learn more

There goes the summer: Hundreds see bizarre weather phenomenon over Somerset

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
There goes the summer: Hundreds see bizarre weather phenomenon over Somerset

Funnel clouds, twisters and even tornado's - where the formation touches the ground - swept through the country from the south.

Hundreds of residents spotted this particular formation as it moved up the Severn Estuary and headed inland at Clevedon, Somerset, on Wednesday.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Seems we too are having crazy weather here in the Uk and this is just up the road from us in Cornwall.
Crazy Times, we are not used to this type of weather.

What is going on??
edit on 30-8-2012 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Im no weather expert so I cannot comment on what's happening. I can say this though, if there is instability in a system, any system, the effects are not gradual in nature.

If things start happening with the weather system it will happen verry fast. And once that happens it will be too late to do anything about it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I live on Öland, a small island on the south-east coast of Sweden. We saw a tromb or twister, I dont know what it´s called but, like that one in the photo you posted. It was like a week ago, and we NEVER see that kinda of weatherphenomena here. I promise you it´s really weird.

Here is the article, it was even a DOUBLE tromb.

www.expressen.se...
edit on 30-8-2012 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Been living in Hampshire, England over 25 years and have never seen the weather we have been getting here.

Major drought through the spring and at the start of the year! Then summer no sunshine this year, Unbelievable amounts of rain in short periods of time!

None of my home grown crops are producing any fruit or veg this year my tomatoes are tragic.

It's been the same for commercial farmers as well, if it doesn't change back to a more normal cycle next year it's gona really hit bad.

Question is will it go back to a more normal cycle next year or are we seeing a change for the long haul, if it's the latter we are in big big trouble.

edit on 30-8-2012 by Frankel because: Bahrain

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Now it wouldn't be Britain without a complaint about the weather now would it?
as we love a good moan about the weather but that twister looks nasty

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

ha .. indeed ... i actually came onto ats now, wondering if anyone is having a grunt about the recent dour weather
I wasnt overly surprised ...

eta - lovely in central scotland here today for a change ... has that kinda crisp autumn edge in the air .. i love it .. had a lightning storm yesterday
edit on 30-8-2012 by Segenam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankel
Been living in Hampshire, England over 25 years and have never seen the weather we have been getting here.

Major drought through the spring and at the start of the year! Then summer no sunshine this year, Unbelievable amounts of rain in short periods of time!

None of my home grown crops are producing any fruit or veg this year my tomatoes are tragic.

It's been the same for commercial farmers as well, if it doesn't change back to a more normal cycle next year it's gona really hit bad.

Question is will it go back to a more normal cycle next year or are we seeing a change for the long haul, if it's the latter we are in big big trouble.

edit on 30-8-2012 by Frankel because: Bahrain

Absolutely agree! Food storage here we come! My strawberries flowered twice last year resulting in just one very meagre bowl of strawberries this year...and that's from 35 plants! My outdoor moneymaker tomato is doing far, far better than my greenhouse grown ones (various varieties). Loads of green toms...just waiting.
As to the weather...not a lot we can do about it...I just prep myself for all 4 seasons to occur in a 24 hour period now....ho hum..
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Funnel clouds are incredibly common throughout the UK. They are rare when they become fully formed tornadoes.....

Can't help thinking though that the incredible low with arctic sea ice means we will have the most brass monkeys winter we have had for ages.........and i can't wait!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

It's kind of a cute little funnel cloud you guys are precious come over to the Midwest and we'll show you some twisters.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Do we need to bring our own cows too or can you supply those also?

ETA: From the movie Twister, just in case.
edit on 30/8/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It appears this type of weather is not as uncommon in your areas as you think

en.wikipedia.org...:Globdisttornado.jpg

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Funnel clouds are incredibly common throughout the UK. They are rare when they become fully formed tornadoes.....

Can't help thinking though that the incredible low with arctic sea ice means we will have the most brass monkeys winter we have had for ages.........and i can't wait!

Although I'm not looking forward to the heating bills, I'm inclined to agree with you.

