It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the groups that are even more conservative than most conservatives vote Democrat.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

What I am getting at is how can the religious that are so devout, that have such high moral values put a political party before their own soul.

I think you may be looking at this wrong.

Just because someone is devoutly religious does not mean they are moral. Some of the most immoral people among us are that way because they have a twisted view on what "God" would want them to do.

There is also a large portion of religious folk in America that realize this nation was founded on a separation of church and government. One's religious belief should not even be considered in the political arena and these people understand that. They vote for whom they believe would represent their political aspirations more so than their religious beliefs.

I hope that you are not trying to say that Democrats are any less moral than Republicans. Each party has their black marks and it would be hypocritical to say otherwise.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You need to quit painting all conservatives with such broad brushes,

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well when you put it in terms of what can the leader's do,

"FOR ME", isn't that just as selfish?

I don't mean they want it for themselves. I don't need anything. I want it for the less fortunate. People are in need in this country and I care about them. ALL people should have healthcare and food and be able to get help from the government when they need it. It's not "FOR ME" it's "FOR ALL", as I've been trying to stress.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Jesus would have been a Democrat.

But
The OT God would have been the GOP speaker.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well when you put it in terms of what can the leader's do,

"FOR ME", isn't that just as selfish?

BH Jesus would not be a Democrat, in fact Jesus didn't like government.

edit on 103131p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

And Jesus would not be a Republican.

Jesus said to care for one another.....love thy neighbor and extend good will to those that are sick and in need.

Jesus also did not have a problem with government. He actually knew the importance of government. What he didn't like was the greed that infested government and clouded the moral judgement of Men.

If Jesus was here he would tell us that we are all wrong and that you need to do for each other...not for party.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I understand about the less fortunate, but is the government doing the giving?

Surprise! Conservatives are more generous than liberals

Read more: dailycaller.com...

“In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.”

Clearly, there are a number of factors that influence the disparity between conservative and liberal giving. Two reasons that Brooks mentions in his own work are religious affiliation and the way in which liberals and conservatives view the government’s role in society. To address the former, a higher proportion of conservatives are religious and, thus, report routinely giving to churches and faith-based ministries.

In terms of the latter, it’s no secret that liberals are more prone to accept the notion that it’s the government’s responsibility to provide direct services to the people. While conservatives are by no means opposed to essential state-sponsored programs, they place a higher value on personal responsibility and the building of self-driven social capital. According to Brooks, “…You find that people who believe it’s the government’s job to make incomes more equal, are far less likely to give their money away.” Compassion, however, should be rooted in personal engagement; liberals fail to match conservatives in this area.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Here let's try this for instance,

Hispanic and African-Americans liked using both of the phrases "pro-life" and "pro-choice" to describe themselves. Seventy-one percent of black Americans and 77 percent of Hispanics said that "pro-life" describes them very well, but at the same time 75 percent of black Americans and 72 percent of Hispanics said the same of the phrase "pro-choice."

The survey also took a deeper look into how views on abortion are formed in the black and Hispanic communities, with religion emerging as a major factor.
Read more at global.christianpost.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I agree with you SS, I am not taking sides or pushing a political party, this has been on my mind a while and I guess you nor I can answer for them, it is just an observation.

The fact seems to be that the most devoutly religious seem to be democrat.

be back later, have to do some research,

thanks for posting guys and gals.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

You need to quit painting all conservatives with such broad brushes,

Unfortunately, the loud (and insane) minority tends to paint the party as usual.

Social conservatism I oppose. That is, to me, mega big oppressive government trying to kick down your door and walk into your bedroom. There is very little about social conservatism I respect. it is nutty, it is religious, and it is interfering with my personal choices.
As far as fiscal conservatism, I look at the hard numbers and overall plan. I understand to buy a tractor it costs far more than to buy a simple hoe and hire a worker..however, the long term benefits will work out much better than not buying the tractor, so a hit is taken as a investment.
the right wing fiscals cons suggest that the tractor is just a wild and radical expense and is anti-conservative..which I disagree. overall I find more fiscal conservatism coming from the center-left...but both sides fail a bit here. More revenue mixed with streamlining is required to balance the books while keeping the quality of life for our nation (again, keep the poor out of my vision).

