It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low budget, what used parts to buy for a reasonable (gaming) computer...no fancy stuff.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
After 6 years my computer crashed...and is beyond repair. Like many of us money isn't flowing as it used to and do I need to be creative. The plan is to assemble my own computer with secondhand parts.

I am sure there are good used motherboards and graphic cards for sale which can perform well with games like Creed (part one). Just saying to give you an idea what I am looking for.

I have no need for a computer housing. All I need is juice, a motherboard, processor, memory and a matching graphicscard which can handle games like the first edition Creed..... without any problem.

I know somebody willing to assemble the lot if I deliver the parts.

Any hardware geeks with suggestions..? The budget is 600 dollars...is it possible?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I am postive you can get a low end rig, NEW for under 600 that will run most modern games.

My friend just bought a stupid little net book for 350 that runs things like Dirt, Saints row, and Deus Ex.

It runs them on low settings but it runs them.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
try tiger direct and amazon. they usually have really good motherboard and processor packages. TD even has bare bones kits you can buy. Also look on local craigslist, its full of computers and parts and great deals.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This may help with CPU selection.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
New egg, just me goofing around and half assing it.

If you look, you will find better deals.

Segate HD 1tb 89.99
Hd6670 1gig radeon x2 185.
550 watt psu 64.99
8gig mem 69.99

ASrock mobo and Amd 16 quad core 161.

total was like 572 and that includes 2 video cards...

If I actually take my time and look I can probably get it under 500 and be a pretty decent rig, DO NOT buy used, you are asking for trouble, the above was all brand new parts.
edit on 30-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Segate HD 1tb 89.99
550 watt psu 64.99
8gig mem 69.99

If I actually take my time and look I can probably get it under 500 and be a pretty decent rig, DO NOT buy used, you are asking for trouble, the above was all brand new parts.

I agree with this except for the video card recommendation.
Better to get one gaming GPU than two 6670's.
Personally...?
I'd get new components for everything, then check forums to grab a decent video card at a great price.
Last year I bought a 6850 for $100 on overclockers.com.au forums... the thing ran everything, perfectly...

then I got a tax refund and bought a new PC

I wouldn't skimp on video.
I'd also recommend buying a smaller SSD for your Windows install (60gb will be fine) and using a 1tb drive as storage/gaming...

Grabbing an SSD will be the single greatest general performance increase you can get... outside of improving graphics performance for games, that is.

[edit]

The other option would be an auction site. I've used www.graysonline.com.au quite a bit - you can grab amazing bargains there. I recently got a Core 2 Duo with 1tb hd, 6570 video, DVD burner, card reader etc. for $40.00 there - perfect for an HTPC for my girls to watch Peppa Pig

edit on 30-8-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

Originally posted by benrl

Segate HD 1tb 89.99
550 watt psu 64.99
8gig mem 69.99

I agree with this except for the video card recommendation.
Better to get one gaming GPU than two 6670's.
Personally...?
I'd get new components for everything, then check forums to grab a decent video card at a great price.
Last year I bought a 6850 for $100 on overclockers.com.au forums... the thing ran everything, perfectly...

then I got a tax refund and bought a new PC

I wouldn't skimp on video.
I'd also recommend buying a smaller SSD for your Windows install (60gb will be fine) and using a 1tb drive as storage/gaming...

Grabbing an SSD will be the single greatest general performance increase you can get... outside of improving graphics performance for games, that is.

[edit]

The other option would be an auction site. I've used www.graysonline.com.au quite a bit - you can grab amazing bargains there. I recently got a Core 2 Duo with 1tb hd, 6570 video, DVD burner, card reader etc. for $40.00 there - perfect for an HTPC for my girls to watch Peppa Pig

edit on 30-8-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

The only problem is the OP is asking for low end but performance.

SSD would bump his price way up (although I agree the greatest performance gains in load times and boot was when i went SSD felt like a new computer).

As I said, that was just me putzing around new egg, I am positive I could build a high performance gaming rig for 500 that would beat at the least Current gen console graphics.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
...depends where he wants to shop though.
I picked up a 60gb SSD for $50 second-hand.
Provided the seller can provide HD stats to show that it still has a decent uptime left etc. it should be fine.
I don't think I could go back to a PC without an SSD now.
I'd probably look at buying a 2nd hand PC with a warranty (via auction), then adding an SSD and video card to it to round it out.

I'd probably be able to do that build, and have a decent gaming PC, for under $300.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elton
This may help with CPU selection.

Everybody,thx for the contribution so far..

Ofcourse would I like the best processor in my setup. Are there any 'outdated' motherboards you know of compatible with the best of high end processors....?

btw..frames per second...are we not looking at grapicscard processors here?

edit on 1/9/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

top topics

join