It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man building his own island out of plastic bottles

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Just 2 days ago I watched the documentary, Garbage Warrior. The genius "warrior" has been building "earth ships" for over 30 years using plastic bottles, old tires, etc. for future sustainability. This is one documentary well worth watching!

edit on 4-9-2012 by Toots because: corrected video URL error

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
two words one movie
water world

and heres the answer to our rising sea level problums

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
why Mexico ?

I am not bashing the idea at all (It's actually a very good idea) just wondered why there.
I love the concept of your own island and he clearly has put a lot of work into that.

Maybe he can call himself the king of the island.

This reminds me of that other 'brit' bloke that lives on an island on his own (posted a couple of months back on ATS).

Why is it us brit's are doing these things ?

Why not Mexico? I've actually been to the plastic bottle island, it is (or was a few years ago at least) a regular stop on a lot of the boat and catamaran trips. Not sure he could call himself king of the island as it's in Mexican coastal waters.

For all the talk of setting it free and traversing the oceans, from swimming up to it first hand, I'm not convinced it would be able to carry the amount of water and food it would need for long term travel and it's clearly not designed with that purpose in mind anyway. Would love to say I had met him and asked for his opinion, but the only person on board the day we were there was his dog, he was off shopping.
edit on 4-9-2012 by something wicked because: typo

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I wonder how this would hold up at sea! haha. I would love to make my own private island out of bottles! Sounds like a lot of fun.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I've looked at 'my own island' before to see how expensive it would be.

There's a lot of cheap islands about. I've seen them from £6k in Tongo - beautiful island. My only worry would be pirates out there.

In the Uk i've seen several for sale. Pretty big too, the size of a 2x football pitches. These were between £30k and £60k. Thats a lot cheaper than a house.

Would it be possible to move to this island, grow your own crops, build your own house, have solar power (and any other natural source of electricity) maybe even exercise bikes rigged up to the same battery storage too. You'd only need minimal living. A laptop would be plenty for TV entertainment. I don't know the full 'how to live on an island' guide but I do like the idea of living off the grid.

I'd be quite happy waking up, doing a little gardening and basic jobs to keep me alive and well, then sit on my beach chilling.

The size of the island there could be several who invested make it worthwhile.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join