So, I am all for fiscal conservatism, I just am into actual fiscal conservatism verses bull non fact short sighted stuff thats peddled. I want to see the full picture and all influences, not just what my paycheck today.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

We will see, BBL

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I'm not seeing to much racism where I live here in NE Ohio, but I am see all sorts of special interests.

People raise the race card, which has lost it's meaning for me, to tout their particular "interest". Whatever the "interest" is, it usually equates to more money.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
No one else see that these groups are Conservative?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

No one else see that these groups are Conservative?

Conservative in name only. Is the Irish Republican Army anything close to what a American Republican is?

I think it's just a term used in the context that they deem fit. Just as we use the term to mean what we like.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I understand about the less fortunate, but is the government doing the giving?

Surprise! Conservatives are more generous than liberals

Read more: dailycaller.com...

Clearly, there are a number of factors that influence the disparity between conservative and liberal giving. Two reasons that Brooks mentions in his own work are religious affiliation and the way in which liberals and conservatives view the government’s role in society. To address the former, a higher proportion of conservatives are religious and, thus, report routinely giving to churches and faith-based ministries.

This isn't really as true as the article leads you to believe, it makes the assumption that giving to churches and faith based ministries is the same as donating to a specific charity. It is not. While churches do run and assist in many public services the totality of those funds are not going to them unless the donation is specifically requested to go there. Unless specifically donated those funds are just as likely to be used in building a new church, pastor's salary, festival and summer bible school. So yeah while at first glance it looks better the fact is that the direct impact of those funds in social welfare are probably about the same.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Muslims, extremely religious and moral, vote Democrat.
Hispanics, mostly devoutly Catholic, vote Democrat.
Catholics, need I explain, vote Democrat.
African Americans, very conservative when it come to gays issues, vote Democrat.
Jewish, mostly vote Democrat, which is odd, because from what I see from being on internet forum, liberals don't particularly like the Jews, nor do Catholics, or African Americans, and neither do Muslims, weird

Because the Democratic party is more inclusive, and less xenophobic than the current Teapublican party. You're viewpoint seems narrow-minded.

You're also making snide insinuations about "Liberals don't like Jews"

Right-wing rhetoric can be very anti-Jewish, anti-Catholic, anti-African American, etc. See any one of the White Power movements. It's an Anglo-centric, Nativist, exclusionary mindset.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Voters, are you bluffing? Americans identify as conservatives but often vote liberal

Read more: www.post-gazette.com... zz252ypYaHW

Twice as many Americans identify themselves as conservative as opposed to liberal.

In "Spoiled Rotten: How the Politics of Patronage Corrupted the Once Noble Democratic Party and Now Threatens the American Republic" -- a book more measured and scholarly than its overwrought title -- Jay Cost of The Weekly Standard says the party has succumbed to "clientelism," the process of purchasing cohorts of voters with federal favors. This has turned the party into the servant of the strong.

Looks to me like politics is all about voting for the person you think that can do the most for you.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well one more and I think I am done,

Political Parties and Interest Groups

Interest groups exist to make demands on government. The dominant interest groups in the United States are economic or occupational, but a variety of other groups--ideological, public interest, foreign policy, government itself, and ethnic, religious, and racial--have memberships that cut across the big economic groupings; thus, their influence is both reduced and stabilized.

We are so fractured and divided,

me me me

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

It will become all one thing or all the other.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Looks to me like politics is all about voting for the person you think that can do the most for you.

maybe it was that way at one time -

now it seems to be more about voting for who scares you the least

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

maybe it was that way at one time -

now it seems to be more about voting for who scares you the least

I have never, ever voted for anyone. I have always voted AGAINST the party that openly displays [and uses it to divide the country] racism, elitism, homophobia and last but not least, sexism.
edit on 30-8-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

People vote for how they'll benefit the most.

If a politician is speaking personal responsibility and hard choices and actually budgeting and work ethics, people will tune out.

If people talk about giving, caring, empathy, sharing. . then that resonates with the religious aspects of their world views.

At least thats my take on it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join