It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50,000 people have 90 mins evacuate , Percy Quinn Dam expected to break

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Officials predict that a planned breach would send much of the water into a heavily forested area and not flood Louisiana towns, Thats what they are saying minor issue in the big picture

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

That si the most important thing to know, that it is the debris that floods along with the waters that are the most dangerous. Debris meaning, metal, tree's, animals, septic tanks, houses, you name it.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
they just announced the dam is in a state of eminent failure, hope everyone gets out while the gettin's good.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This is a nice story. But, I think this is a preemptive action because a disaster in this area would reflect rather badly on the people who are responsible for it. All the people remember Kathrina, and some of the recentment towards Bush came after Kathrina. There are a lot of people that don't want to be associated with a disaster in this geographical area.

With that being said, I'm glad people are taking the hurricane-threat seriously. Hurricanes is a far larger threat to America then terrorism. Mother nature is a teacher that practices tough love. She gives lessons and lets us learn with consequences.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
anybody else comes to think about the movie "close encounters of the third kind"?

edit on 30-8-2012 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
actually there is a person in the Dam with live stream at the moment

live stream

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
actually there is a person in the Dam with live stream at the moment

live stream

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
they already saying to EVACUATE .. at this point this really bad news... they said that the dam is failing.. and if that's so.. it's only a question of hours ...

again you can see an example of the sequence of failure on earth dam's: dam failure

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A lot of reports are saying that the dam will collapse.

However, the official word seems that a controlled realease has begun. I believe they were planning to let the water out over at one side onto mainly farmland that is sparsly populated. If they are able to move a good amount of water out in this controlled way I wouldn't give up on the main dam yet. Have seen this been done on many dams before and it is very often successful.

bigstory.ap.org...

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal says a controlled release of water has begun at a Mississippi dam that's been stressed by Isaac and prompted evacuations in Louisiana.

The dam is at a lake near the Louisiana-Mississippi border and has been under a lot of pressure since Isaac sloshed ashore in southeast Louisiana.

Jindal said that if the water hadn't been released, it would have caused significant flooding.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
they are planning a levee breach... this is a serious and dangerous situation, because it has to be done very slowly, even so, the risk is high, cause of the increase of erosion in the outside "face" of the dam that could lead to the rise of materials slide.

a use of large and flexible tubes, settled down along the exterior face of dam could help... just a thought, do.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
News does seem to be getting more positive from the area.

www.wtva.com...

State emergency responders are assessing impaired portions of the dam at Lake Tangipahoa at Percy Quin State Park in Pike County.

Heavy rains from Isaac damaged the structure, which has not been breached.

Heavy equipment and pumps from across the state have been dispatched to initiate a controlled water release from Percy Quin State Park to the Tangipahoa River to relieve dam pressure, which should not significantly increase water levels down stream.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
My family's in the east end of Ponchatoula, La. We got flooded from this same dam in 1983, and it looks like its about to do it again. I just talked to my parents and they're sticking it out with 2 boats...crazy!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

I don't expect people like the person you quoted to read anything at this point.

Again, another thread where people harp on Obama despite the fact that this topic has nothing to do with him, except for the disaster declaration.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Huge devastation was the result of hurricaine Katrina years ago. Now another hurricaine is hitting the exact same area. I have no pity for the people that chose to stay in such a dangerous area. How many hurricaines will it take before you live somewhere else?

Some peoples homes there are once again full of water. All im saying is I dont need to be seeing this ' oh these poooor people are stuck in a hurricaine look at thier homes all full of water' it's thier own fault they chose to stay for whatever reason. Hurricaines devastate the area it doesnt take a genius to realize its not a good safe place to live. Hmmm family history or family safety for future generations..........move...quit whining on the news and move.

How many hurricaines will it take before you realize that place should be abandoned? Anyway, have fun living in the flood, guess they all like it.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleverhans
My family's in the east end of Ponchatoula, La. We got flooded from this same dam in 1983, and it looks like its about to do it again. I just talked to my parents and they're sticking it out with 2 boats...crazy!

Praying your folks stay safe.

sad eyed lady

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Wheres Obama and FEMA?

Obama busy with the war and elections.

FEMA...not meant for emergency disaster relief...it is meant for the attainment and detention of civilians as part of marshal law and the NWO.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hope I'm not detracting in any way from the "Natural Disaster"...

But is there *any* way we would know if this was pre planned?

I'm no storm expert, but I feel Isaac is something of a strange one, and the Words of Dr.Peter Beter still ring in my mind, when he states various American damns are loaded with explosives to go off of whenever... seems like a random thing to make up...

Gives FEMA a leg in also..
edit on 30-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Hope I'm not detracting in any way from the "Natural Disaster"...

But is there *any* way we would know if this was pre planned?

I'm no storm expert, but I feel Isaac is something of a strange one, and the Words of Dr.Peter Beter still ring in my mind, when he states various American damns are loaded with explosives to go off of whenever... seems like a random thing to make up...

Gives FEMA a leg in also..
edit on 30-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

Answer: No.
How does Isaac feel strange? Are you Britiish familiar with hurricanes like the U.S.?

Btw, it's 'dam'....not 'damn'

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well I have to say that I live in Livingston Parish and am at work as the police in Hammond now. This city is pretty much under water and our POS mayor refuses to enforce a curfew! We have the bars opne and have already had a fatality wreck from the flood waters. Now we are all watching this damn dam to see what it does. I remember the flood of 83 and I have my family ready to roll out. If it breaches I have about 4 hours to get out. Most of the poeple here have no power and we have people wandering everywhere. As usual I am watching on here for update as the news sites are useless. Please let me know if you hear anything on a breach! intentional or otherwise!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

Well, there's no words to describe certain feelings..

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join