It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which English Variety Is The Best To Learn?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I advise learning American English as it is often easier and more logical (if you are not French) and it is more in line with the massive media content from the US.

I cringe every time I see "colour", as it seems to me very out of place, even if I understand why the French language had a large impact.

I think the Portuguese have done well even if at time it requires a larger vision about the benefits by normalizing Portuguese, they ended most of the problems with local dialects no more Brazilian Portuguese etc...

Does Spanish have the same problems or French ?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Canadian. It doesn't matter if you spell colour or color, grey or gray, realize or realise. We can use American or England's English.

Although I prefer our spelling of "pay cheque" better than "pay check". That needs to be spelled proper.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Ya,its funny! when i see it spelled color,i go kinda nutty!
I'm Canadian (English speaking) from Scottish blood,so i learned the King's English (Queen's?)
My spell check is American,and it tries to correct my spelling all the time!

It's unfortunate that English has degraded to the point which it has,but alas,it is a living language and I suppose it has to grow!
Now days I'm lucky if I come across someone who can spell correctly,never mind speak English,or even understand what the words mean that they use to express themselves!

I love etymology and I probably sound smug when i speak,but I will not apologize for proper use of the language
If you don't like it,well:
'i pop a cap in yo ass bitch!!!'
Or in English:
'I will make a popping sound with my fire arm whilst attempting to fire a projectile into your buttocks,you female canine!!!!
ha ha ha !!!

peace

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Canadian. It doesn't matter if you spell colour or color, grey or gray, realize or realise. We can use American or England's English.

Although I prefer our spelling of "pay cheque" better than "pay check". That needs to be spelled proper.

properly!

Psst: It's an adverb.
edit on 8/30/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Lol, I guess if one is to learn English, one should learn to speak/write it properly

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm from Queens, NY you probably don't want to base your learning on us ova heur. The people in california talk normal just standard plain English with no accent I could detect.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The variety I speak, obviously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join