It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia announces enormous finds of radioactive waste and nuclear reactors in Arctic seas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I had some really fresh, juicy prawns for lunch yesterday. Yummy, they were.

Today, I'm having some Chicken Littles for breakfast.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donkey_Dean
the notion of humans hurting planet Earth is entirely fictional.

Humans are the cancer of mother Earth.

Your entire post about how we are entitled to cross the galaxy, is utter nonsense. Your line of thinking is the reason we are in this situation in the first place.

Are your goals really more important than the circumstances of which you were allowed to be here?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Add that Russian junk under the sea to the list of buried things that can go critical at any second and blast neutron beams through the Earth.

Expect many more massive sinkholes to develop around the planet. Neutron beams from nuclear material going critical is bad. I'm surprised the Russians theorize the criticality of their submarine powerplant could cause a nuclear explosion, must be that submarine still has warheads on board.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Toxic waste has been dumped everywhere. Theres a good chance you are living on top of some. It doesnt matter what you eat, its infected. Dont be so self righteous to say " I dont eat fish". The fact is eating seafood is much better for you then beef, poultry or any other land famed animal.You just dont like fish. It makes me laugh you saying i dont eat that stuff, then puling into a Wendys drive in. If you want to eat meat you should eat goat, chicken or small fish. Best option is to eat mostly grains and yogurt with small amounts of fish each week. Can I stop seeing the guy living in the basement that somehow got a picture of himself one the beach telling me what is good to eat? please

edit on 31-8-2012 by Speckle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It's funny to see how many people here are supposed experts in the field of nuclear chemistry.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
In Soviet Russia, all the world is your dump!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Add that Russian junk under the sea to the list of buried things that can go critical at any second and blast neutron beams through the Earth.

Im pretty sure a neutron beam would not travel all the way through the earth there's just to much matter in between it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The truth is the whole world is now radioactive far beyond safe level exposures (if there even is such a thing). All the food you eat, the water you drink and bathe in, the soil you grow food in, the air you breathe - it's all contaminated with hot particles. People living on the West Coast are breathing in 5 -10 hot particles per day, on the East Coast 3-5. Ultra-high levels of radioactivity are showing up in Brazil and Australia, so the idea that the southern hemisphere is a safe zone is just an urban myth. There are no safe zones. "Safe" nuclear power was and is the biggest hoax of the 20th and 21st centuries. It was pushed solely to be able to build nuclear bombs, which the US has been deploying in the form of Depleted Uranium weapons since Desert Storm in the early 90s. Birth defects and cancer rates are off the charts in Iraq. Cancer rates are epidemic here and elsewhere as well. We are committing slow mass nuclear suicide, and we are taking the whole planet with us. Those in power have an absolute death wish. I grieve for this planet.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

There is currently no safe way to dispose of radioactive wastes. Scientists have developed an energy system with no anus in a world whose basic principle is recycling. Components of spent uranium remain dangerously radioactive for 4.5 billion years. We are not capable of building anything that will last 4.5 billion years.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

River fish are fine if the river is clean. Bottom feeders are a no no.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Uneedhlp247

Yeah, the US does the noble thing and turns they're depleted uranium into ammunition and shoots it at other people. Don't you know there is no safe way to dispose of this stuff? Do you think putting it in metal barrels and burying it in the ground, only to leak out and destroy things in the future is something honorable?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
How do you "find" that theres nuclear reactors under the ocean? They didnt get there themselves. What the hell.

I stopped eating seafood after fukushima. Maybe i shouldve never ate it in the first place.

Didnt the usa drop a nuclear bomb just off the east coast by georgia once?iirc, they were on a training mission and had to drop it before crashing?

edit on 30-8-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

Yes. A B52 I think dropped is after midair refueling accident. They looked and looked but never found it. They (USAF) decided at this point, it's too dangerous to continue looking for it. It's probably stuck under several meters of mud. On the good side, if it goes off, Charelston will never know whtat hit em (I think it's a big one, like 15 Meg's).
The planes landed safely I believe.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

You guys are talking about this accident:

1958 Tybee Island mid-air collision

The Tybee Island B-47 crash was an incident on February 5, 1958, in which the United States Air Force lost a 7,600-pound (3,400 kg) Mark 15 hydrogen bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, USA. During a practice exercise the B-47 bomber carrying it collided in midair with an F-86 fighter plane. To protect the aircrew from a possible detonation in the event of a crash, the bomb was jettisoned.

Highlight by me.

