reply to post by Mike.Ockizard
For all of the back-and-forth people keep giving about Obama, we do need to accept that he actually did accomplish a good amount of things. When you
consider he had the GOP, the Christians, and the racists of America all working against him, alongside the inane prattle about his birth certificate,
being a socialist-Muslim, and being assumed to be the Antichrist... he didn't do a bad job. Here, let me remind everyone of some of what he did:
01. Saved the automotive industry. While everyone likes to complain about the "corporations owning America," I would love to hear anyone's
reasonable plan for what we would have done if all American automakers collapsed. Additionally, he gave a nice tax write-off for people who buy
hybrids which promote cleaner air and longer-lasting cars. Also, the "cash for clunkers" thing.
02. Afghanistan. He moved focus from Iraq to Afghanistan and even found and killed Osama Bin Laden. Then, he began bringing the troops home, and
helped to calm Anti-American sentiments around the world. He effectively cleaned up the mess Bush Jr. started with his lies about "weapons of mass
03. Prioritizing. He made the environment a priority, and then began working on renewable energy opportunities, as well as bringing education to the
forefront. There are now groups being funded to seek renewable energies and schools are being outfitted with better technologies to help encourage
learning for grades K-12.
04. He began overhauling our military, introducing better armor, smarter technologies, removing unecessary expenditures, etc. All to make warfare
safer for our soldiers. Additionally, he visited more foreign countries in his first six months than any other President, ever, in an attempt to calm
Anti-American opinions, while also renewing dialogue with NATO.
05. Passed a $789 billion stimulus plan, and then created 2 million jobs (as of '09) with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. In fact, the
unemployment rate is actually decreasing now.
06. He passed Obamacare, and has removed some of the restrictions on stem cell research and other medical avenues which could help Americans and the
world in the long run. Additionally, he cleaned up conditions at army hospitals, signed a closure of Guantanamo Bay, opened Veteran clinics, etc.
Now, whether you "agree" with his Democratic, liberal, or-whatever, stance: there's a lot of purely good things in there. Like overhauling the
military to upgrade our supplies, calming the world's opinion of our country, pushing for new medical and energy reforms, trying to focus some on
civil liberties (the Homosexual things recently), killing the head of a terrorist organization, etc.
He didn't do bad. He cleaned up, or is currently-cleaning up, a whole bunch of messes Bush made. I, personally, say let the man have another four
years. Maybe if the government -I'm looking at you, Republicans- actually backed the guy the people elected to run the country
, then he could
~ Wandering Scribe