It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan's RNC Speech "Stunning for its Dishonesty," "Full of "Brazen Lies"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

And I could easily say that Paul Ryan is a closet muslim...but we each must reconcile what we say with our "honest" selves.

Otherwise...you could say that, but there is a reason you don't.

Come on! You're not so naive to overlook the role that Harry Reid played in the budget talks are you? Do I need to post a fist full of those articles as well?

Truth is non-partisan. Stop fretting...you can still support Romney/Ryan and the GOP and acknowledge lies when you see them. To do otherwise is to sacrifice your self-respect to a political party...and no political party is worth that, left or right.

So far, I'm not seeing them as lies, just a twisting of words.

Does anyone have a transcript of the speech?

So far I've noticed that the original post is talking about Ryan's claim that Obama "raided" Medicare, which is what Obama did.

Yes, I know that Ryan has tried to cut Medicare, but I think his point is that Obama hasn't tried to cut it, he's only transferred the money over to help pay for Obamacare with no debt cutting measure really in place.

Is there any more on what was really said and what he accused Obama of?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

There's a link to a Yahoo article with a transcript in my post earlier in the thread.
edit on 8/30/12 by thov420 because: spelling again

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Business Insider provides a decent breakdown with full quotes...
www.businessinsider.com...

Otherwise if you need multiple sources, google ryan speech and you will find Fox News, Fact-Check, Politico and a long list of other folks explaining the lies.
edit on 30-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thov420

Unfortunately, the transcript only makes it sound like Ryan believes that Obama raiding Medicare to fund Obamacare is a threat to the Medicare program. I'm still not sure what he means by this. I wish he had elaborated more on what kind of threat or how big of threat they thought it was going to be.

The comments could have gone either way in meaning in the way it was presented. I'll acknowledge that.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

My new theory is that they thought Romney would be a good candidate in the beginning and when he started to fail, they thought Paul Ryan would be their "game changer" and maybe even a good candidate for the coming years...

My theory is they never had any intention of winning this time - who wants this country right now?

They can't fix the economy - they can't fix anything

They'll let it continue on under Obama so the GOP can pin everything on him and the Democrats - they've got more to gain working against the Dems than they do working for anything or trying to do something productive - they really don't seem to be in problem-solving-mode right now

They're in anti-mode - and Romney is just the Anti-candidate

They're willing to let things tank it seems - so this is the only explanation that makes any sense to me

They'll try and claim the recovering economy in 2016

I mean - seriously - Romney/Ryan? Really?

Just enough to put on a good show - not enough to win

edit on 8/30/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: make sense out of nonsense

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I honestly think the GOP does not want to win the presidency.

The GOP knows it can't win this year. I'm thinking that in 2016 - when Hillary runs - they won't win that year either. And if she gets re-elected, it'll be 2020 before the republicans have a real shot at the White House again. It's going to be a long drought for them.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The raiding medicare BS is astounding to me. Guess what? it is all our tax money! It's all about the allocation of it...and this is where the pull the sleight of hand and play the old "1 for you and 2 for me" game.

There is no "robbing medicare"...it's a bullsh!t play of words that they hope the nimords out there will stop and forget it is actually one gigantic pool of "our" money and they are playing games with how they divide it up and "consume it".

Big Pharm and hospitals rape the system with prices and rates...not a secret. Wanna lower healthcare costs? How about some fraud investigation into the prices of these things and their billing practices.

I do not like Obamacare...I am strongly against being told how to spend my money. I do not agree with propping up an industry through forced participation which requires me to buy their product...which is backed my security investments...which means it is money rolling into Wall Street....Big Surprise huh?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Oh gee, I'd never expect Salon.com to be a biased report.
And just a hint, it's not the first time Ryan claimed Obamacare raids Medicare to pay for it's programs.
edit on 30-8-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Even Fox is calling out Ryan on his lies during the speech.

I honestly think the GOP does not want to win the presidency. They are doing everything they can to put people off. I think they want Obama to get a second term. Why - I'm not sure, unless they think the economic problems can't be fixed, and they want to be able to keep blaming Obama for it, instead of having to take the blame themselves.

exactly kaylaluv - it's the only conclusion I could come to - they can't be serious

If they really wanted it seems like they would have tried harder

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If the GOP actually had ideas that took the best interests of the people in mind, they could step up and shout it to the people, and the people would listen. Unfortunately, the GOP has clamped its jaws on greed and it requires lies to get them what they want.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Oh gee, I'd never expect Salon.com to be a biased report.
And just a hint, it's not the first time Ryan claimed Obamacare raids Medicare to pay for it's programs.
edit on 30-8-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Even Fox is calling out Ryan on his lies during the speech.

I honestly think the GOP does not want to win the presidency. They are doing everything they can to put people off. I think they want Obama to get a second term. Why - I'm not sure, unless they think the economic problems can't be fixed, and they want to be able to keep blaming Obama for it, instead of having to take the blame themselves.

Any other time you and others here would be blasting Fox for being too biased. Remember it's owned by Rupert Murdoch and some Saudi guy.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Any other time you and others here would be blasting Fox for being too biased. Remember it's owned by Rupert Murdoch and some Saudi guy.

I believe that's why she said: even Fox

:-)

when even the biased are calling him on his crap - something must be up

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have a Medicare question for everyone.