The same article also states:

t about 2:00 AM, the B-47 collided with an F-86. The F-86 crashed after the pilot ejected from the plane, but the B-47, despite being damaged, remained airborne, albeit barely. The crew requested permission to jettison the bomb in order to reduce weight and prevent the bomb from exploding during an emergency landing. Permission was granted and the bomb was jettisoned at 7,200 feet (2,200 m) while the bomber was traveling about 200 knots (370 km/h). The crew did not see an explosion when the bomb struck the sea. They managed to land B-47 safely at Hunter Air Force Base, later Hunter Army Air Field. The pilot, Colonel Howard Richardson, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross after this incident for his role in piloting the B-47.

The aircraft landed safely, but apparently there are some concerns as to the state of the nuclear warhead casing and possible contamination to the surrounding area:

The risk of corrosion of the alloy casing of the bomb is less if it is completely covered in sand. But if part of the alloy casing of the bomb is exposed to seawater due to the shifting strata in which it is buried, rapid corrosion could occur, as demonstrated in simulation experiments. Eventually, the highly enriched uranium could be leached out of the device and enter the aquifer that surrounds the continental shelf in this area. Storms, hurricanes, and strong currents frequently change the sands of the continental shelf near Tybee Island.

To date, no undue levels of unnatural radioactive contamination (over and above the already high levels thought to be due to monazite, a locally occurring sand which is naturally high in radiation) have been detected in the regional Upper Floridian aquifer by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

In relation to the recovery efforts, that article only states the following:

Starting on February 6, 1958, the Air Force 2700th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron and 100 Navy personnel equipped with hand held sonar and galvanic drag and cable sweeps mounted a search. On April 16, 1958 the military announced that the search efforts had been unsuccessful. Based upon a hydrologic survey, the bomb was thought by the Department of Energy to lie buried under 5 to 15 feet (2 to 5 m) of silt at the bottom of Wassaw Sound.

In 2004, retired Air Force Colonel Derek Duke claimed to have narrowed the possible resting spot of the bomb to a small area approximately the size of a football field. He and his partner located the area by trawling the area in their boat with a Geiger counter in tow. Secondary radioactive particles 4 times the naturally occurring levels were detected and mapped, and the site of radiation origination triangulated.

It seems that they have detected a possible location, but the article doesn't mention any active recovery effort other than the one of Colonel Derek Duke.

Hope this helped.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In the early 70's when I was young and stupid, I use to drive for a moving company. They had a contract for hauling trailers from the train yard, filled with empty fifty gallon drums, to the local nuclear plant.

We could haul 8 or ten empties out to the plant, but when it came time to pick them up, we were lucky to haul two a day back to the train yard. We picked them up in the radiation dump yard, couldn't step onto the ground, we could get to the back of the cab and hook air lines. The landing gear was raised by two men in protective suits, who would run Geiger counters over the tires once we left that yard. Also, one detector that we wore was turned in to them. Sometimes they would make us go inside and wash up before we left.

I was told these drums were filled with "blue dust", a supposed low radioactive waste. It was brought by train up to Maryland or Delaware, put on barges and taken out to sea and dumped. We sometimes hauled up to sixty trailers of these drums. This was only one plant, you can imagine the total amount across the states that they did the same thing with.

So, this dumping has gone on for years.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Things are going from bad to worse, and most of us don't really know what we are eating.... whether it is radiation in our food supply or chemical enhancement to create food out of what we normally wouldn't think of eating.

I agree with you sometimes at night I can't tell the difference between the night-lite's and the glow coming from the fruits and vegetables, on my counter.

Pretty soon we won't need a night-lite in our bathrooms because the water, in the bowl will be glowing too.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I love seafood, but after all of this bs I'm starting to think otherwise. Although, look at all of the crap they put in the products we consume everyday...chicken, beef, veggies, etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
How do you "find" that theres nuclear reactors under the ocean? They didnt get there themselves. What the hell.

I stopped eating seafood after fukushima. Maybe i shouldve never ate it in the first place.

Because radiation only affects seafood

Looks like you supersized too many meals anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The world is starting to get messy yes, and its sad for shure, but I'm not gonna stop eating my fish, or other nice foods. heck sooner or later I will die anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by KEMIK
I love seafood, but after all of this bs I'm starting to think otherwise. Although, look at all of the crap they put in the products we consume everyday...chicken, beef, veggies, etc.

Not to mention the radioactive isotopes they accumulate. Bio-accumulation doesn't happen just in sea food. No more Kobe Beef

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You should listen to the descriptions of the fish North Sea fishermen haul. All due to the oil rigs up there apparently.

I was thinking whilst I was driving just yesterday, watching a couple of chemtrails being sprayed, the only way to sort out all the different kind of 'messes' going on is to completely and unilaterally shut every god dammed thing down. Power plants, banks, cars, aeroplanes, trains, ships, even governments, everything. I believe we have gone beyond the 'tipping point' and nothing will change until all our ammenities are taken away and we learn some respct the hard way. We have earned the punishment right royally.

Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join