It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia announces enormous finds of radioactive waste and nuclear reactors in Arctic seas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Russia announces enormous finds of radioactive waste and nuclear reactors in Arctic seas

www.bellona.org

Enormous quantities of decommissioned Russian nuclear reactors and radioactive waste were dumped into the Kara Sea in the Arctic Ocean north of Siberia over a course of decades

some 17,000 containers of radioactive waste, 19 ships containing radioactive waste, 14 nuclear reactors, including five that still contain spent nuclear fuel; 735 other pieces of radiactively contaminated heavy machinery, and the K-27 nuclear submarine with its two reactors loaded with nuclear fuel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
After Japan and now this are you guys still eating fish?
I'm happy to say i've never tried seafood in my entire life.

But regarding the article.... am I wrong in thinking there is a huge market for this waste?

You might even get a country claiming that Iran deep dived in that area and took a bunch of reactors...

Nuclear waste is a major problem!
We are destroying our Oceans

I believe that Russia owns the 2nd largest supply of freshwatre on the planet, and the Kara Sea receives some of it from various sources.

By the year 2050, you may be forced to become a vegetarian. That is, if Sweden's water scientists are to be believed.

According to the Stockholm International Water Institute, "There will not be enough water available on current croplands to produce food for the expected 9 billion population in 2050 if we follow current trends and changes towards diets common in western nations."

news.yahoo.com...

Western nations?
Ya it's not only western nations it seems

The War on Water!

www.bellona.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
How do you "find" that theres nuclear reactors under the ocean? They didnt get there themselves. What the hell.

I stopped eating seafood after fukushima. Maybe i shouldve never ate it in the first place.

Didnt the usa drop a nuclear bomb just off the east coast by georgia once?iirc, they were on a training mission and had to drop it before crashing?

edit on 30-8-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
We are in the midst of a large drought in the US, driving food prices up. The fact that we are using a lot of corn to make ethanol to mix with gasoline is driving food prices even higher.

Things are going from bad to worse, and most of us don't really know what we are eating.... whether it is radiation in our food supply or chemical enhancement to create food out of what we normally wouldn't think of eating.

It is getting pretty depressing.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
How do you "find" that theres nuclear reactors under the ocean? They didnt get there themselves. What the hell.

I stopped eating seafood after fukushima. Maybe i shouldve never ate it in the first place.

Didnt the usa drop a nuclear bomb just off the east coast by georgia once?iirc, they were on a training mission and had to drop it before crashing?

edit on 30-8-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

It was a 7,000 pound nuclear bomb, dropped by a B-47 off the coast of Georgia, near Tybee Island. The bomb has never been found. While the US government is no longer official looking for it, other "unofficial" groups, including retired military veterans are:

While the government has officially stopped searching for the bomb, area residents — including retired Air Force pilot Derek Duke — haven't forgotten about the deadly weapon lying quietly off their coast. In 2004, Duke detected high radiation in shallow water off the coast of Savannah. Government officials investigated, but concluded that the radiation readings were normal for the naturally occurring minerals in the area.

Here is a link to the article:

For 50 Years, Nuclear Bomb Lost In Watery Grave

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Of course the Russians dumped their waste in the worlds ocean! Why wouldn't they? You can't expect all nations to treat their waste as the U.S. does.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
they dumped it then they found it. now they can start working to fix the problems they caused by dumping it there.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If Russia is willing to work on cleaning up it's past mistakes the world should try to assist because it effects all of us. Hopefully we can rid this planet of the need for nuclear weapons and even nuclear subs in the future. I do not know if that is possible for mankind to do. Seems like the overall nature of mankind is to dominate. You can't dominate without superior weapons. We waste too much energy also. Every generation gets worse. With all the energy saving stuff we are doing, it seems like electrical consumption is still increasing. Too many electric gadgets. We don't need an electric can opener. We don't need remote controlled appliances plugged in with transformers constantly using juice. A country that is high in obese people has a remote control on everything. Can't walk to the phone to answer, instead we spend a lot of time looking for the phone when it rings. Keep those battery chargers a runnin, they create energy jobs.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
they dumped it then they found it. now they can start working to fix the problems they caused by dumping it there.

