It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elevator to the Moon to become reality in 8 years!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have always wondered how they would do this, it seems like a terrifying task. I hate heights lol and for this your going to freeking space.. I just don't know if I would go on it..

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The math for a space elevator has already been worked out, just waiting on nanotube tech to become cheap enough to make it feasable.

Once the material is in orbit getting to the moon is easy.

For space launches most of the fuel is used up just getting into orbit. If we can cheaply send fuel and other supplies into orbit space exploration will take off like a rocket. No pun intended.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

It will really suck because when you get there the gravity will be very low so when it stops instead of that little feeling you get in our elevators you will bounce off the ceiling.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I don't consider myself very smart especially regarding anything to do with physics and engineering.
Real adult humans actually bought into this?
There's not a facepalm big enough, lol.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Doesn`t sound possible.
What are they going to anchor the orbiting station to so that it isn`t dragged back down to earth by the weight of the cable?

The orbiting station will be weightless in space but it will be attached to a cable that is not weightless inside the earth`s atmosphere,won`t the cable and the station both be dragged back to earth by the weight of the cable?

I`m picturing it this way: like a helium filled balloon with a string tied to it, the balloon can overcome the weight of the string and rise into the air, but if you attached a metal cable to the balloon instead of a sting, the balloon would not have the lifting capacity to lift the cable. the balloon and the cable would come crashing back to earth from the weight of the cable.
will the weightless station have the lifting capacity to hold the cable up or will the weight of the cable overcome the weightlessness of the station and pull it back to earth?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Good question. You are correct that if there was just the orbiting station and the cable coming down, the weight of the cable would pull it to Earth. That's why the tower must have a counterweight that goes up/outwards from the station. See this link.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join