It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF granted DEA style property seizure powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Attorney General Eric Holder has granted the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) authority, for a one-year trial period, to seize and administratively forfeit property allegedly involved in controlled substance offenses pursuant to United States Code Title 21 › Chapter 13 › Subchapter I › Part E › § 881.AFFR Blog

Key word is allegedly. The DEA has been using this code to take whatever it wants whenever it wants, especially cash, on nothing more than they believe it might have been somehow involved in a drug related offense.

Abused powers get expanded. For your own good.

Federal Register

This rule amends the regulations in 28 CFR part 0 to authorize the Director of ATF to exercise, for a period of one year from the effective date of this final rule, the authority to seize, forfeit, and remit or mitigate the forfeiture of property in accordance with 21 U.S.C. 881.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

This rule is effective February 25, 2013.

From the Op Source.

Therefore and seizure or forced remittance of property is "illegal" still.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
How bizarre,Febuary 2013 it starts hey?
Why then?
Maybe they planto take the guns next year? suddenly every raid they pull they may start seizing guns as property seizures....
The laws are enacted to be used, and BATF is not above this kind of crap.....
Holder and co need to be impreached.....

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

This sort of theft has been a SOP for local police forces for a long time. I used to work with convicted small-time dealers. The cops do a drug bust and there is all of that "free" money just laying there on the table and it really belongs to nobody legitimatelly so portions of it disappears before it goes into the evidence bag. Undoubted, seen as a bonus to the SWAT teams that even their superiors may not disagree with.

Perhaps before long if you get a traffic ticket the ATF will raid your house to take your guns, ammo. etc. After all, getting a traffic ticket can point you out as a sociopathically inclined individual.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I guess the world doesnt end this year then.

Allegedly, hmm? Sounds like they wanna take the guns to me too. You guys know about form 4473 right? Where you have to put down all sorts of personal info to buy a gun at a dealer, and then the dealer calls it in. But they dont tell them serial numbers or anything, just long gun or handgun.... They keep this form on file at the dealer, it only ever goes to the atf if the dealer shuts down. Or if the atf requests it for a criminal investigation......

And that form is only for dealers, and dealers like to rip people off when they buy used guns. So most used guns are sold private party, no paperwork.

So, lets say i buy a gun, and sell it, that guy sells it, and someone steals it from this guy and kills someone and the atf gets ahold of the gun but not the murderer...
Then you get a call from the atf in about 3 months. Yup, takes that long.

So what if they decide to just raid people at 2am instead of being civil about it like they do now? And then take all your guns? A couple of my guns, especially bb guns, have been used in a "crime". Its illegal to discharge a damn sling shot in city limits lol

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I've read some crazy reports over the years where people pulled over for traffic violations would have their cars confiscated because they were driving through a "known drug zone" or people's life savings confiscated because they had a dollar bill with coc aine residue on it all to simply disappear and never be returned.

Now all that power is being extended to another out of control federal agency with a penchant for burning children alive and arming gangsters and cartels.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It's always fishy when bills are inacted to take effect in the future. If they are a good or great idea, it would be pretty immediate. I also think that there's a possiblility that a current administration wants to encourage negative feedback on a future administration by pulling these types of "future" bills. Most people won't see that the prior administration owns it, they will look at the party in power at the time the bill takes effect and place the blame accordingly. Addressing the issue at hand, one, by one, by one of our rights are being passed off and out. This is seriously a last straw. Why do you think Holder is doing this???? The implications are huge. Take a toke and lose your abode, plant a seed and lose your deed, have a still???? You're going up the hill. Too many guns??? You better run!

YEAAehhhhh big government.....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Why is holder still the attorney general anyway? What the hell?

new topics

top topics

join