It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Party Yacht "Cracker Bay" Flies Cayman Islands Flag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

People detest the wealthy because they have done what they won't, that's work your arse off, take risks and be content to work 100 hours a week until you make enough money that your money now works for you.

Or they're born wealthy, with a silver spoon in their mouth. Romney was a millionaire the day he was born. But I doubt many resent him for being wealthy, they resent how he has abused the system to make himself wealthier at the expense of others, and how being a tax-dodger undermines the American system. I know plenty of people who work their 'arse' off and can barely scrape by, thanks to a system skewed by lobbyists and big money influences over government to keep most people at the bottom. We want the Big Banks out of government, not running it. Romney only represents the worst aspects of crony capitalism, that he flaunts on this Cayman Islands yacht with his tycoon benefactors. We all know why they are bestowing upon him all this largesse for his run for office - they expect to be kept in power and continue their stranglehold over democracy.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by SeesFar

I could call the RNC convention the Romeny convention, the implication is still the same, Romney is the titular head of the event being held there. The yacht is hosting a party for Romney and his exclusive set of top donors. Thus it is a "Romney party yacht". The fact he would utilize such a yacht brazenly flying a Cayman Islands flag, knowing his issues of offshore bank accounts and tax sheltering there, shows how out of touch with the average American he is.

Accurately define 'titular head.'

Again, Romney was the honoree of the event being HOSTED by the OWNER the yacht.

Your claim of the RNC being called the Romney convention is every bit as irrelevant as claiming the DNC could be called the Obama convention.

Romney was not using "a yacht brazenly flying a Cayman Islands flag;" he attended an event hosted aboard that boat by the person who owns the boat. According to ABC, Romney neither owns the boat nor hosted the party.

Name a dozen ... no, just half a dozen ... politicians who are in touch with the average American.

And this is the last I will say to you about the intentionally misleading title of ABC's article and the title that ATS regs indicate you had to use for your thread. I respect that you are firm in your position.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And the hinted at but unspoken point is that Romney is some insulated, tax dodging millionaire while Obama is just a hard working, middle class, tax paying citizen?

LMFAO

Most of these people live like royalty and if they are not given cash and expensive assets outright they are given prices for buying them that amount to pennies on the dollar, the kinds of deals you will never, ever get in your life. That includes Romney AND Obama. (I don't see ABC asking about his Chicago mansion he paid almost nothing for).

Keep electing American royalty and you'll continue to be treated as serfs. It's that simple.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm stating my opinion on a message board.

So when you state your opinion that politicians have a moral obligation to not send their $$ overseas in order to hide from taxes .. it's just you stating your opinion. But when the right states their opinion that it is immoral for people to have an abortion .. then they are pushing their morals on others. Okay ... got it.

Why do people always try to go after me personally in these threads?

.. says the person who has spent the last four years tossing out thiny veiled accusations that people here were 'racist' because they didn't like Obama or his policies.

Whatever
As I said ... democrats and republicans both do it.
It's legal. But it is sucky ...

edit on 8/30/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed sentence

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

No requirement to pay more in taxes than you need to?

Well, if you live in America, you either pay taxes or GTFO!

I'm tired of people willingly ceding their rights, their privileges and their lives to these greedy scumbags and the part that bothers me the most? The people who defend this scum!
edit on 30-8-2012 by VaterOrlaag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just another party,

celebrating the best politician money can buy!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Dear VaterOrlaag,

Obviously, I can't write clearly anymore. I'm sorry for misleading you.

My position is, roughly, that everybody, rich or poor, must pay the taxes that our lawmakers have decided they must pay. If they don't, instead of GTFO, I want them to GTF in jail. If someone follows the law and pays what the law requires, I see no problem. If people are paying less than we think they should, change the laws to make them pay more.

I'm tired of people willingly ceding their rights, their privileges and their lives to these greedy scumbags
I quite agree, and people shouldn't. Of course, "scumbags" aren't limited to those greedy for money, some are greedy for power, and some want to force everyone to follow an ideology or religion. The threat comes from many sides, we can't focus on just the rich.

and the part that bothers me the most? The people who defend this scum!
Well, I don't know precisely what you're referring to, but scumbags are human and there's usually something to be said for any human. That's why we have defense lawyers.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the lyrics to that song were idiotic. Seriously that song was one of the most annoying songs of that year. Thanks for bringing it up. Now I have her shrill screechy whiny voice stuck in my head. thanks a lot!!!! Now to go shoot myself and put myself out of this alanis misery.

Back to the thread topic. I say even though it's legal I still say it's immoral when combined with all the other ways Romney has screwed the average american with his shady companies, shady business tactics and now he's got the nerve to run for the US president while bragging to americans that not even he supports the system and will try to shirk around his fiduciary responsibilities. I say hen you are running for president, being a good roll model and not finding every way possible to screw the taxpayers by not contributing your fair share of the burden is a fiduciary violation.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yay let's trade a President who during crisis disappears to play golf for a president who will disappear to party on his Yacht (a vessel to which does not even fly an American flag!!)...

Wtf America..

Not to mention the fact the guy has a Yacht in the first place.. Grew up filthy stinkin rich and probably never worked a single minute of manual labor..