Funny how a name change to the guilty Country can erase all responsibility so that they can "discover" what they themselves put there.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
is it bad form to bring me geiger counter to the all you can eat sushi place I frequent?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Somehow....someway someone will find a way to claim this is the United States fault. Watch it is inevitable. Well some posts dont directly blame us but they did add the US into the equation somehow.
Russia with all of the uninhabitable land that they have, yet they choose to dump it in the Arctic sea??????
I guess the million dollar question now is; will they clean it up? Probably not.
edit on 8/30/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

You might have to. It would be awesome to see. I might spit up my food laughing so hard. Imagine the chefs reactions.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I used to work at the downtown YMCA in San Diego in the mid '70s. I met one sailor who told me the Navy had one of their big aircraft carriers that had a nuclear reactor that had become totally contaminated. Their solution? The towed the ship out to the open ocean and just dumped the entire reactor overboard. So it's not just the Russians doing this.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

I thought about bringing my geiger counter to the grocery store. I don't think that would go over too well.
I'd probably be arrested for having what looks like a bomb and make the 6 o'clock news.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

I'm sure there are no records of the locations at see where the USA dumped their stuff, it would need to be rediscovered also. Businesses didn't keep track of their toxic chemical disposal in the past either. Keeping track of it would mean there was evidence that could be used against them in the future years if rules changed. Most of the people who knew of these dumpings here in the USA are dead or they are collecting pensions from the companies and are afraid of losing them if they open their mouths. It would be wise for companies to reenact pensions programs if they wish to stay in business a long time.
edit on 30-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Originally posted by Crakeur

Funny how a name change to the guilty Country can erase all responsibility so that they can "discover" what they themselves put there.

This is almost bad as being responcible for the genocide of the American Indian population.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
I used to work at the downtown YMCA in San Diego in the mid '70s. I met one sailor who told me the Navy had one of their big aircraft carriers that had a nuclear reactor that had become totally contaminated. Their solution? The towed the ship out to the open ocean and just dumped the entire reactor overboard. So it's not just the Russians doing this.

Really?

Care to give the name and hull number of that carrier please?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Ive been curious for some time concerning nuclear waste, dumped in a vicinity of a oil deposit.

Since the artic has a supposed vast oil field, if it were drill and refined, would our cars then be spewing radioactive waste, not mention the other carbons?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
As I always say, there is the pollution you know about, so imagine what you don't know about. Illegal dumping is a massive problem.

Why?

Because waster elimination is very expensive. So to save money, Russia illegally dumped it in the ocean.

Unreal.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

By the year 2050, you may be forced to become a vegetarian. That is, if Sweden's water scientists are to be believed.

According to the Stockholm International Water Institute, "There will not be enough water available on current croplands to produce food for the expected 9 billion population in 2050 if we follow current trends and changes towards diets common in western nations."

news.yahoo.com...

I think one of the things being said here, you know many in the world could stand to eat less. Now I'm not trying to blame large waisted people for a possible future vegetarianism, but I think depression contributes a lot to overeating. Personally I think that many of the woes we discuss on ATS contribute a great deal towards depression so the problem of food ends up going much deeper than radioactive water in my opinion, not that polluted water doesn't contribute. One might think that a lot of polluted water comes from corporations and countries simply trying to save a buck at the expense of our future health and happiness, there's a problem here.

As for the radioactive water, I'm thinking the Russians will want to do at least something about it. They have to live on this planet too you know. I couldn't say for sure, but during the cold war era I think there was so much concern over nuclear war that no one put much stock into what was being done to the environment. Minds are becoming ever more clear as to the ramifications we face from damaging our environment to such extreme extents. I think that corporate wars and national wars play a big role in our ability to overlook what damage is being done. We focus so clearly on defeating the enemy we forget that in so doing we've defeated ourselves.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join