It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do if Your Child Said They Wanted To Join the Armed Forces?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
luckily mine were smart enough not to make such an idiotic decision...

Yeah, but you sure do enjoy the benefits from those "idiots" that did join, right?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Killing inocent people for the purpose of profit is WRONG.

Is killing guilty people for the purpose of freedom GOOD?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I love threads like this. And it's not original; they come up about every six months.

"What would you do if your kid enlisted?"

"Why, I'd smack the crap out of him.....I'd disown him.....I'd talk him out of it because the military is filled with war criminals, idiots, junkies, and losers."

Whatever. Lemme guess, you believe in the freedom of choice for the individual, as long as it's YOUR choice, right?

Probably 99% of you have never been in the service, because regardless of what you read here, they are choosy about who they sign up, especially now (300 pound losers living in their mom's basement need not apply). That means you're basing your decision and opinons misinformation or the old, "my mother's aunt's cousin's brother's roommate's uncle's sister's boyfriend was in the Army and because of that, I know all that goes on."

If you were in the service and you talk smack about it; fine. You signed on the line, you earned the right. It's not for everyone and some guys get a bad deal when they come it. Bad CO, bad unit, bad job, whatever. At least you gave it a try. Good on you.

I was in for 30 years (since the day after I became stupid :lol
. Some days were great, some days sucked. Learned a lot and not just from behind a gunsight, either. Got shot at and missed, s**t at and hit. No worries. Some of my friends were wounded, a coupled killed, but that's part of the whole game we play.

Your kid wants to sign up, fine. Let them talk to the recruiter. See some Troop at the mall or Wendy's, go up and intro yourself to him/her. Ask them their opinion. Trust me, some E-3 or E-4 will give you the DL on all that's good or bad.

Find an internet forum that's used by the military. They are out there and they will pull no punches. It's not gonna be 100% gung-ho guys just drooling over the chance to kill. You'll get the straight info, good and bad.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Is killing guilty people for the purpose of freedom GOOD?

Sure is. Ask anyone that lived thru World War Two.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I have been considering enlisting.
my father had give some advice, like yourself.
he said that if I was truly considering it, we were going to have a LONG talk about what WAR was like. (he was in the army.)
my older brother also wanted to join (I was TERRIFIED, as a kid, I would literally cry myself to sleep because I didn't want my brother to go off to war and die.)
my father ordered a video for my brother to watch before he made his decision.
this video basically explained how this war was based off of lies and money.
my brother then realized that by joining the military, he could not help his country, due to the fact that this war is all based off of money.
I applaud my father for this.

I would be scared, but accept their choice. I would honestly take the same steps that my father has taken with my brother and myself.
edit on 31-8-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Then why don't you GTFO of the country? Leave, we don't need you here, no one would miss you either

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I'm not going anywhere I'm a parasite in this country and I'm gonna suck the system for everything it's got. No worse then what the ultra rich banks or criminals on Wallstreet have done. They get their hand out I get mine. Greed and selfishness it's the American way. Or did you forget about that part of Capitalism?
edit on 31-8-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

Having been there and done that I would have a sit down and talk with them. Find out why they want to enlist.

Everyone experiances life differently. The military saved me from myself, but I watched people who were not able to adapt as well and they didn't fair to well.

Anytime a young man or woman tells me that they are thinking about enlisted I ask them, Why?

Almost always the answer is that they cannot find a job or cannot afford college.

At which point I tell them that the military lifestyle is what they make of it and that they should try to get a MOS that gives them a skill after their enlistment.

If they're after adventure *shudders*, then I suggest that they get in shape and join the USAF PJ's or the Navy's or Coast Guards Para-Rescue. Plenty of excitement there and they will saving lives more often than taking them.

And after the enlistment, there is a chance that they can become a EMT/Nurse on a Life-Flight in their local area. Those folks make good money.

And they'll continue to save others lives.
edit on 31-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: One last thought

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I would explain to my son that constant death causes extreme emotional pain

I would explain to my son that PTSD causes mental illness

I would explain to my son that he will be a drug guinea pig

I would explain to my son the homelessness of many returned vets

I would explain to my son that he may lose close friends

...and I would explain to my son the high number of returned vet suisides

Then I would send him to bed with no supper

And last of all I would put an axe through his xbox and "Call of Duty" video game

edit on 31-8-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Ya that's a good question. I think raising a child works like this...

If you don't have the time or money to home school, which many don't, then you have to send them to TPTB. So basically the only thing you can do is along the way keep teaching them how TPTB really work. Help them to try and understand that all institutions have a lot of risks in vaiours ways, and they are to be avoided when the child grows up.

But if you've done none of that and you kid comes saying they want to do x y or z, there's really not much you can say. You can try and convince them that it's risky etc etc, but chances are they won't listen later on in there teens. Anything you say will go in one ear and out the other. Well at least from what I've seen. Besides you don't want to kill there dreams. So in my opinion if they're at this juncture, just let them do it.

here's why...

We look at the 1% of risk that the armed forces poses. Such as the items you mentioned. How they use the kids for connon foauter etc etc. But they can choose there route in the army so it's not as if they have to choose to be a combat soldier. But even if so it's not a big deal. The probably won't see a ton of action anyway, so the risk is minimized.

I think the benefits of the army far out way the disadvantages...... here's why...

I use to think the opposite. I use to think they were a big cult etc etc. But really think about it from a practical stand point.

The pay is good, starting at something like 50k per year quickly going up to 70k. (this is in Canada).

