It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50,000 people have 90 mins evacuate , Percy Quinn Dam expected to break

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
looking at google;
there's the I-55 that could get closed? Was it closed back in '83 and the other one in '99?

My dates may be off...

links to 55 being bad for flood conditions

I expect the 55 to be detoured away from flood expectancy...

Stay safe.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Huge devastation was the result of hurricaine Katrina years ago. Now another hurricaine is hitting the exact same area. I have no pity for the people that chose to stay in such a dangerous area. How many hurricaines will it take before you live somewhere else?

Some peoples homes there are once again full of water. All im saying is I dont need to be seeing this ' oh these poooor people are stuck in a hurricaine look at thier homes all full of water' it's thier own fault they chose to stay for whatever reason. Hurricaines devastate the area it doesnt take a genius to realize its not a good safe place to live. Hmmm family history or family safety for future generations..........move...quit whining on the news and move.

How many hurricaines will it take before you realize that place should be abandoned? Anyway, have fun living in the flood, guess they all like it.

This is really an ignorant post and one I see quite often. Have you ever stopped to consider that moving costs money? That jobs are scarce that pay much? Those people that "chose" to stay may have children? That people all over the country, and specifically in some of those areas, are already having daily/weekly/monthly financial issues?

Getting up and moving, no matter how bad you want to, is not easy. Not everyone has a great education and/or high paying jobs. If you have a family it is even harder. I'm sure a LOT of those people have wanted and continue to want to move but just can't.

Stop acting like all those people shouldn't have people showing compassion. Besides what I said above, they are humans. Smart, dumb, rich and poor. They are humans and no one should act like they deserve to have such a horrible situation bestow them because they didn't just pack up and leave.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
you know, none of this would be necessary if they just hired beavers........I know one that works in a bar in Calcutta...she's great for dammin...
edit on 30-8-2012 by Kastogere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Unthought Known

It is stupid to keep living there. Compasion or not the people living in these areas need to move.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here is the live video

Video Streaming

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Wheres Obama and FEMA?

Glad they have a Governor to take swift action and get those people out of there. Don’t want to interrupt Obamas campaign stops.

This ticks me off to no end. Its reported all over the news that its a CAT1 storm. It may have low winds but its a super slow moving storm. Dumping TONS of water in an area that is under a severe drought. Severe drought plus lots of water equel flash floods.
edit on 30-8-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

What...in God's Name are you talking about? Do you really want the President of the United States to be there sandbagging or something? (which would be an obvious photo-op / publicity stunt.). And what do you mean by "where's FEMA?"...FEMA has been working non-stop. I was involved in a small part with getting 600,000 pounds of tarps moved to Louisiana for FEMA as just a tiny sliver of the operation. FEMA is fully-involved to the point where dozens of people were working for 30 of the last 36 hours JUST for this one batch of supplies that I was involved in (a fraction of the tarps alone, which is only 1 supply item of many being brought to bear incredibly quickly. Within 48 hours, FEMA had sourced probably 100 truckloads of tarps from various points in the nation, which were then coordinated to be moved to the destination. You're expressing outrage as if they're not doing anything, simply because the one tidbit of information you're aware of (a damaged dam which is being ably handled properly) didn't describe to you the details of everything being done.

As for "glad the have a governor..." - I'm sure the people of LA are glad they're governor is doing the job he's supposed to be doing as well. In your misplaced outrage against the POTUS and FEMA, who, contrary to 7 years ago ARE doing a bang-up job, did you forget that the governor's job is to be the executive of his state?

Sorry for the long tirade, but it irks the heck out of me when people start ranting and raving against something, when the reality of the situation is opposite of what they believe is happening.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
A friend of mine took this picture the other day. Now mind you we do not have any of Issac's wrath. And no Dam opened up to release all this water. It was just in my area with few rain showers but this area got the brunt of the rain showers.

Glad I was no where near there.

It's like, so that's where all the rain went.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Terror in the Gulf: Feds planning to purposely blow-out leeves between 2-3 cst today

During an 11:30 a.m. CT news conference, Jindal said if the McComb, MS, dam breaches, it could affect an area with an estimated population of 40,000 to 60,000 residents. Residents along the Tangipahoa River in Mississippi and Louisiana were ordered at 10:10 a.m. to evacuate within 90 minutes after initial warnings the dam's failure was imminent.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
This time instead of rebuilding with sheetrock they could use polyplastics. It will save a lot of effort in the future

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hope this is some how preventable! I will say this though if FEMA turns up eveybody is really in the proverbial #ter!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Moving costs money, people don't have jobs, blah blah blah. It's not impossible, they had years to figure it out. How many people came from ANOTHER country with damn near NOTHING and are now living fine in the U.S? It definitely happens...and then you have the people who live in this once devastated, now devastated again, area. You are seriously telling me people can figure out how to get their family over here FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY to try and make a life, but these other people couldn't move ONE state away to safety? Call it ignorant if you want, it's common sense.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I wonder when either they will learn to stop rebuilding where it is prone to disaster or when we'll learn to stop funding their stupidity?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Any more news on this????

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
I wonder when either they will learn to stop rebuilding where it is prone to disaster or when we'll learn to stop funding their stupidity?

The thing is, people are not learning from these events. That's what gets me.