It was only a baby funnel, we've had a few go on to cause a bit of damage over the past ten years. Didn't one take the tiles off Patrick Moores house in the past?. In other news though, we had so much rain here yesterday I pondered whether it was too late to make an ark.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Actually I live on a dairy farm that was destroyed by a tornado before I was born. It was leveled enough that we moved to a new location about a quarter mile down the road. Although most all the buildings were destroyed the livestock was largely left intact though of course I am sure it does happen. The real problem according to my dad was all the garbage spread everywhere that jammed equipment and flattened tires for years.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Every year there are reports of these, and people are running around panicking because they are "rare", yet they happen yearly. I can remember crazy weather when I was a kid in the 90's, its just the way it is. Everyone is more than likely more anxious this year with the 2012 hysteria running rampant.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
That is just a water spout. I dont think they are dangerous like tornadoes mainly becuase i never heard of any incidents where they cause harm. They are common though funny thing is i never heard of anyone going through them. I wonder why that is. I guess if they were dangerous we would hear about them from boaters....but why havent we heard about boaters going through them?

images

ETA: Whoops they are dangerous like tornadoes. WOW...i saw three of them lined up in a row a few years ago.

Link
edit on 30-8-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Another 7 different ones here in and around bristol, It says there from thursday the 30th but im pretty sure they happened yesterday as I was working at avomouth docks yesterday and today, yesterday I have never seen it rain so hard in all my life, today has been fairly warm and sunny.

Slideshow of the 7 different ones (not sure why it says bbc leeds in the url?)

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I hate that crap. That is like the californians saying they don't get up for anything under a 5.5.

Meanwhile it is two completely different types of quakes.

If it is a freaky event for an area, it is a freaky event for people.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Tornados and waterspouts are not that rare, just that not everyone sees them. We've had waterspouts a few times on our coastline, and right where I live, I've seen nothing

The lack of sunshine has been real for us though for near on ten years now, that is odd. We also have had days of the newly named 'Undulatus asperatus' a very thin wispy cloud formation, that can form from horizon to horizon, Weird and beautiful, it's like being underwater looking up at them.

This year it has been both very bad and very good in small doses, but at least there have been some very clear days, maybe this year the weather in adjustment after the 2010 oilspill in the GOM which damaged the gulf stream, and gave us a horrendous winter.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

Absolutely agree! Food storage here we come! My strawberries flowered twice last year resulting in just one very meagre bowl of strawberries this year...and that's from 35 plants! My outdoor moneymaker tomato is doing far, far better than my greenhouse grown ones (various varieties). Loads of green toms...just waiting.
As to the weather...not a lot we can do about it...I just prep myself for all 4 seasons to occur in a 24 hour period now....ho hum..
Rainbows
Jane

Ditto re. the green toms and it seems like everyone I know has been having the same problem with their fruit and veg crops this year. However, I did once hear someone from South America comment on how strange it was that we only eat tomatoes here when they are red as they use them both red and green there - so I've been looking around for green tomato recipes and looks like I may be trying some out this year. There's quite a few on here:
green tomato recipes

Sorry to take the thread off topic but I think we're gonna be facing food shortages pretty soon and we'll need to make the most of what we have.

Re the twister - we had one here a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's just me or what but it seems to me as though the weather over the past couple of years or so has just been much more windier than I remember it being before and we seem to be getting more and more of this previously unusual type of phenomena. Dunno, I'm in two minds as to whether I just got more sensitive to it being windy - makes me feel on edge all the time.

peace
J

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by skjalddis

Originally posted by angelchemuel

Rainbows
Jane

Ditto re. the green toms and it seems like everyone I know has been having the same problem with their fruit and veg crops this year. However, I did once hear someone from South America comment on how strange it was that we only eat tomatoes here when they are red as they use them both red and green there - so I've been looking around for green tomato recipes and looks like I may be trying some out this year. There's quite a few on here:
green tomato recipes

Sorry to take the thread off topic but I think we're gonna be facing food shortages pretty soon and we'll need to make the most of what we have.

Re the twister - we had one here a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's just me or what but it seems to me as though the weather over the past couple of years or so has just been much more windier than I remember it being before and we seem to be getting more and more of this previously unusual type of phenomena. Dunno, I'm in two minds as to whether I just got more sensitive to it being windy - makes me feel on edge all the time.

peace
J

Hehe...the film Fried Green Tomatoes! Ah well, I am going to harvest some of those tomato seeds this year, and seeing as you guys think we are going to have a hard winter, I might as well have a go at growing some toms indoors and get the most out of my heating!

I have read somewhere that the UK has quite a high rate, one of the highest of these type of tornados. Where is our member McLeod who I am sure could give us some more info.
I am also pretty certain we are in for a mildish winter again. Wait and see how heavily laden the trees and hedgerows get with berries...nature is always ahead of us mere mortals.

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join