You learn a lot of self disappline,

self respect,

responsibility,

dedication to your country etc etc.

You learn a lot of different life skills, and survival skills.

You get varous benefits and your education paid for.

You get into superior peak physical condition.

You get to travel the world for free

You get to meet a lot of great new friends that you'll know for life

Yes there are risks you need to tell him to avoid and not fall into the typical peer presure to do when he gets there, such as obeying orders that are not inherently positive in nature or that are hanous. Teach him about the risk of the drugs they make you take. etc etc and not to take them.

Also make sure he understands fully what he's getting into. Have him realize that once he's in, it's can be difficult to get out. That he could face a lot of hardships there, such as being beaten, verbally abused, ostrosized from his peer group, face penalties and lots of uncomfortable situations. Explain to him that much of the time he's there he's constantly be being challenged so he's constantly facing PAIN!!! AND LOTS OF IT. So make sure he understands to some degree what it's gonna be like.

But to conclude, again not everyone is meant to be like an intellectual like a lot of the people on here are like. And at an early age they have the strength and desire to push themselves to the limits. They're already in a sense doing that in high school. So it's not that different. He'll likely only be there for 4 years so the likelyhood of anything seriously bad happening is minimized. But again I think it's the ultimate service to one's country.

I use to think completely the opposite but really every country has to have an army to defend itself. So as long as there is that institution then someone has to man that post. And it's a risky position but the benefits and character development of teaching them to become an adult is huge. Like life is short so why not be all you can be. You're gonna die at some point anyway. So if you die on the battle feild like seriously there's no better way to go out. And I know that sounds crazy but it's true. Chances are that will never happen to him but it is a very small risk.

But again the benefits of him becoming a real man there will be huge. What's the alternative, he goes to college where he pays big money to learn practically nothing to evolve him into a man then maybe flunks out in the end or later changes his mind after wasting 4 years studying in one direction, now changes to study something else. meanwhile playing video games living in his fokes basement never really seeing or doing anything incredible in life. Which seems to be what happens with a lot of kids now a days. They spung off mommy n daddy because they never grow up. Well the army will grow them up at least right. ha ha.

Looks like they're having a great time!!!

edit on 31-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

The first vid was of a bunch of Basic Training Soldiers, funny? Yes. But they have not really experianced the Military at that point in their lives.

The second vid was a pretty good piece of advertising (PSYOP).

But it does have some valid points. I particularly like the point of "Getting over yourself." That is one lesson the Army did teach me. It's a group effort and everyone is family.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I never had to worry about my son desiring to become as screwed up as my friends that he knew from the Vietnam Vet Center and treatment programs I had been in for combat related PTSD... When a kid sees people that are virtually killing themselves with alcohol and prescription drugs from the VA and know of others that did die by taking their lives because of the impossible situations and horror that they experienced and know that corporate profits was all that was gained by the wars we've been involved in, they have no grandiose ideas about killing or being killed for the good old red white and blue.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
What I did was tell my lad about the average life span being 15 minutes on the modern battlefield and then showed him the deformities of agent orange and I also showed him the illnesses troops are comming home with because of the uranium etc...

My lad is very anti-military now since he understands that the military is being seriously abused by those in power with illegal invasions and killing people including children.

The military is no longer an honerable occupation

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

This question intrigues me, as I have always wondered why youngsters choose to join up!

Both my children have been brought up with a true understanding of how the world works, they know right from wrong, they believe wars are corporate money machines.

Weapons are made by the same shareholders who go around rebuilding the places they destroy

My kids know that without War these Weapons companies will go out of business........So......Why would they want to join in the Circus of the War Machine??

Educate your children from a young age and I can guarantee they won't want to join the "armed forces"

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Take your kids to the local VA Clinics/ Hospitals and let them see what happens to veterans who get broken and need healthcare.

That would scare any kid into never joining the military.

14 hour wait times for VA Emergency Rooms, surgeons screaming they dont have money for supplies, its ugly.

Now when Veterans are going to the VA for their initial exam to rate their disability they ask them the question "who handles your finances". The vets that are saying "My wife handles all the money", are getting the VA to declare they are mentally incompetent and the VA's appointing their own cronies to take over your money.

Have your kids read about those horror stories:

www.vawatchdog.org...

It's a national shame what's happening to the nations vets. Make sure your kids see it and know ALL about it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

As bad as the VA is now, it is far better than it was prior to 1993... In 1980 I was on an orthopedic ward that was so small and cramped that there was hardly any space between beds... One appointment usually ends up taking a full day because I have to drive at least 100 miles each way, wait in line for travel pay and to pick up new prescriptions.... It was much worse than now but it is far from perfect... One trip accompanied by a kid thinking about joining up would open his eyes to the reality of war..

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Support them. It is their decision and it is a noble one.

Second;

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I myself almost joined, but then met my wife and settled down. I would fully support their decision in it, as even with all the conspiracies and how you feel about the county, to me, it's still very honorable and brave to put your life before those in your country, who in the end might not even care you did it in the first place. It's a very selfless act to serve and most people don't get the credit they deserve.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

What Would You Do if Your Child Said They Wanted To Join the Armed Forces

I'd say no problem. Considering the personality of my daughter, I'd encourage her to go into the Air Force. She's rather mild mannered and quiet and that would be best for her. She did express interest in going into the military, but she has medical issues that make that not able to happen.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
My son and myself are on the same page regarding this issue.
He'll only fight for our country on our soil and only if our country is under direct attack.
He won't be fighting no political wars on behalf of far off countries for causes that have hidden agendas.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join