It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100-year Starship program: The U.S government's method of slowly introducing UFO technology to the

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
In my opinion, I don't think our bodies can handle outer-space. Hell, we haven't even set foot on Mars haven't we? (correct me if I'm wrong) Can our technology get us there and back or are we too afraid? So, this whole Starship space thingy was a dream for Gene Roddenberry for our minds to explorer the possibilities of space but when it comes down to real deal, it isn't going to happen!!

Again, can we take a nice scroll on Mars first before we get suck and stuck in the middle of ? pitch-black nowhere?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I agree with Guardian2012, we can achieve this without aid from UFO tech, tho it would help nudge us in the direction, I would like to think that humanity is smart as we all think we are.......

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
We went from horse and buggy to landing on the moon in less than 70 years, if we could pull our heads out of the stupidity that is war, greed, and self involvment I think we could do it in 100 years without UFO's.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
In my opinion, I don't think our bodies can handle outer-space. Hell, we haven't even set foot on Mars haven't we? (correct me if I'm wrong) Can our technology get us there and back or are we too afraid? So, this whole Starship space thingy was a dream for Gene Roddenberry for our minds to explorer the possibilities of space but when it comes down to real deal, it isn't going to happen!!

Again, can we take a nice scroll on Mars first before we get suck and stuck in the middle of ? pitch-black nowhere?

In a sense, we ARE in outer space. Our space ship just happens to be a big rock with a rather comfortable atmosphere warmed by a relatively favorable star, which we seem well adapted to, all sailing through space.

Interstellar travel will surely involve methodologies for replicating a little bit of spaceship Earth scaled down.
The Biosphere Project was an initial concept in just that direction; to see how possible it would be to replicate and fully enclosed self sustaining piece of Earth for long-term habitation per what would likely be required for a Moon base, a Mars base, and/or even long term interstellar travel.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
I agree with Guardian2012, we can achieve this without aid from UFO tech, tho it would help nudge us in the direction, I would like to think that humanity is smart as we all think we are.......

I wouldn't count on it for at least another few millennia. Either there is a great breakthrough in the physical sciences where all of the most fundamental laws of physics are found to be incorrect (not likely), or we have somehow found exotic matter and thus all of the technology from science-fiction would now be theoretically possible (warp drives, worm holes, etc). Then again, another fact is that not all concepts that are theoretically possible can be engineered in the real world to be useful.

Humanity's only shot at reaching the stars, based on current science, will rely heavily on space-time manipulating technologies. There's just too many problems in outer space to circumvent by travelling in a classical spaceship at a reasonable fraction of the speed of light. Secondly, it just isn't practical as it will take more than 8 years (Earth time) to reach the closest star system travelling at 50% of the speed of light, and even more when you factor in acceleration/deceleration.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
hey druscilla, I think he was maybe referring to long term zero-gravity environment, which is a space bodybuilders worst nightmare....but I see where you are coming from, perhaps a ship with a rotating section??? I'm thinking babylon5 Omega class destroyer comes to mind an be incorporated into reality....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

True, true...but I mean given our current state of economy an war on the horizon once again, have we really had a chance to fully dedicate our energies into researching those factors??? I mean with the private space sector starting up, its at least a start....an most users on here would agree that humanity has been moving at a pretty good pace, with our economics holding us down, who is really trying AN willing to take the risk? when you said "...exotic material.." I started thinking asteroid/moon mining? perhaps something in there we can synthesize an use? whatever the case may be, your prolly right about it taking a millenia, but in all honesty I can't help but think that we are fully capable of pulling something like this off....maybe solve our energy problems first an get some Ginormous Ion engines running, lol yea right I'm dreaming now....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Those Star Trek nerds are going to keep us broke for a hundred years? God help us. What did Shatner and Nimoy create?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Yeah, we won't be finding exotic matter on asteroids or any other celestial body. That is mainly due to its inherent anti-gravitational properties. Assuming it exists, it would exist in deep space and at a far distance from any celestial bodies. So, unless we can somehow artificially create exotic matter, that's not going to work.

