It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surveillance planes being used in my old town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I live in Georgia, and just recently moved here from Lancaster California. I'm visiting this week for my brothers wedding and a friend of mine shared a story on her Facebook... And even said she's seen this plane flying around
Infowars-surveillance planes in Lancaster CA

The Californian city of Lancaster will be the first to experience a “new era in law enforcement surveillance” with residents set to be watched by a permanent eye in the sky which will beam constant video footage back to police headquarters including crimes in progress as well as “scenes of mundane day-to-day life.”

So the "new era of law enforcement" is underway. Including monitoring mundane day-to-day life huh?

“About a few hours into its maiden flight Friday, the plane’s video feed captured its first incident: a motorcycle rider who had crashed at 20th Street East and Avenue K. Using the video, deputies in the dispatch were able to help paramedics assess the situation before they got to the scene. Later, the department got word that a group fight was brewing at Eastside High School. The plane moved into position and conducted surveillance above the campus. No fight occurred,” reports the L.A. Times. According to a report by ABC 7, the camera can zoom in to a person walking down the street from three miles away. The system also has a 5 second response time, meaning it can swiftly pinpoint a car and track its movements indefinitely.

Talk about a great first use! I like the usefulness such as with assessing accidents, but damn that's a powerful camera!
This next bit is where it gets real uncomfortable to me...

Despite claims that the surveillance system will only target crimes in progress, officials admit that the video footage will be stored for two years and can be reviewed in case a crime or suspect was “unwittingly” captured on camera.

So footage will be stored for "2 years"... And will be used in a case where someone was unknowingly caught on camera breaking the law...

Figured I'd bring this info to the peeps here at ATS. The link has the full story, so feel free to read.
How do you feel about this?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by IanPaul
So footage will be stored for "2 years"... And will be used in a case where someone was unknowingly caught on camera breaking the law...

I can't set my mind on either side of this story, but I can understand the 2 years of storage.

First, it may have to due with statute of limitations. Some crimes do not necessarily have to be reported right away in order for them to still be considered crimes. Available evidence means the ability to prosecute.

Second, some crimes are not reported right away due to the victim's hesitance to come forward and/or the victim does not realize a crime has been committed upon them. Again, available evidence means the ability to prosecute.

Third, now more than ever, it is easier to store mass amounts of media with relative ease. Years ago, it would have been a bit ridiculous to keep 2 years worth of surveillance tapes. All those tapes would take up lots of physical space. Now, surveillance is digital, and large capacity hard drives and servers to store all the footage are simple to find. Everything can be streamlined to the point that everything can be backed up and referenced quite quickly and with simple interaction with an intuitive front-end of some sort.

In all, I feel it has to do more with making use of available technologies, and addressing past problems.
edit on 2012.8.30 by TravisBickle451 because: Typos

edit on 2012.8.30 by TravisBickle451 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2012.8.30 by TravisBickle451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
How do I feel? I feel like globalism is just around the corner.

How do I feel about that? Pffft.

Thanks, OP.

Keep your eyes peeled in Georgia. I've seen two aircraft recently that were small and quiet. They were pretty far off so I can't in any way be sure, but I have a feeling some are already flying here in the south for whatever purposes.

Will they be used for "good" and good only? That is the question.

edit on 30-8-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IanPaul

Really, does anybody else consider these stories as noting but "warm and fuzzy" PR stories for MSM consumption
?
Really, again, just how much crime in progress can an airborne camera chance upon?
This story is pure BS. The plane may be useful--but not as useful as a 'copter--when the cops are involved in a high-speed chase or when there is an on-going problem some where, but in general how much crime can be spot from the air?

Answer, they will be be using the plane(s) for tracking mere suspects, not spotting crime as such. Perhaps they will be used for the same purpose as the vans that simply are driven around automatically logging car license plates into a data base. Whatever their justification, it is another assault on privacy.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
reply to post by IanPaul

Answer, they will be be using the plane(s) for tracking mere suspects, not spotting crime as such. Perhaps they will be used for the same purpose as the vans that simply are driven around automatically logging car license plates into a data base. Whatever their justification, it is another assault on privacy.

When you are outside and in public, there is no expectation of privacy. You essentially give up that right when you walk out your door.

That's the reason why someone like a random amateur photographer can snap a photo of you outdoors and you can't do much to force him to delete the photo.

top topics

join