It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the groups that are even more conservative than most conservatives vote Democrat.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Why the groups that are even more conservative than most conservatives vote Democrat.

Muslims, extremely religious and moral, vote Democrat.
Hispanics, mostly devoutly Catholic, vote Democrat.
Catholics, need I explain, vote Democrat.
African Americans, very conservative when it come to gays issues, vote Democrat.
Jewish, mostly vote Democrat, which is odd, because from what I see from being on internet forum, liberals don't particularly like the Jews, nor do Catholics, or African Americans, and neither do Muslims, weird.

Two-thirds of Latino registered voters identify as Democrats,
abcnews.go.com...

A Pew Research Center survey in 2011 found that 19 percent of Muslim voters were Independent or had no party preference, and 70 percent affiliated with the Democratic Party or were Democratic leaning.

www.iowawatch.org...

Jewish American communities tend to be a stronghold for the Democratic Party, with more than 70% of Jewish voters having cast their ballots for the Democrats

en.wikipedia.org...
African Americans

African Americans

From the end of the Civil War, African Americans primarily favored the Republican Party due to its overwhelming political and more tangible efforts in achieving abolition, particularly through President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.[45] The south had long been a Democratic stronghold, favoring a state's right to legal slavery. In addition, the ranks of the fledgling Ku Klux Klan were composed almost entirely of white Democrats angry over poor treatment by northerners and bent on reversing the policies of Reconstruction.[46] However, as years passed and memories waned, African Americans began drifting to the Democratic Party, as Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs gave economic relief to all minorities, including African Americans and Hispanics.[45] Support for the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s by Democratic presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson helped give the Democrats even larger support among the African-American community, which consistently vote between 85-95% Democratic.[45]

Hispanic

Democrats increased their share of the Hispanic vote in the 2008 presidential election, with Barack Obama receiving 67%. Cuban Americans still heavily vote Republican, though there has been a noticeable change since the 2008 elections.

I understand that each of these groups must have special interest that they think the Democratic party can offer them.

So then ones special interest trumps ones moral values?

Interesting,
Just things I wonder about.

What is it?
edit on 103131p://bThursday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

1) To instigate class warfare
2) To reap the fruits of their hard labor

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR

1) To instigate class warfare
2) To reap the fruits of their hard labor

I don't understand number two.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Think about how non minority Conservatives usually treat and portray these groups:

That alone, outside of special interest, is bound to create enemies. Want people to vote your way and within your party? Stop acting like they are 2nd class or less than human. There is nothing special about being white. Don't demonize others because they are not. Treat them like humans and you'll have allies. Treat them like "mud races" and you'll have political opposition. All people desire is spoken and unspoken respect (don't speak praises and then drop subtly racist musings).

That's a large factor...but yes, special interest is another large part in the equation.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Just because someone has a set of moral values, it doesn't mean that they think it's right to impose those values on others. So there doesn't need to be a conflict.

I think they are just voting for the party they believe will provide them with the most possible freedom to follow those values.

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Don't most atheist vote democrat also?

Seems many devoutly religions people, vote democratic, I find it odd that they find anything in common with a party they don't agree with on spiritual issues.

Don't the devoutly religious put their soul first?

Secular

The Democratic Party receives a lot of support among secular organizations such as the Secular Coalition for America[4] and many atheists. Exit polls from the 2008 election showed that although a religious affiliation of "none" accounted for 12% of the electorate, they overwhelmingly voted for Obama by a 75–25% margin.[5]

Plus I can't tell you how many times I have heard people malign god believers and especially the Christians, as if Christians don't vote democrat.

Don't they realize that within their own party they have some of the most devout believers of all?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think many people actually believe in Freedom. I mean like the freedom my signature espouses. For ALL.

For example, yes, Catholics are conservative, but a president who works toward freedom and equality for ALL is going to be more attractive than one who wishes to restrict the freedoms of those "not like themselves", and works toward the freedom of the wealthy, white males, but no one else.

The GOP of today is NOT conservative. They are extreme, restrictive, separatist, dishonest and manipulative. What's not to love?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

What's the significance of this? Do you think atheists DON'T have a set of moral values?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Everybody thinks that Catholic teachings are about nothing but sex, sex and more sex (mostly about how you're not supposed to have any
).

What many people fail to realize is that the Church also has official teachings on social issues that run more in line with Liberal thinking...

Option for the Poor and Vulnerable

A basic moral test is how our most vulnerable members are faring. In a society marred by deepening divisions between rich and poor, our tradition recalls the story of the Last Judgment (Mt 25:31-46) and instructs us to put the needs of the poor and vulnerable first.

The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers

The economy must serve people, not the other way around. Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in Gods creation. If the dignity of work is to be protected, then the basic rights of workers must be respected--the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to private property, and to economic initiative.

Care for God's Creation

We show our respect for the Creator by our stewardship of creation. Care for the earth is not just an Earth Day slogan, it is a requirement of our faith. We are called to protect people and the planet, living our faith in relationship with all of Gods creation. This environmental challenge has fundamental moral and ethical dimensions that cannot be ignored.

Seven themes of Catholic Social Teaching

A lot of people forget that the Catholic bishops were instrumental in bringing Obamacare into existence. Maybe they should have read the thing before they endorsed it instead of trusting Pelosi.

