It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The General Lee" die cast car model from "The Dukes of Hazard" to be produced only if..........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
theclicker.today.com...

The Confederate flag is removed. Someone might be offended.....by a model car....from an 80's TV show....about some "good ole' boys".

Crazy.

PC run amok???

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have a classic charger, and I used to love the Dukes of hazard as a child.

Would I get it painted Orange, sure, would I add the flag... no probably not.

Times change.

Its funny because in the recent movie there was a scene where they where stuck in traffic and getting crap from people because of the flag on it.

Like it or not that Flag has meaning to a movement of people that are very racist, Symbols have meanings.

The question is should we censor them because of that meaning?

The swastika is a holy symbol that Hitler perverted, is it fair that when people see it they take offense?

Id say so, as it has more meaning now than it did pre-hitler.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
From the article:

a poster to HobbyTalk.com's message board wrote there that he was told by a sales rep for the Tomy toy company that "starting January 1, 2013 all Dukes of Hazzard General Lee vehicles will not be allowed to be produced with the Confederate flag on the top of the vehicle. This directive has been passed onto us from the licensor Warner Brothers."

Although the report still hasn't been confirmed...

I guess we will have to see if it is true or just rumor from the HobbyTalk forums.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Your right, kind of. When I see the swastika, I get all emotional inside. After learning about the history of it, even though I know its not meant to incite hatred or anger, it does. I am not so sure I would want to take someones right away because it makes me uncomfortable with a symbol being "there". It would be different if it was actively being shoved down my throat though.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
are they going to change the cars name too.

because the general lee is named after robert e. lee,
supreme commander of the confederate forces, fighting for southern succession and rights, including slavery.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And long as they don't mess with Daisy Dukes shorts, I can live without a flag on a car...

~Heff

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
hi op

from a british point of view

if the union jack was taken away from the mini
i would be outraged
thats our heritage...

what next? colors that resemble your flag
ive grown up knowing that british green is our color
check that history out
cheers
dave

ETA: sorry i mean British racing green

edit on 30-8-2012 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It it doesn't have a confederate flag on it, it's not the General Lee.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
hi op

from a british point of view

if the union jack was taken away from the mini
i would be outraged
thats our heritage...

what next? colors that resemble your flag
ive grown up knowing that british green is our color
check that history out
cheers
dave

ETA: sorry i mean British racing green

edit on 30-8-2012 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

Interesting,

I personally have no real direct feelings about the confederate flag. I am from Oklahoma, which was "Indian Territory" during the war. Had the South won, well Oklahoma probably would be a Southern State, but could also have been a northern state, or stayed Indian Territory. Also at one pont it was going to become to states, Oklahome and Sequya. So who knows. I see some see it as offenseive. I know a lot of southern's (who incidently are not ractist) who still have "southern pride" and respect the confederate flag. Incidently, the "stars and bars" is the actual flag of the confederacy, but the flag on the Dodge Charger (and incidently the most famous or most identifable confederate flag), is actually the confederate ensign/navy jack. It was also used by the "army of Tennessee".

en.wikipedia.org...

I did watch the show as a kid, and think it's stupid to change or omit the cars iconic look.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Someone "might" be offended... might be offended??!!

...and frankly, if they were offended... so what!!

I'm so worked up about all this PC rubbish that I'm trying not to swear incase I offend someone

Please....

The person who gets offended is the one with the problem, they're the nutjob that needs to deal with it, grow a set, thicken their skin and worry about more important things, and I mean generally, not just this case.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

I'm so worked up about all this PC rubbish that I'm trying not to swear incase I offend someone

Please....

The person who gets offended is the one with the problem, they're the nutjob that needs to deal with it, grow a set, thicken their skin and worry about more important things, and I mean generally, not just this case.

In the last ten years or so i have noticed this
The Union Jack only comes out when there is a big show for exsample
The world cup
and recently the olympics

Prior to that in the mid 90s i was actually warned by a police officer that
"That FLAG is offensive to the minorities that are here"

i had the flag which was about 5 by 5 ft flapping out of my window and we had lost the world cup
AND this peace officer was asian
i could say more but i will leave it at that, ive seen so much PC crap
that its getting hard to take in oxygen without someone wanting to know why

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Lately i've found much joy in further offending people who get offended.

I don't really care anymore lol.. PC doesn't exist to me. I walk around in Louis C.K mode now.

top topics

join