What Would You Do if Your Child Said They Wanted To Join the Armed Forces?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnukeem

So if you see 5 tough guys jump off of a bridge, you'd encourage your child to do it if they wanted to? All to make sure the title "Wimp" isn't tied to their being? Any person with some intelligence would take WIMP over DEAD or INJURED any day.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I would support my child. Our children have their own life and own choices...
It's utterly against my values in every way but acceptIng my child is more important.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

Try to get him to go to collage and if he still wants to go in the military try to get him in the air force with a good mos that he can use when he get out.
Rebuilding turbines would be a good mos.
I got out of the marines in 73, even though I learned to repair generators I couldn't even get a job as a line man for UE.
And the air force and the navy had a lot better food than the marines.
You could always tell him he would get shot at a lot less in the air force.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Firstly I'd want to smack the the dummy. I probably wouldn't though.

I'd sit them down and explain they are signing their life on the line for money and foolish pride. I'd tell them about the cocktail of poison they'd have injected into them. I'd ask them , How they could explain killing someone to God when they had the choice not to be there. I'd ask them how they can justify world conquest wars etc. for profiteering and rape and pillage of resources and cultures. I'd ask how could they fight for that?

And after we talked thoroughly about all that if they still wanted to join I'd disown them, at least till they came to their senses.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
First off, not sure why this thread has been posted under Global Meltdown. Would I support anyone that stood to defend the right for me to sit on my arse and post this post...absolutely. Do I agree with politicians...never. Do I support our troops...always.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I was going to say hobble them, one can recover from a beating. HA! Though I will be forced to let them make thier own decisions. I will definitely advise against it and try to provide them with information that could possibly change thier mind. Dont want them to experience the torment i have seen others endure that have made that sacrifice. Thanks for Yours by the way.
edit on 30-8-2012 by psyko4570 because: respect

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I have often felt like many children and young people have certain aspirations because they have been exposed to very limited view of what it's like. And the military...with its propaganda machine working full time has convinced generation after generation that they too can be a great and noble war hero if they just sign their lives over to the government. One of the great things about adulthood and the knowledge that can come from doing research and seeking your own truths rather than having them fed to you is you get to see things for how they are rather than how they seem to be. I would be remiss in my duties as a parent if I did not try and present the facts to my child.

Why let the programming and indoctrination take hold when you can counteract it? The state can tell my kid what he can do with his life but I can't? That dog won't hunt. No sir. One can train and live in the way of the warrior without being a government sanctioned assassin. There are personal glories to be found that have nothing to do with a piece of metal pinned to one's chest. I am in no way discounting the efforts of soldiers as they all have their reasons for joining up but c'mon. Every day in my city we see homeless men and women and many of them were once bright eyed soldiers. Once they were done doing the devil's dirty work they were forgotten about. Left to live a life akin to those in these countries we claim to be saving from themselves. What a fate
edit on 30-8-2012 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
First I would cry, lots.

Then I would explain to her the reason for my tears and attempt to guide her into a non-violent career doing something she already loves.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
As a veteran myself, I would be in 100% support, but I'd support my child in whatever he wants to do

As a vet, I'd forbid my kids par taking in the amoral act of occupation following a war based on lies..

I'd .. explain the USSA has become the 4th Reich and these days I have more respect for people who fight occupations.. than I do people who choose to do what Nazi troops did: "follow (amoral) orders"

Want to serve?.. join the police / fire dept.. around here it takes100 applicants to hire & produce 3 duly sworn.. a true challenge to make the grade. The military will take just almost anyone dumb enough.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

L
L
never gonna happen

no kids of mine will ever be that desperate

serving as multi-purpose tools up to and including guinea-pigs for money

no, sir! :shk:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
They have, I talked them right out of it.
Now my middle son has come of age & is also intent on signing up & I'm having a hard time convincing him not to.
I don't have a problem with any branch of the military, these are honorable & fulfilling professions but I do have a problem with the lunatic government currently directing them.
When they clean up their act, then I will fully support my childs military career choice.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well, first I'd laugh in his or her face and ask, "Really? You want to be a Storm Trooper?"

Then I'd make a multi-media presentation explaining how horrible of an idea that was. But because I'm me, my kid would know all this in advance and not ever consider doing something so ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
My son wanted to join Air Cadets with his good Christian friend. It was ongoing, as I said NO 1000 Times, for months and months and months, with them even sneaking off to air cadets to talk to the instructor, and I couldn't believe he even had the right to speak to my son, without my permission.

In any case, he is over it, and the answer is NO NO NO NO NO, PERIOD.

I would hunt down any adult son who joined and their commanding officer and recruiter and literally CHEW UP THE LINE OF COMMAND AND NEVER STOP AND GET HIM OUT OR STAND IN THE LINE OF FIRE UNTIL HE COMES HOME EVEN IF HE HAS TO ESCAPE BECAUSE I DON'T HONOR THIER ILLEGAL CONTRACTS AND WILL NEVER ALLOW THEM ON MY PROPERTY AND THEY WILL HAVE TO KILL ME TO WIN SQUAT.

Darth Vader can back off, sit down, and shut his murderous mouth up because I won't stand anyones crapola around me at all.
edit on 30-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

If it is something they want to do, chances are you will have a difficult time changing their mind. As a person who has been in the armed forces since 2005(only one year left!) I can tell you the best you can do is point them in the direction of the Air Force. I am currently in the Army, and have worked with Air Force on multiple occasions. They actually get extra pay for dealing with Army cafeterias and living conditions when they train on Army bases. The Air Force takes care of their people. A good example of this is in Afghanistan...I slept in a tent for a year, and the Air Force had hard buildings as barracks. They do a much safer job and a better life...I'd point anyone who is going to join no matter what, in the direction of the Air Force.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I would tell them to "Join the Navy!!" Big Guns! Co ed baby!

www.youtube.com...

But in all seriousness, I would be involved with my children's enlistment so they don't get a "crap" MOS and actually serve in a capacity that also helps them after service.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
So for all those parents that wouldn't support their child's choice for enlisting:
You'd not support them for THEIR choice, but support them for YOUR CHOICE?
In other words, they'd have to do what YOU want them to do instead of making their own decision

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
i would show them all the data on suicides in the forces then the rapes ?that happen then i would take them to see my buddies who have served in the forces some are sticking needles into themselves because of what went on in iraq & afganistan .
but at the end of the day it is their life let them get on with it

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I work with a guy on a military pension, getting that check every month must be nice

Yeah, it sure is nice being able to rake in that phat cash. Not to mention what the retirees have to go thru to get that pension.

Little things, like not being with your family for a year or so at a time. Long hours, working days on end. Injuries (peacetime and combat). The constant worries.

Yep, it must be nice.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Hmmmm...didn't take too long until the US Military was compared to Nazis.

Pretty weak, slick.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
My younger cousin always looked up to me. I'm 10 years his senior. He came to me one day and said he was meeting with a recruiter at school. After I had a talk with him he backed away from the idea. They tried throwing all kinds of money at him to get him to sign.

I have no respect for the government military or this country. Up yours America!

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join