What many people don't realize is that the jump from current space travel technology to achieving interstellar travel is millions of times more than the jump from primitive travel such as horse and cart to chemical rockets. Firstly, the science was there and permitted it as Isaac Newton established classical mechanics in the 17th century, and yet it wasn't until more than 200 years after his death that man walked on the moon.

As for interstellar travel, the energy requirements of simply accelerating 1 KG of mass to 99% of the speed of light would require the energy output of an entire developed nation. Now imagine how much energy an entire spaceship would require? And even if we could somehow find it, travelling at 99% of the speed of light will still take a long while to reach the closest stars, and by the time you do get there, there will likely be newer and advanced technology developed on Earth and hence making your spaceship obsolete.

And that's just one problem. There is a whole list of other problems that need to be dealt with when travelling at relativistic speeds, such as micrometeorites, space dust, and even hydrogen atoms.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Regarding the concept of being "welcome", until such time as we see any indication that there's anyone else 'out there' to protest, then, we essentially have the green light to go by default.
reply to post by Druscilla

Such a time has been and gone.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Closest star is a sun actually; nevertheless still interesting concept, but first lets fix problems that we have on that planet and then think interstellary.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

yes...we absolutely should be able to leave this planet and travel to others freely...just like people travelled to new countries in history on earth we are now getting closer to travelling to new planets....and why not?

I dont mean hostile takeovers of other civilizations on other planets...but why shouldnt we travel?

stay at home if you want but Id go if i could

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
We will never travel to any other stars. It's not meant to happen and it shouldn't happen. So we take this corrupted dark stain called humanity into the void and corrupt everything else we come across? No, not ever. This world is our prison and we were quarantined for a reason.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

Wrong mate. You are looking from a view of current technology and physics understanding. It's like a conference of high priests in ancient Egypt, discussing the possibility of building a manned flying machine within 100 years.
Maybe a breakthrough in physics can give us possibility to open wormholes or use so called hyperspace with amount of energies feasible to mankind. Recently physicists discovered Higgs boson, and i'm almost sure that first "laboratory prototypes of mass manipulators" will be build withing 60-70 years, just like first transistor based computers[dont count the electron lamp ones] were build 60 years after discovering quantum mechanics effects.
Before the transistors and integrated circuits, when the physicists had no idea how to utilize quantum effects, computers were build with vacuum/electron lamps. Nobody thought it was possible to build a desktop size computer with the computing power of 10 millions of ENIACs. We are at the same state, we have theories that can't utilize.

edit on 31-8-2012 by piotrburz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by piotrburz
reply to post by Diablos

Wrong mate. You are looking from a view of current technology and physics understanding. It's like a conference of high priests in ancient Egypt, discussing the possibility of building a manned flying machine within 100 years.
Maybe a breakthrough in physics can give us possibility to open wormholes or use so called hyperspace with amount of energies feasible to mankind. Recently physicists discovered Higgs boson, and i'm almost sure that first "laboratory prototypes of mass manipulators" will be build withing 60-70 years, just like first transistor based computers[dont count the electron lamp ones] were build 60 years after discovering quantum mechanics effects.

Uh, no. There is an incorrect assumption: that our understanding of physics will increase at the same rate as recently.

In reality, our understanding of actual physics was pretty much null until Galileo, and really Newton. Since then, we have learned the correct physics which explains nearly all of the fundamental behaviors of virtually everything which is accessible to human technology and the surface of the planet. There are no significant new elements to discover, no parts of the world to find. Sure we may understand more about Big Bang cosmology or the such, but in terms of dealing with the properties of matter, light, heat and gravity relevant for our daily lives, we have gone from "nothing" to "almost everything".

