gotten to this point?
edit on 8/31/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Let's us speak plainly for a moment. The pentagon isn't mad about him releasing the book, or the info it contains, they are mad about the fact they flat out lied to the American public again, and this soldier who better just shut up and toe the line, has revealed the truth to the world, it is the same story with assange.

Why does their "secrecy" about any subject they choose get to trump the truth? It is nonsensical, everytime they get caught with their hands in the cookie jar they scream the same lame line " national security". Our nation is less secure because of these lies, not more so.

I know how about we just "even the playing field" a bit, isn't that what they are talking about all the time? We just let all criminals claim national security or executive priveledge, or non disclosure about any and all criminal activity. This is the same thing they are doing isn't it? Flat out lying, about potential criminal acts, and then invoking some lame assed reason to keep it secret?

I think every single person in the world has a universal right to speak the truth about any subject at any time. If they have nothing to hide, than why are they trying so hard to hide it?

top topics

join