It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do if Your Child Said They Wanted To Join the Armed Forces?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

After 18, you can advise, support (not enable), encourage.

But discipline, etc?

My oldest is 20. He went hungry a few times before he found a work ethic. I think those times were harder on my wife and I than hm.

Absolutely.

Well....i am kind of a butthole. And I know it. But work ethic....that is right up there with discriminatory prejudice with me. It is far harder on my wife than it is on me. But that is because she takes things really hard, while I tend to be more methodical and calm in how I approach things like that.

No, i don't discipline (in a physical sense) my children. Especially now that my 14 year old is larger than i am. But I do withdraw my support as a form of discipline. And I can do that with anyone. If they care about my support, it works. If they don't, it doesn't. From there it is just pulling the correct levers to create the appropriate response. Same as managing people in a business.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I would try to convince them to join the coast guard. Less chance of combat and a mission that seems much more admirable then what the other forces are currently doing.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman
Just a little poll I would like to run here. First let me say, I have NOTHING, but the utmost respect for ALL who have ever, or are currently serving our country. Thank you so much for all you gave!!! That being said, sometime in the past 20 or so years, it seems many, myself included, have been forced to stop being proud of country, and have become ashamed of our government instead. The atrocities our government has carried out, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, not to mention possibly even attacking its own citizens, in an attempt to fight more wars. So this is where my question comes in.
Your early teenage child comes to you and says they want to join the military when they come of age. I am curious what ATSers think their response would be. I mean, you should usually support your child in what they choose to do with their life. It is a VERY proud tradition in alot of families, and should be a very proud thing to do. I had always wished I had served my country when I was young. However, knowing the "machine" of war the government has waged against people it should not have, I am not sure it is such a proud decision for one to make anymore.
There you have it, what would you do, support them, or talk them out of it?

There are plenty of ways for your pride and joy to serve his/her country within the military without being in a constant state of danger. There are cooks, nurses, pastors, supply clerks, etc. I think you see what I'm getting at. If your child decides that the military isn't for them after joining, the government still looks out for them by giving them "point" advantages over other applicants when applying for Federal jobs. If there are intern positions open, former service members usually get selected to fill the majority of the open slots. If you get deployed, the per diem pay can be VERY nice on top of your regular pay.

If they are dead set on it, perhaps you can encourage them to join a branch that's least likely to see any action. No disrespect to the other branches, but I like the Navy folks the best.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

I would feel like a complete failure as a parent that somehow never passed on any morals.

If we ever get to a point as a nation where we had an actual defense force that never left our borders, then I'd be totally cool with that. But I'm never going to condone my children whoring out to a bunch of war profiteers by killing sovereign foreigners.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
My son has just enlisted in the Army National Guard and I am proud of him..... He made a decision based on what he wants from this life and what he wants our country to be.... Without those we would not have the freedoms and liberties that we have and enjoy, like ATS.... albeit I do not always agree with tptb and their choice of war, but I do agree with my son... each person can make a difference, if they just stand up to make that difference...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Originally posted by zerozero00
reply to post by Suspiria

Not only that, the risk of mental illness is ridiculously high
edit on 31-8-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

One becomes a paid murderer when they enlist???
Funny thing, I served about 10 years, and NEVER had to kill anyone, funny how that works huh?

I personally have come to the conclusion that EVERYTHING we do here in the USA contibutes to death in some fashion, and to say one is worse than the other is double standard el crappo.
Thanks for putting it on the line.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by belindamck
My son has just enlisted in the Army National Guard and I am proud of him....

And so are MILLIONS of others that he doesnt even know. Including myself.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Show him pics of veterans who were dismembered in the Afghanistan war after stepping on or driving over I.E.D.s and ask him how he would like not having arms or legs anymore, or possibly being dead.

Excellent idea. And if he still says "lets do it" Id say hes got what it takes.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

reply to post by Suspiria

So you're happy for your son to become a paid murderer??

Or even be murdered...all in the name of Corporations?

Sad, So sad!

edit on 31-8-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

One becomes a paid murderer when they enlist???
Funny thing, I served about 10 years, and NEVER had to kill anyone, funny how that works huh?

You signed up as a paid killer, ready to kill as and when your lying cheating corrupt government tells you too

I feel for the brainwashed masses who actually believe they are signing up for the right reasons.........there is no right reason to join the military .....people just think there is

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

So you're happy for your son to become a paid murderer??

You don't murder in combat. You kill. There is a difference.

Baby Jesus wept. Once again, the whole, "Everyone that goes into the service is or will become a junkie, or homeless, or have PTSD" comment.

Now that's pretty sad.

You don't murder you kill??