Theories from earth bound experiments now explain in major quantitative detail all sorts of things about even distant stars and galaxies, distribution of stellar intensity & color, nebulae, pulsars of all things, gravtitational lensing etc etc. It is a huge and profound difference from most of the experience of human existence.

Transistors were discovered less than 50 years after quantum mechanics (1926 to 1948 say), and besides, in that time they didn't really need quantum mechanics to explain anyway.
edit on 31-8-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
a hundred years, please they could do it in 20 years if all the governments of the world collaborated. Each country sharing there secret tech

That wouldn't do it alone, they would have to put aside their petty differences to get it done....then again, if we did that anything is possible.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Diablos

Maybe a breakthrough in physics can give us possibility to open wormholes or use so called hyperspace with amount of energies feasible to mankind.

And what are the chances of that, exactly? Relativity and quantum mechanics are the two fundamental pillars of modern physics, and the principles within those fields have been repeatedly tested and continue to be tested today. It is very, very unlikely they can be wrong and hence, the only way wormholes or other space-time manipulating technologies will become possible is through exotic matter. Your analogy fails simply because ancient Egyptians don't know as much about the nature of the universe as we do today.

reply to post by Diablos

Recently physicists discovered Higgs boson, and i'm almost sure that first "laboratory prototypes of mass manipulators" will be build withing 60-70 years, just like first transistor based computers[dont count the electron lamp ones] were build 60 years after discovering quantum mechanics effects.

Mass manipulators? Have you been reading too much science-fiction? Or probably the articles of science-fiction enthusiasts who point to the possibility of manipulating the higgs-field of matter, something that isn't even proven to be possible theoretically? And even if you could create massless spaceship, you still can't go faster than the speed of light without violating causality (you would arrive before you even left).

A massless volume is vacuum. A massless vehicle is a fallacy

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

reply to post by Diablos

Uh, no. There is an incorrect assumption: that our understanding of physics will increase at the same rate as recently.

In reality, our understanding of actual physics was pretty much null until Galileo, and really Newton. Since then, we have learned the correct physics which explains nearly all of the fundamental behaviors of virtually everything which is accessible to human technology and the surface of the planet. There are no significant new elements to discover, no parts of the world to find. Sure we may understand more about Big Bang cosmology or the such, but in terms of dealing with the properties of matter, light, heat and gravity relevant for our daily lives, we have gone from "nothing" to "almost everything".

Theories from earth bound experiments now explain in major quantitative detail all sorts of things about even distant stars and galaxies, distribution of stellar intensity & color, nebulae, pulsars of all things, gravtitational lensing etc etc. It is a huge and profound difference from most of the experience of human existence.

Transistors were discovered less than 50 years after quantum mechanics (1926 to 1948 say), and besides, in that time they didn't really need quantum mechanics to explain anyway.

Clearly you don't have knowledge on quantum mechanics and semiconductors. Without quantum tunneling, you wouldn't built any modern day transistor using semiconductors.

And saying we discovered almost everything in field of physics is so arrogant. The same attitude was present after Newtonian physics was mastered and topic was vastly exhausted. Good lord there were people like Einstein or Planck that made other arrogant physicists defending "we discovered everything attitude" wrong.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

Um.......the explorers were looking for a better place to live, one with food and good water, salt, and wood to heat their homes that was easy to harvest. Do you see that in the pictures of mars or anywhere within reach of our technology even a hundred years in the future? Lets take better care of this place and set our dreams on things like exploring wilderness areas around our homes.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

nothing they were just the early spokes people for Roddenberry's message only one person has been in every incarnation of star trek ever and that was his wife and she shaped startrek more even after his death

more on topic i really don't get why every one is soo against us exploring outer space if we dont do this as a species we leave our selves vulnerable to natural disaster or the extinction of our entire race.not to mention alot of our problems with over crowding famine etc will eventual be solved by other colonies and asteroid mining like it or not if we are to prosper as a species we will need to get off this pretty blue marble eventually

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join