It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Afternoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I’m probably a little older than most here, having the distinction of being an early baby-boomer. I was raised in a lower middle class community, Eagle Boy scout, Captain of the high school rifle team, Creative Writing Club, Future Teachers of America, a dream of moving into the ‘real’ middle class where a new car wasn’t someone else’s trade in.
All through school, I asked the questions most teachers didn’t want asked, so I read and learned I could borrow books from other library systems to find my own answers. I explored placed with names like The Chrystal Unicorn that had books by Alice A Bailey, where Zen wasn’t a foreign word. I found places that had something called ‘open mike’ where men with beards and women with long hair and no makeup read poems that fit into my thought streams.
I avoided the draft by enlisting. I volunteered for “Jump School” and learned I like the quiet of a piece of silk over my head. I was sent straight to Viet Nam, 173rd Abn Bdg, where every moral I’d been taught was thrown away, replaced with a set of values I will never go into here. Returning home, I wanted to grab life by its mane, not to tame it but to discover its gut nature.
My children (now late 20 somethings) and their friends wonder by for the old music I’ve recently found on CD, ‘30s blues, ‘50s jazz, ’65-75 rock while they show me the new bands they’ve found, using a computer based sound system that loses no detail. They also love the conversations that “happen” here, post D&D sessions that go to dawn, or afternoons discussing new information found that would fit well in many threads here.
My life now is rather boring, morning coffee on the deck listening to the resident eagles chatter around the lake, exploring the internet with multiple search engines and rereading Kipling, Pynchon, Dickens, Shakespeare, Kerouac. Two weeks ago my search found this place.
I hope I’ll have something to contribute…

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Give me a break.
Your analogies and timelines are so wrong.
Good Luck new member!

You may fool some.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Hello and welcome!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonskrye

Well, you fooled me. And I dont mind. Welcome fellow criminal. Question though. When a ville was naped and innocents died, how did you compare that to a rougue soldier butchering innocents up close and personal? Was there a difference to you? Pervertedly there is to me. An airstrike seems 'humane' if there is such a thing. Thats how i know I am screwed in life and do not deserve the wonderful things i experience daily. How can I condem one and not the other? I do and always will condem the rougue butcher. But How can I do that? And be justified? Im no judge. Or is that just another one of the morals sacrificed by men and women of war?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
welcome in to the dz

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Hey, welcome to the forums!

Out of curiosity, what 60's/70's rock bands would you recommend beyond, say, the stuff still commonly played on the radio? I've been trying to expand my music collection a little.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS I hope you enjoy posting on the boards. See you out there.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Iamschist because: what I get for typing in the dark

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

I am confused. how do you figure I am fooling you?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by msgtrails

Perhaps an example of how I look for and at music I listen to. I recently picked up three "Allman Brothers Band" pieces: "Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival July 3&5 1970", "A&R Studios New York 26 August 1971", and "S.U.N.Y. At Stoneybrook 9/19/71". While their 'Live at Fillmore East' done in March of 1971 is something I've always liked, I've been curious about other live shows they did. I also search to replace my vinyl I lost some years back with CDs which has lead me back to vinyl for some pieces that haven't been put on CD at this time. "Buckingham & Nicks", a group called 'Ten Wheel Drive', and Cheryl Dilcher's "Butterfly" album are a few. I also enjoy early pieces such as Bob Dylan's "Live at the Gaslite 1962" on CD, while "Buckingham & Nicks" is pre Fleetwood Mac.
No, I haven't replaced my turntable. I need to find a Gerrard 401 I can afford

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by psyko4570

Well, you fooled me. And I dont mind. Welcome fellow criminal. Question though. When a ville was naped and innocents died, how did you compare that to a rougue soldier butchering innocents up close and personal? Was there a difference to you? Pervertedly there is to me. An airstrike seems 'humane' if there is such a thing. Thats how i know I am screwed in life and do not deserve the wonderful things i experience daily. How can I condem one and not the other? I do and always will condem the rougue butcher. But How can I do that? And be justified? Im no judge. Or is that just another one of the morals sacrificed by men and women of war?

You have touched something I've spent years looking at and spent two long term inpatient PTSDT (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment) sessions in a VA facility working through. At the moment of the events, I was able to justify my behavior, any behavior, and actions with no difficulty. It was while laying in a hospital out of Viet Nam for four months, that I began to question my personal actions, and felt that I had let loose a monster that, in some ways, enjoyed what was done and that monster scared me. You ask me to compare my experience to that of the pilot who "dropped ordnance" and I cannot because any comparison would be filtered through my life experiences.
From my experience, to those in the 'ville' the source of the carnage does not change their personal response. To me, nothing about war is "humane".
I will suggest you seek counseling through a VA facility (I know that takes a long time to work through their bureaucracy) or private counseling

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonskrye

Originally posted by psyko4570

You have touched something I've spent years looking at and spent two long term inpatient PTSDT (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment) sessions in a VA facility working through. At the moment of the events, I was able to justify my behavior, any behavior, and actions with no difficulty. It was while laying in a hospital out of Viet Nam for four months, that I began to question my personal actions, and felt that I had let loose a monster that, in some ways, enjoyed what was done and that monster scared me. You ask me to compare my experience to that of the pilot who "dropped ordnance" and I cannot because any comparison would be filtered through my life experiences.
From my experience, to those in the 'ville' the source of the carnage does not change their personal response. To me, nothing about war is "humane".
I will suggest you seek counseling through a VA facility (I know that takes a long time to work through their bureaucracy) or private counseling

I hope I didnt upset you. My father served in Southeast Asia as well. 1st calv and MICI. I am more proud of him than you can imagine. Though he is a bit 'strange' at times. He doesnt talk much about it and I dont ask. Im just a landscaper and have no knowledge of combat, so I hope my question did not offend You. I have taken your advice though and contacted both the VA and a private counselor and plan to use both as best I can. And after considering your response, I find it valid and have changed my opinion of airstrikes, and of the warrior that did a job no one else would touch. Thank you for your advice and Your service.
edit on 1-9-2012 by psyko4570 because: more info

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
hi and welcome your with us now there is no going back.

lol im just being silly and INTENSE!
but i look foward to your contributions
do you have a favorite sub-forum? mine is skunk works, secret societies, NLP , threads about subliminals
happy hunting ol'wise one hehe

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Relax now Grunt. You have fufilled Your Oath and may now rest. We have the situation under Control. You dont have to watch if You dont want to. I think Youve seen enough. Its Our turn. We have added a bit to the foundation You so dilligently provided for us. Watch if you like. If youve eaten today I would look away.

The Party is over. Time to clean up the village. We Love being Janitors and never tire.

P.S

I LOVE YOU!
edit on 2-9-2012 by psyko4570 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Thank you and I have no intention of going back.
Still exploring the listings here so I can’t say I have a favorite. My recent research has me looking at the current state of weather control and ways to eliminate GMOs, both from my diet and from the world. Older work includes: 21=12=2012 (while there are some interesting astronomical alignments, I don’t see it as an “end of the world”), healing with crystals (some interesting work was done at BYU), and tying flys to fish the lake that’s my front yard.
The SRV under your name; if that’s about Stevie, have you listened to the stuff he did with Albert King?

top topics

join