It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama On Web Freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

"Internet freedom is something I know you all care passionately about; I do too," Obama wrote during an AMA ("ask me anything") on social-news site Reddit. "We will fight hard to make sure that the Internet remains the open forum for everybody - from those who are expressing an idea to those to want to start a business."

Link

How do you think this will effect sites like ats.
Isn’t this kind of thing going to prove, site admins "like" on ats
picking and choosing of what content is allowed is against the 1st amendment?

It is easy to defend freedom of speech when the message is something many people find at least reasonable. But the defense of freedom of speech is most critical when the message is one most people find repulsive. That was true when the Nazis marched in Skokie. It remains true today.

Link

I’m quite sure this post will be removed as it is going to ruffle a few feathers.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
How does an article about Obama on reddit equate to picking and choosing of what content is allowed is against the 1st amendment?
I don't follow your logic and i am guessing not many others will either.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Its not about that. its the quote Obama made.
Its against TOS to cite with no source, hence my source.

I made my post as clear as i can.
Try and Focus on the Content in my Post.
edit on 30-8-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

What quote? The only quote I see in your thread is Obama maintaing that the web should be open.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

May I ask...why do you think this thread will be removed. You made a statement, that I think, should be better explained.

TIA...Des

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Obama believes the internet should be an open forum for everyone......
But how can you have Open Forum when Sites pick and chose content.
My question is how can sites especially ats or glp be an open forum, that’s not against the 1ST
and still pick and choose content at their discretion?

I thought a simple line could be drawn but i guess i was wrong.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Because Ats likes to remove posts before they are even complete,
let alone ones that question their administration.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The 1st amendment does not cover businesses. A private business has the right to pretty much deny anything they want to.

The Supreme Court has never interpreted the First Amendment as having the power to alter purely private property rights, or provide any other protection against purely private action. When considering private authority figures (such as parents or an employer), the First Amendment provides no protection.

en.wikipedia.org... Constitution

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Thanks Barron.
Now i can see how ats and other ad supported sites are a business.
Imo it's a loophole. one that needs closed.
Its not actually selling anything. Unless you consider a Pay Per Click Sales?
Therefor not a Business.

Do you consider ats to be a public service? I do
I also have never once considered that it would have to be not for profit.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Obama believes the internet should be an open forum for everyone......
But how can you have Open Forum when Sites pick and chose content.
My question is how can sites especially ats or glp be an open forum, that’s not against the 1ST
and still pick and choose content at their discretion?

I thought a simple line could be drawn but i guess i was wrong.

Maybe because ATS is a *privately* owned forum, with a logical TAC based on demographics of users,.

I don't know if you have children. Would you feel comfortable with them surfing an unmoderated, free-for-all,, anything goes, site?

Des....

edit on 30-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Quite simple really. You don't understand the 1st Amendment.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

en.wikipedia.org...

The 1st as it pertains to free speech, there are several other aspects, is set in place so the GOVERNMENT can not set laws to limit free speech. It has nothing to do with what private entities can do when setting parameters as to what is acceptable for their own purpose. Thus ATS' T&C's are NOT an infringement of the 1st. They are the rules that everyone agrees to abide by as a member. If one disregards the T&C then the staff has no choice but to remove the content that everyone has agreed to. Simple.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Its "Privately Owned" On the WWW. In Public Domain.
I fail to see how its private when all the info contained herein is publicly accessed via Google search.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Do you consider ats to be a public service?

I can see where you are coming from, but alas ATS is a business.

I have been around this site for years and have sen a lot of good and bad people come and go. The owners of ATS and the mods just do the best they can to keep the place from becoming a full blown 3 ring circus.

While ATS is a public forum, we are all guests here and must abide by the given rules.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Its "Privately Owned" On the WWW. In Public Domain.
I fail to see how its private when all the info contained herein is publicly accessed via Google search.

If you are so unhappy with ATS, why do you continue to stay, and post here? It seems when someone is upset with the place they hangout, they find another place that makes them happy. Yet, here you are complaining about the place, you pay no fee to be a member of, unlike GLP who charges a fee, and point out all that you think is wrong with ATS.

Des

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I understand the first amendment thank you.

The point im miking is the Potus believes that the net should remain an open forum.
Why isn’t ats taking a stance for net neutrality. Deny Ignorance?
How can anyone deny ignorance when we aren’t allowed to speak freely?

I hit several threads that were all off site content, multiple posts worth.
the same excuse as to why my post was removed the other day.
Yet i was still in the creation process.
An off topic statement but still relevant to my above argument.

Des....its not about a fee its not about the place. I never said i had a problem with this Forum
I just wanted to make a point that Obama believes it should be Open Forum
and yet thats impossible because of the BUSINESS Loophole.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Aaahhh I see. You are still stinging from something that happened 2 days ago. Using Obama as backup to your argument may not seem to be the best choice, to some at least.

Des

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Its my attempt at gathering opinions, and wanting to understand others views.
Yeah im miffed about the other day, but that’s "yesterdays" news.

What is your take on this loophole?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

How can anyone deny ignorance when we aren’t allowed to speak freely?

You can speak freely, inside the T&C which YOU agreed to upon registering. May I suggest next time you use the Complaints function if you have a beef. It would save us all the energy of debating what is already a know quantity. As this thread has only one purpose, discussing why your thread was removed, you should follow the direction of the staffer that removed it( you can repost it when the proper format is used), this thread is closed.

top topics

join