I already know that Presidents have been asked (and required by law) to make concessions to the Medicare program when the Medicare trustees give the President a "funding warning", but what exactly does this last sentence mean?

General fund revenue as a share of total Medicare spending

This measure, established under the Medicare Modernization Act (MMA), examines Medicare spending in the context of the federal budget. Each year, MMA requires the Medicare trustees to make a determination about whether general fund revenue is projected to exceed 45 percent of total program spending within a seven-year period. If the Medicare trustees make this determination in two consecutive years, a “funding warning” is issued. In response, the president must submit cost-saving legislation to Congress, which must consider this legislation on an expedited basis. In 2009, for the fourth consecutive year, the Medicare trustees determined that general fund revenue would exceed the threshold.

However, in January 2009, the House passed a resolution to suspend congressional consideration of any legislation related to a Medicare funding warning.

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
blog.heritage.org...

The rhetorical Medicare wars have heated up this week, after President Obama declared in his Saturday radio address that his proposed reforms “won’t touch your guaranteed Medicare benefits. Not by a single dime.”

This is incorrect. Obamacare cuts $716 billion from Medicare over the next 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), and uses these “savings” from Medicare to fund other entitlement expansions mandated by Obamacare

I'll believe information from the Heritage Foundation and the CBO over any # Huffo Post spins. Did you know Arianna Huffington and BHO are texting buddies?

sad eyed lady

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

The money Obama cut from Medicare, he took from the providers and drug companies, NOT the subscribers. The GOP is making it sound like he stole the money from the Medicare recipients.

THE FACTS: Ryan's claim ignores the fact that Ryan himself incorporated the same cuts into budgets he steered through the House in the past two years as chairman of its Budget Committee, using the money for deficit reduction. And the cuts do not affect Medicare recipients directly, but rather reduce payments to hospitals, health insurance plans and other service providers.

Christian Science Monitor

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Silly Liberals - your fear is showing.

I think you should merge this thread with one highlighting Obama's accomplishments in office - oh wait there are none.

You worry about your Veep and we'll worry about ours....and we'll see who asks for the Tum, Tum, Tum, Tummmms first.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by thov420

Unfortunately, the transcript only makes it sound like Ryan believes that Obama raiding Medicare to fund Obamacare is a threat to the Medicare program. I'm still not sure what he means by this. I wish he had elaborated more on what kind of threat or how big of threat they thought it was going to be.

The comments could have gone either way in meaning in the way it was presented. I'll acknowledge that.

I think I just found the answer to my own question regarding Ryan's concerns about the threat to the Medicare program.

Here's a copy of the letter he sent to Obama on March 1, 2012 regarding Obama ignoring the Medicare trustee's "funding warning" for his fourth straight year.

Mr. President, the Medicare Trustees, Medicare's Chief Actuary, and your own Administration have all sounded the alarm about Medicare's financial distress. Yet, the budget you submitted to Congress this month continues to punt on addressing the foremost fiscal threat to seniors, physicians, and the national balance sheet. Not only does this violate the statutory obligations laid out under current law, but it also threatens the sustainability of health care security for today's seniors and future Medicare beneficiaries.

budget.house.gov...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
the rnc is so blinded by fanaticism that ryan could claim obama killed kennedy and the freaks would applaud until their hands broke.

literally the american people have become the mob of ancient rome.

chanting U-S-A!, U-S-A!

you have to be weary about any candidates that never talk about themselves, what they'll do, besides "fix the economy", and whose whole campaign is about obama.

i saw ryan talk about obama wasting all his money on negative ads while standing in front of a republican campaign bus, painted black with a giant picture of obama on it pointing a finger and some stupid caption under it saying obama is destroying the economy.

their whole campaign is focused on obama and not their qualities, policies or agenda.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Originally posted by randomname
their whole campaign is focused on obama and not their qualities, policies or agenda.

That's because they KNOW a lot of people hate Obama. They don't KNOW what their own policies or agenda are yet. Number one: Get rid of Obama. That's all they're going on. Then, the millionaires and billionaires who got them elected will TELL them what their policies and agenda are.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here's another perspective... Fact checking the fact checkers on Paul Ryan's speech.

I'm no Romney fan, and I think Paul Ryan is nothing more than a war loving Neo-Con, but I also like to look at all sides.

Fact Checking the Fact Checkers

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Here's a copy of the letter he sent to Obama on March 1, 2012 regarding Obama ignoring the Medicare trustee's "funding warning" for his fourth straight year.

Mr. President, the Medicare Trustees, Medicare's Chief Actuary, and your own Administration have all sounded the alarm about Medicare's financial distress. Yet, the budget you submitted to Congress this month continues to punt on addressing the foremost fiscal threat to seniors, physicians, and the national balance sheet. Not only does this violate the statutory obligations laid out under current law, but it also threatens the sustainability of health care security for today's seniors and future Medicare beneficiaries.

budget.house.gov...

Please don't take offense...but are you are trying to "fact check" a claim that Ryan made about Medicare...by citing another claim that Ryan made about Medicare??

thechart.blogs.cnn.com...

Politifact
www.politifact.com...

Fact-Check.org
factcheck.org...

Business Insider
www.businessinsider.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join