It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed bystander stops stabbing outside school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

You do understand that there are literally millions of CCW permit holders, right? If they were using them as a license to kill tens of thousands of people would be getting killed by CCW permit holders. Your statement reeks of ignorance and troll.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am not someone to call a person a troll but come on. Is acmpnsfal serious?

I am a Police Officer and wish to God there were more armed citizens like this person. It would make my job a lot easier. People should be awarded for actions like this. Money, recognition, hell a gift card to Red Lobster. He deserves something. Bad guys need to know that "there are rough men/women who stand ready to visit violence on those who would do innocent people harm." (modified)

I mean lets face I work in a town with a population of about 100,000 people. I am responsible for an area that encompasses many miles and am responsible for 10,000+ people. There is no way I can be everywhere at once. Not to mention if I am on the opposite side of my area it may take me 5+ minutes to get to you. Then you have to factor in traffic.

Tasers are great, however they are not the end all be all. If I was to deploy my Taser on an armed attacker with no lethal cover I would be making a grave mistake. What if the probes miss? What if they are wearing thick clothing? What if my batteries short out the system? What then? I just gave the attacker several extra seconds to inflict more damage to his victim while I transition to my firearm. Those extra attacks may be the death blow to the victim.

There is no time to play Psychologist. You have to stop the imminent threat by any means necessary. In this situation a firearm is the most effective, safe way to end the threat regardless of what you believe.

edit on 31-8-2012 by TorqueyThePig because: changed text

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Reply to post by James1982

If someone is attacking you they are hurting you, unless it was clear their intent was to kill you. Obviously if someone shoots another person in the head their intent was to kill. But anywho taser batteries last a long time, I dont know where you got your information from lol. Guns are not the most efficient way to stop a criminal unless they also have a gun. And no most states do not kill murderers, some people do get the dealth penalty but most of them are never executed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by blamethegreys

We arent talking about the whole of human history we are talking about today. In modern society, what used to be practiced is irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Taser batteries are just like any other man made device. They can fail at anytime. Then what? Read my post above.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by TorqueyThePig

If you try to use the taser and it fails then you tried to diffuse the situation without first using a gun. You move on to your next option, simple as that. But the likelihood of a taser malfunctioning is probably up there with the likelihood of a gun malfunctioning. Guns do not work 100 percent of the time either.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Lets pretend YOU are the victim for a second. So when the Taser Malfunctions and I take a second or two to draw my firearm, it allows the bad guy more time to continue stabbing YOU, perhaps killing YOU in the process. That is okay with YOU?

I carry an M26 Taser made by Taser International. Arguably one of the best Taser's on the market. It has malfunctioned on me during training and duty use. The same thing has happened to my co workers.

I also carry a Glock 37 as my firearm which I have shot thousands of rounds through it without any malfunctions. Any person that has knowledge in the field will tell you that a good quality firearm is more reliable than an Electronic Control Device any day of the week.

Where do you get your information from?
edit on 31-8-2012 by TorqueyThePig because: grammar

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
To all of those who are arguing their stance against guns,

Thank you thank you thank you.!!!!!

I know you don't see it but the rest of us do, and that's all I want.
The irrationality of your argument coupled with the complete fear and lack of understanding
of firearms as well as what is needed to neutralize a deadly threat AS WELL AS what constitutes a deadly threat knows no bounds.

I'm sure we'll agree on other issues in other threads so don't walk away pissed off at me.
But, in THIS thread, on THIS topic, you are exposing yourselves as being fearful complacent cowards who refuse to take responsibility for their own safety because they believe someone else would be be better suited for the job.

Or, you are severely over estimating your ability to defend your life or the lives of those around you from a knife weilding attacker with anything less than a gun.

Am "I" going to change your mind?
Is anyone here going to change your mind?

NOPE!!

And I know this.
My job isn't to change your mind as I have stated before.
My job is to expose your irrational fear based thinking and make others aware of just how insane
and out of touch people who take this stance can be.

Insane people don't KNOW they're insane.
THAT'S WHAT MAKES THEM INSANE!!!!

Are you insane??
Probably not BUT,
Your thinking IS.
In the most literal definition of the word.
It is NOT sane.
It is not rational.

You won't see this and you aren't supposed to.
Just keep on fighting the good fight.

And as always, no hard feelings........on my part anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

You are absolutely correct. To further validate your point as stated before I am a Police Officer. When I am off duty I NEVER depend or count on a Police Officer to come to my rescue. Not because I doubt their abilities or genuine concern for the safety of the public. Just simply because "when seconds count, Police are minutes away."

I experience this on a daily basis. Like I said I am responsible for around 10,000+ people that span an area of many miles. It is illogical to think that I can be everywhere at any given time.

