It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic TV Star, the Rev. Benedict Groeschel, Defends Child Sex Abusers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...-8d6Ne688

I did a search but didn't see this story.

A well-known Catholic priest who hosts a weekly religious television show said in an interview this week that child sex abusers are often seduced by teenage boys and should not go to jail on a first offense.

The Rev. Benedict Groeschel, 79, who hosts a weekly show on Catholic television network EWTN, made the comments in an interview with the National Catholic Register. He also referred to convicted pedophile Jerry Sandusky as a "poor guy."

He also goes on to say clergy and lay men should not go to jail on the 1st offense of child sex abuse because the intent was not to commit a crime

He blames it on the kids, and says they seduce and tries to justify it with saying it is romantic!!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
ugh...another failed attempt at taking responsibility for their actions..

Disheartening and infuriating just reading that crap. *sighs*

edit on 30-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
When I first saw this today I thought to myself "Well, at least we know now where his mindset is at!"

This joke of a clergyman should be excommunicated without explanation if thats how he is going to defend paedophiles!

Regardless if teenage boys "seduce" or "flirt" their intentions is irrelevant. Underage is still that and especially that type of relations is illegal. Full stop!

Idiot, absolute idiot!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

2nd.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr
abcnews.go.com...-8d6Ne688

I did a search but didn't see this story.

A well-known Catholic priest who hosts a weekly religious television show said in an interview this week that child sex abusers are often seduced by teenage boys and should not go to jail on a first offense.

The Rev. Benedict Groeschel, 79, who hosts a weekly show on Catholic television network EWTN, made the comments in an interview with the National Catholic Register. He also referred to convicted pedophile Jerry Sandusky as a "poor guy."

He also goes on to say clergy and lay men should not go to jail on the 1st offense of child sex abuse because the intent was not to commit a crime

He blames it on the kids, and says they seduce and tries to justify it with saying it is romantic!!

That's sick and it makes one think if he's a pedophile himself. He can pray all he wants in prison.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
From the article

"At this point, (when) any priest, any clergyman, any social worker, any teacher, any responsible person in society would become involved in a single sexual act -- not necessarily intercourse -- they're done. And I'm inclined to think, on their first offense, they should not go to jail because their intention was not committing a crime."

Shocking, I am speechless.
edit on 30-8-2012 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I know! I think that he must be an abuser as well, and is trying to justify it. Why else? Maybe his friends abuse children?

I would not be surprised at all if this interview leads to an investigation on him.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

This reminds me of an old male attitude towards women who were raped, according to them the woman had it coming & were asking for it. Way to go Catholic Church..... /golfclap

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A good friend of mine left her church when they passed around the jar to collect funds for the defense of priests accused of molestation.

Can't say I blame her.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I read his statement this morning. It was sad.

Up until a couple of years ago, Father Groeschel was absolutely fantastic ... excellent priest and wonderful speaker. He really helped a lot of people through his order and he could explain theological issues in terms that were easy to understand.

Then he was part of a HORRID car accident and he had a BAD stroke.
He hasn't been the same since. I'm thinking those two things left behind some brain trauma.

He needs to retire. His pre-stroke/pre-accident legacy is wonderful.
If he doesn't retire, all he'll be remembered for is what his brain trauma is talking about now.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There it is folks, a perfect eXXXample of true ignorance at its finest.

This man is a psychologist too! My head is spinning. If the kid is flirtacious, address it on the spot by redressing his/her conduct. Let the parents know, send him home, etc.

But to defend someone who is "seduced by a minor" well, there are simply no words. Get this sicko off television and anything to do with influencing parishoners and youth.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Why oh why do normally intelligent just people keep attending these bloody churches ???!!!

Well we all know why and that's what so sad about it all, the sooner attendees of the catholic church get labeled as Pedophile protectors the better, this will hit the church where it hurts the most, the pocket and hopefully bring this disgusting institution closer to demise.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I just don't think that being pro-pedophile can be blamed on brain trauma. Maybe it can be, I'm just not really buying it. You say he has helped many people, but we may soon find out he has hurt kids while he was at it.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
He apologized , and so did the site that posted the interview.

"I apologize for my comments," it said. "I did not intend to blame the victim. A priest (or anyone else) who abuses a minor is always wrong and is always responsible. My mind and my way of expressing myself are not as clear as they used to be. I have spent my life trying to help others the best that I could. I deeply regret any harm I have caused to anyone."
abcnews.go.com...

Some of the comments to the news story seem to want to blame this on his old age and brain trauma too....

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

All well and good to defend him due to a stroke and car accident, yet the idea that this is a new thought to him due to trauma is silly. He is defending pedophiles and you can be darned sure this isn't the first time these thoughts have rattled around his sick brain. Dude, the guy is making clear statements that he is rationalizing - seems to be a motto of the church and he finally spilled the beans.

CJ

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
All well and good to defend him due to a stroke and car accident, yet the idea that this is a new thought to him due to trauma is silly.

It's not silly at all. The man is OLD. He had a STROKE. He had a serious car accident that he almost died in and that he was in a coma with. Those things scramble the brain. Up until this point he never said anything like this.

ALL things considered - unless there is some kind of proof that this man is a pedophile or that he has said something like this prior to these serious brain scrambling events, I have to go with 'innocent until proven guilty'.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well they also say that as folks age, they stop caring what others think when they open their mouths, so they just open 'em and say what's on their mind. This also might be an explanation.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
His remarks were condemned by the Church. The story was pulled.

www.washingtonpost.com... 8-11e1-b74c-84ed55e0300b_print.html
edit on 8/31/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
Well they also say that as folks age, they stop caring what others think when they open their mouths, so they just open 'em and say what's on their mind. This also might be an explanation.

This is true for many. My girlfriend and I have noticed this about our Moms and decided old age isn't worth turning into a jerk.

I will add that my Mom lives in a retirement community and has felt the sting of others negative remarks and I do think she is trying to be sweet.

sad eyed lady
edit on 8/31/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

That's something everyone seems to forget these days. A person is innocent until proven guilty. I have seen so many times people complaining about our rights being trampled on, our country heading towards totalitarian control, etc, then they turn around and voice their opinion on how someone who is accused of something is a sick, wrong, twisted, whatever. Yet all you are doing is trampling on his constitutional rights to a jury of his peers. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to demand your freedoms and rights, then say another person shouldn't have theirs?

<<   2 >>

join