That's a representative to the people if I ever saw one!

The guy is a wolf in sheep's clothing IMHO.. He is charismatic and nice, but in the end he thinks of the middle and lower class as a horde of peasantry..
edit on 30-8-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
They should call the gulf cracker bay for the remainder of the RNC

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
W0w getting real desperate n0w.

Its a b0at, n0t even R0mneys b0at. He didn't put the flag up.

0bama had a huge party at the white h0use with all his t0p
hollywood d0nors.

This is h0w the politicians thank their d0n0rs.

This is news?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

The law requires you to pay nothing for money you have in other countries.
Why do you think I have a bank account in the UK? And the farthest I have ever left this country was 4 hours in Canada (I was 6 I had no choice).

If you don't like the laws then shut up and change them.

I think any company that outsources work to other countries should pay %50 on their profit, however if they bring jobs back to the US they should get a %50 tax cut.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
If someone told any American that they could avoid all vehicle and gas taxes if they registered their car in Missouri, wouldn't they?

It's not illegal, it's not even unethical because there is no moral requirement to pay more in taxes than you are required to.

So is the problem that it "looks bad?" Is the objection that Romney has found a way to keep money for himself instead of giving it to the government? I can see how that would be an easy call.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the motives, but this seems like an attemt to stir up envy or jealously. Please correct me if needed.

Yes and certain states have no state income tax(Texas I think forone) sodak?
They are no less American citizens than people living in states with high state income tax. You guys are really reaching here.

Plenty of U.S. cargo ships are registered in "Liberia" for favorable regulatory purposes.Screw big taxing govt

Face it "Dem-wits" Mr.Romney is truly a sucessful decent family man.Who speaks of optimism not apologizing for America to exist.You can continue to self flagellate for the so called "sins" of America all you want outside the oval...

edit on 30-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I'm glad he has a yacht. Good for him!. Nobody ever told you folks: We cheer"Success" in America.Your "participation trophies" aren't worth the chinese plastic they are made of.Leave 'em behind in your mom's basement when you finally move out.

Gawd you sound like spoiled children...( He has a yacht!) (Well Obama went to Harvard.!!!!!!!!!)a real "Man of the people"?..

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Once again I can only point out that regardless of whom wins, the entourage around a democratic or republican president is essentially the same. The media is just giving the public a puppet to hate, while the puppeteers keep staying in the shadows.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnukeem
W0w getting real desperate n0w.

Its a b0at, n0t even R0mneys b0at. He didn't put the flag up.

0bama had a huge party at the white h0use with all his t0p
hollywood d0nors.

This is h0w the politicians thank their d0n0rs.

This is news?

The White House is still completely on US property and owned by the US, isn't it?
Love watching Republicans applaud rich people getting out of contributing to the country they supposedly love so much and is the reason this rich person is so rich. How patriotic.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

It actually is illegal to keep a car registered in another state to avoid the taxes.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Dear GogoVicMorrow,

Thank you very much.
That struck me as one of the best, if not the best, one line posts I've seen.

You are absolutely right, I can't argue with it at all. Your comment was a splash of cold water thrown in the face of my clumsy analogy. It seems funny in a George Burns and Gracie Allen sort of way.

For the benefit of the casual outsider, my point was that people will do just about anything to take advantage of a loophole allowing them to pay less tax. It may even be a second American pastime.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

It may have come off a little dead pan, really though your post just didn't seem like an analogy. It just seemed like something untrue was being touted as true. I might have missed some kind of context, but it mostly just seems like you didn't know. I was just helping out. And as smartass as this post sounds, i'm not being a smartass seriously.

Anyway.. it isn't something someone campaigning for the presidency should be doing. Romney all but leads by example. His friends won't pay taxes, but we will be expected to pay more. In all honesty, the guy is either foolish or completely insulting. I wish I had a giant gang of idiot Americans to carry me on their shoulders to a giant payday while I take their money and insult their (lack of) intelligence.

I just can't see an educated person supporting either Mitt or Obama
edit on 31-8-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Dear GogoVicMorrow,

I'm beginning to really like you. (Said honestly.) You're right, it's not true that you can dodge taxes by going to Missouri. It was clumsy and born of the spur of the moment. I couldn't come up with the example I really wanted, so I just made one up.

It seems we have two points of view here which aren't mutually exclusive. Mine is that it is normal, and considered clever by most, to pay the smallest amount of taxes required by law. Yours seems to be "That's all very well, but if you want to be a role model, you have to pay more than you're required to."

How should we apply this to Romey? There's not much he can do about his previous tax payments, should we say that those things in the past, when he wasn't trying to be a role model, should count against him? How do we deal with the tens of millions of dollars he has donated to charity? Does it only count if he donates (donates, because he doesn't owe it) to the government?

It almost seems as though you're not really upset with Romney, but rather the tax code with it's multiple loopholes that allows for this. Here, I am in agreement with you. Let's rewrite the tax code and put a bunch of tax lawyers out of work and into some useful profession.

With respect,
Charlea1952

P.s.

I just can't see an educated person supporting either Mitt or Obama
One of them is going to be the president, and their positions aren't identical, so I suppose a case could be made out for voting for one or the other. - C -

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join