A lot of Catholics adhere more to the social issues of the Church than they do the sexual morals part. Some are openly dissident of Church teachings an hope to make the Church more liberal from within (although, I personally wish they would just leave). A lot vote Democrat because that's they way their daddy voted and their daddy's daddy.

The Dems really did better represent the Catholic point of view better than the Republicans a few generations ago. Problem is; many are so set in their ways (voting wise) they can't take the time to see the Dems have turned AGAINST Catholics over the past 20 years as the party embraced liberal social issues such as abortion and gay rights.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987

Just because someone has a set of moral values, it doesn't mean that they think it's right to impose those values on others. So there doesn't need to be a conflict.

What I am getting at is how can the religious that are so devout, that have such high moral values put a political party before their own soul.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

What's the significance of this? Do you think atheists DON'T have a set of moral values?

No I think some atheist are more moral than god believers,

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

That's if you think all conservatives are racist, now remember it switched gears, once African Americans were overwhelmingly Republican.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I dare say many of the above don't like each other very much either, they have been at war with one another for centuries.

Take the Catholics and the Muslims for instance.

another

Blacks and hispanics in Los Angeles County are at each other’s throats.

They’re fighting one another in schools and in prisons. As these groups compete for the same low-skill jobs and “preferred minority status,” tensions mount.

Ethnic groups fighting for resources is as old as the hills.
lashawnbarber.com...
According to a report released by the Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission, 2005 Hate Crimes Report (PDF), 633 hate crimes were reported in Los Angeles County in 2005, up from 502 last year. This increase was caused by a “sharp spike ” in race-related hate crimes, which jumped 46 percent. Contrary to popular opinion, hate crimes are not primarily white-on-black, at least not in LA.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Because the democratic party will provide them will a better opportunity to live their lives as they wish and follow their own moral values.
The conservative party in the states (when looking in from the outside) seems to have a lot of opinions on how people should live their lifes. And if you are a minority, and therefore live a life which is different from the norm, you wish for freedom to chose an alternative. When you are in the majority you wish for conformity because it is easier for oneself. I am not saying it's a rule, but I think its a pretty fair assessment.

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
What I am getting at is how can the religious that are so devout, that have such high moral values put a political party before their own soul.

Many devout religious people actually believe as Jesus apparently did. Love your neighbor, give to the poor, don't judge, hate the sin, not the sinner, we are all God's children, do unto others... and so on. If you look at that "mindset" in political terms, these are all tenets of the Democratic Party. Jesus would have been a Democrat.

The Republican Party of today is more like - I got mine, get your own. Let the church take care of the poor - not my problem, healthcare is for the elite, remove the rights of people that aren't like us, only some of us are "entitled"... and so on.
edit on 8/30/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   
Obama is working to get out war and is trying to avoid another way, although he will go to war if he has to.
Romney doesnt want to talk, he wants to go to war.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This topic isn't about race it is about a faith,

The topic is about faith and politics.
thanks

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't know about groups, but I do know my personal life.
Put me next to a republican in a crowd, you will think I am the conservative just by life actions. I am reserved, respectful, traditional, Dominant, and a bit country (can outfish anyone).

I toss to the government the things I don't take care of in my life. I can control my own spiritual path (lets be honest, the only thing the republicans bring to the table is the merging of church and state). The things the government are for is to handle things bigger than anything I can do in my own house. I cannot clean up the water I drink, the air I breath, the multitudes of poor that threaten to get in my face should programs stop (I don't want to see poor people begging for food and stuff on the streets...push them into some box, they offend my eye. I will gladly pay a few bucks extra to remove this sight and get them trained up).

Ron Paul said something interesting. He said if heroin was legal, would anyone in that room do heroin (was making a point that drug laws are silly)? of course he was asking a group of old people...he should ask that same question in a high school. it might be 50/50.
Smart government is required. Anyone can (and does) breed, and wisdom in leadership is preferrable to no leadership.

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well when you put it in terms of what can the leader's do,

"FOR ME", isn't that just as selfish?

BH Jesus would not be a Democrat, in fact Jesus didn't like government.

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Muslims, extremely religious and moral, vote Democrat.

Those that identify as being Republican make a point to stop construction of Mosques, assert a pro-Israel position and want more war in the Middle East. Also like Catholics and Jews believe in social programs.

Hispanics, mostly devoutly Catholic, vote Democrat.
Catholics, need I explain, vote Democrat.

Believe that the social safety net, and social programs are foundational to living in the example of Christ.

African Americans, very conservative when it come to gays issues, vote Democrat.

Followed the Republican Party until the party shift during the civil rights movement.

Jewish, mostly vote Democrat, which is odd, because from what I see from being on internet forum, liberals don't particularly like the Jews, nor do Catholics, or African Americans, and neither do Muslims, weird

Another group that largely believes in the social contract.

So then ones special interest trumps ones moral values?

Not really the only moral interest that the Republican Party has any real claim on is abortion. As an issue it is purely subjective and mainly decided by two things. Where it is you believe life begins. And do you feel it is your right to make that decision for anyone else.

edit on 30-8-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join