People in the UK too, they live in houses that have been flooded out five times in the last decade, and no one thinks to move? They don't really even need to move, some of these places are beautiful and I would love to live there, and all it would take is to change the design of your home.

They do this all the time all over the world. You can build on flood plains, but you need to build on stilts. It's not that freakin' hard to do! Then maybe you're stuck in the house for one week every five years when the place floods, but you're safe, dry, you don't lose everything you own...

Why do so many people have absolutely zero common sense?

edit on 31-8-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

The problem for many is that homes were bought over a decade ago. Many of these places flooding regularly now, didn't beforehand. Changes like building upstream on flood plain areas, concreting over water courses, etc, has meant that homes that were not susceptible to flooding now flood regularly. Therefore these people have some serious negative equity when it comes to time to sell, making moving all but impossible, unless you want off hundreds of thousands of pounds.

As to rebuilding, the same problems as above mean that (for example) insurance companies will not fund repairs because of the newly associated risks, or banks will not sanction loans / mortgages for any such work to be carried out. For many, they are basically stuck between a rock and a hard place.

However, there are also many idiots. For example the guy and his wife in my local who moved into a riverside place a couple of years ago (in an area that has always flooded, for millenia) and now complain loudly about the Environment Agency, government, etc, every time they get flooded. To me, that is like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about the noise.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I agree that people who lost everything in Katrina maybe should have thought twice about moving back to the same area again. But the thing is, a very large part of the population in New Orleans and the surrounding areas are elderly and on a fixed income and don't have much of a chance to get ahead or start all over again. New Orleans alone ranks something like the #2 city in the country for the most elderly residents. 56% or so of it's population are elderly. These people really can't just pack up and move. A younger person could possibly move elsewhere and take up two or three jobs to get established but the elderly aren't able to do that. I think they account for many of the ones who stay behind or return. A large part of them aren't even able to evacuate to begin with. If you are poor, don't have a vehicle and no family to help, what do you do? I know this doesn't account for everyone who returns to the area or doesn't leave it to begin with, but I think it does account for a lot. There isn't much of a chance for them really so they just stay put.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

In other words, the Jetsons did what they had to do to survive

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unthought Known

Huge devastation was the result of hurricaine Katrina years ago. Now another hurricaine is hitting the exact same area. I have no pity for the people that chose to stay in such a dangerous area. How many hurricaines will it take before you live somewhere else?[...]

This is really an ignorant post and one I see quite often. Have you ever stopped to consider that moving costs money? That jobs are scarce that pay much? Those people that "chose" to stay may have children? That people all over the country, and specifically in some of those areas, are already having daily/weekly/monthly financial issues?[...]

Can't move? As if it were EASIER to stay in NOLA after Katrina? No, friend. you have your facts backwards. I have moved all over this country, and the best pay/cost of living ratio I have ever encountered was in North Dakota. Yes, it's inconvenient (except for Fargo), but the benefits are good paying jobs and low crime rate (I can see how that might be a problem for the masses from NOLA). Of course, they don't have much of a welfare state up there, either... those protestants believe in everyone pulling their own weight, ya see.

Come to think of it, that's probably why they stayed in the Big Easy. It's Easy! If irresponsible, foolish, and stupid.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unthought Known

Huge devastation was the result of hurricaine Katrina years ago. Now another hurricaine is hitting the exact same area. I have no pity for the people that chose to stay in such a dangerous area. How many hurricaines will it take before you live somewhere else?

Some peoples homes there are once again full of water. All im saying is I dont need to be seeing this ' oh these poooor people are stuck in a hurricaine look at thier homes all full of water' it's thier own fault they chose to stay for whatever reason. Hurricaines devastate the area it doesnt take a genius to realize its not a good safe place to live. Hmmm family history or family safety for future generations..........move...quit whining on the news and move.

How many hurricaines will it take before you realize that place should be abandoned? Anyway, have fun living in the flood, guess they all like it.

This is really an ignorant post and one I see quite often. Have you ever stopped to consider that moving costs money? That jobs are scarce that pay much? Those people that "chose" to stay may have children? That people all over the country, and specifically in some of those areas, are already having daily/weekly/monthly financial issues?

Getting up and moving, no matter how bad you want to, is not easy. Not everyone has a great education and/or high paying jobs. If you have a family it is even harder. I'm sure a LOT of those people have wanted and continue to want to move but just can't.

Stop acting like all those people shouldn't have people showing compassion. Besides what I said above, they are humans. Smart, dumb, rich and poor. They are humans and no one should act like they deserve to have such a horrible situation bestow them because they didn't just pack up and leave.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

It is stupid to keep living there. Compasion or not the people living in these areas need to move.

Believe it or not Louisana does not get too many hurricanes. Katrina was a history making storm which focused the worlds attention on New Orleans but the facts are that LA does not get too many hurricanes. The fact that this area has such fine weather, warm most of the year, is a beautiful area to live in makes it a desirable area to live. People live in California even though they face the threat of earthquakes, they live in the mid west agricultural belt even though every spring they are subjected to tornados. Its stupid to say they should move away. I guess where you live you face no perils from weather or geological phenomena and thats great for you but the planet is an active place and there really is no place that is scott free of danger.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join