I can't tell you how many calls I have been to where I encouraged the person to exercise their second amendment rights.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

I may have to re-think my blanket hatred of ALL police officers.
Thank you for your insight in this thread.
It is needed more than you know.
Please, in the future, jump right in and let your voice be heard loud and clear on this issue when you see it pop up.

As a police Officer, you may be the ONLY voice of reason which gets thru to the terminally irrational gun control mindset.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Please do rethink. I can guarantee you there are a lot out there who share my beliefs. I work with many of them. However I am not blind and know that there are many bad Police Officers out there. They are a disgrace and need to be brought to justice.

Take this from an Officer that lives it on a daily basis. The constant bashing and blanket hatred we receive on a daily basis can change the good Officers prospective on the public. I struggle with it myself everyday. I know that on a daily basis I am judged negatively. It hurts. I don't even like telling people that I am a Police Officer even though I am proud of what I do. That just plain sucks. Somehow though through the constant verbal and sometimes physical abuse I have still been able to keep a positive view about society and people. Trust me it is not easy at times.

Some citizens are just as guilty as some bad Officers at driving the wedge between each other. And always remember "judge not lest ye be judged." It not only should apply to all Police Officers but all citizens as well.

I promise you that if the time comes I will defend the Oath to the grave. Just please don't lose faith that there are many more out there just like me.
edit on 31-8-2012 by TorqueyThePig because: added

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Good words, don't let those youtube compilations of police brutality that end up here define your view on them as a whole. Those instances are really rare yet end up lumped together for easy viewing and stereotyping.

I also welcome additional comments from LEOs that could weigh in on current events like these and others... We have a few around here now, but I'm not sure they're always unbiased and objective.

You provided a story where a firearm was used to great effect, and a life possibly saved, yet some still find fault and nitpick at it... Learn from that.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

You have got to be a troll. Your arguments are so bad. If not

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Obviously, you know nothing of tazers. Their failure to incapacitate is 60%. Thats a lot of chance to take when someone is stabbing your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter/mother/father/neighbor/stranger to death right in front of you. A guns failure to feed/fire/cycle is about 8% on the crappiest hunk of crap you can buy in the local gun store. And if you carry with a round in the chamber, its about 2%. Learn your facts instead of speaking of things you know nothing about.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

If I was being stabbed I obviously would not be standing there letting it happen. So the stabber would not be stabbing me repeatedly without fail. Trying to use your taser should be your first course of action. I mean if the person was stabbing to kill they would have went for my throat or a major artery in the beginning before I had time to really react to the situation. So neither a gun nor a taser would help lol.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Reply to post by JayFlores

Lies. The last time I read about tasers being used within the police force the failure rate was around 30 percent. This was before they changed the prongs to penetrate heavy clothing. The entire reason police started to issuing tasers was because officers were using their guns too much. They were using them in situations where there was no need to at all.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

I mean if the person was stabbing to kill they would have went for my throat or a major artery in the beginning before I had time to really react to the situation. So neither a gun nor a taser would help lol.

ASOUNDING logiic you are using there my friend!!!
and according to this logic, if we follow it all of the way thru, it means that just because a person is plunging a 5" blade into your chest doesn't mean he is trying to kill you. After all, if he were, he would have gone for a major artery or your throat!!!!

WOW!!!!

I can't say enough how much I appreciate you taking the time to honestly share your point of view with us for everyone to witness.

And since I have your ear, May I ask you another question?

Would you be angry with a person who pulled out a gun,shot, and killed your attacker as a first resort???
By "your attacker" I mean a man who was attacking you with a knife.

Thank you for all of the questions you have answered so far btw. You have shown more courage than most people with your mentality.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

30% is still way more than 2-8%. Sorry, that's just fact. And we're not talking non-deadly force scenarios here. We're talking about a guy stabbing a woman to death in public, in broad day light. And you may want to ask a police officer about how much he trusts his tazer to bring the situation to an end.....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Enough with the I am right and everybody else is wrong mentality. Yes, a population needs arms to defend itself against invasion and an usurption of power and yes, America has a problem with its gun-toy culture. There isnt just the American-gun-way or no guns.

Look at Switzerland for example. Everyone has to do military service and after that, you get to keep and store the MILITARY GRADE ASSAULT RIFLE you were trained with. Thats a weapon you can use in an organised militia, with people who had the same training as you.

none of that in the us, just tricked out guns. If Americans would have to use their weapons to get rid of an corrupt goverment or fend off an invasion, it would probably look a lot like Lybia minus the airstrikes that saved the day. I would say at least there are a lot of Americans to go through, but deploying isnt easy in a country so vast.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by Screwed

Thats how you are *supposed* to judge situations. Not by emotion but by facts. If someone is getting stabbed and the perp doesnt go for a major damage point you can assume he/she either isnt intending to kill or doesnt know what they are doing. Either way its not likely the victim will be killed. So you dont have to use lethal force. But if I was being attacked and someone shot the person I probably would not care in the moment because I would be emotional.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join