That is a sick warped way of thinking, if that makes you murder people easier then your brainwashers have done their job well

To take another life because you're told too is quite horrific and very very sad

You are extremely ignorant to PTSD and the difficulties soldiers face when returning from tour.......find some humanity will you

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663
reply to post by zerozero00

You obviously have no idea of that which you are speaking.

Ugh?
I have a very good idea about this topic thanks
What's your input here, I would be interested in hearing your take on this subject instead of a one line attack on me

I don't have to justify myself to anyone but I will.......I have 2 young nephews to 2 different sisters who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan , both have lost very close friends in these farcical unjust wars and I know one will suffer all his life because of what he saw out there, they joined up aged 17.....get them young before they truly understand what they are getting themselves into

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Killing inocent people for the purpose of profit is WRONG.

Is killing guilty people for the purpose of freedom GOOD?

Who do we need to kill for our freedom?
If it weren't for our own corrupt governments we WOULD be free.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Break both their legs.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
All ready been through this one with my son. I sat him down, explained & showed him why we are at war. I showed him the homeless veterans that number in the thousands living on the streets. I showed him photos from Iraq, Afghanistan of the carnage( on both sides).

He decided to be a "wimp" and keep his damn legs. And for "job training" there has to be a damn job to come back too. America has no draft, Bullsnip!!! We have a damn socio=economic draft. No jobs for our youth, college cost's thousands, they all can't work at best buy or Mickey D's, or Walmart. So the socio-economic draft say's the best route is joining the armed forces. For that great job training for a job that don't exist.

Send your son or daughter to visit one of the many homeless veterans in shelters and just sleeping on the streets. And have them ask that person, should I join the military? Did the military take care of you? Are they taking care of you now? Suicide rate is soaring out of controll in the military. Do you want that for your son or daughter? What good is job training if your a broken human being when it's over?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
My 15 year old son wants to join the marines, as a mom and a person with morals I am opposed to him fighting for a corrupt government. I however support him 100% because I know that it isn't a complete lost cause. Things can and do change, people in power eventually go to far and systems fall, governments and the elite eventually fall. I know my son, I know his heart and I know the things he stands for and would be fighting for. Those things are not corrupt politicians, they are an ideal of what should be and what can be again.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I threaten to disown them, unless of course they were joining to bring democracy to our own country, in which case I could 100% support them –even if there was a great risk of them-me getting killed!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by subfab

i would support their descision to join the armed forces. the technical skills that can be learned is second to none.

i worked with persons who spent time in the military.
some electricians from the navy were sharp cookies. they really knew what they were doing. more than just running wire and progamming a PLC. they understood electricity well.

some electronics technicians from the air force and navy could build a radio from the breadboard up.

some army and marines i worked with could weld, work sheet metal and maintain autos, large equipment and excel as machinists. they make it look easy.

as much as i don't like the wars the united states is involved in, i have to give props to the skills these men and women learn during the time they are in the service.

-subfab

Agree! Smartest thing I ever did was join the usaf; the electronics training was second to none and the life experiences were the icing on the cake. Set me up for the rest of my life. They treated us very well.
18 and in the"barracks" wasn't bad and helped me save money While striking out on my own.( not living in my high school bedroom or mom's basement).

edit on 31-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I just had this talk with my wonderful son, who has NO interest in being a "patsy" for an untruthful government, whose soul concern is their own unholy motives... which don't involve peace on earth, or restored dignity for other countries. I ask, how is it dignified to kill innocent people in other countries in the name of peace??? How is it patriotic? How is it the RIGHT THING TO DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY? How does anyone kill with good conscience, for the people who sit in higher places that only give commands, but never press a trigger or experience the atrociities of war firsthand in the aftermath? So you want my answer? What I wrote is basically what I've said to him. Believe me , I would defend MY country IN MY country....but until then, we have no good justification for going to other countries to kill or be killed. And in my opinion, NO lifelong benefits such as medical and education for soldiers is worth their life or much less, their sanity!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rastus3663
reply to post by zerozero00

You obviously have no idea of that which you are speaking.

Ugh?
I have a very good idea about this topic thanks
What's your input here, I would be interested in hearing your take on this subject instead of a one line attack on me

I don't have to justify myself to anyone but I will.......I have 2 young nephews to 2 different sisters who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan , both have lost very close friends in these farcical unjust wars and I know one will suffer all his life because of what he saw out there, they joined up aged 17.....get them young before they truly understand what they are getting themselves into

Ah yes, the young-uns! But they cannot buy cigarettes until they're 19...or gamble until they're 21! BUT THEY CAN KILL WHEN THEY"RE !8....the military says so! Do we not see the absurdity of this?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
I threaten to disown them, unless of course they were joining to bring democracy to our own country, in which case I could 100% support them –even if there was a great risk of them-me getting killed!!!

With a father (or mother) like you, they'd be better off in the military
Some people shouldn't be allowed to have children

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join