It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Party Yacht "Cracker Bay" Flies Cayman Islands Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton

The sad part is that most of the people in the U S don't seem to see it that way.

Somehow they think a "real American businessman" should do everything that is "legal" to make and keep as much money as possible. It doesn't seem to matter how it appears.

It is actually consistent. It is the now reliable irony that the party that speaks the loudest about patriotism, cares the least about it...the folks that pose as scholars on the American Revolution do not know who Paul Revere is..those that preach passionately about "Christian values" from the podium...are most often the same people that see those values as weakness.

The point is that it is not inconsistent. Outrage of the magnitude we have seen from the far right requires a measure of self doubt and self loathing. They rage about others "values" because they doubt thier own...they rage about "patriotism" beneath the flag of another nation...they talk about "jesus" while deriding the poor...they rage about "cronyism" and "corruption" while gleefully destroying any barriers to that "cronyism" and "corruption"...

In short that self doubt, that voice of conscience that we all have has to be directed somewhere...many folks choose the hard path of self reflection and many choose instead to launch that doubt as rage at others.

It is all just many different flavors of the typical gay-bashing legislator who gets arrested at a gay bay or ends up tapping feet in an airport bathroom.

Yes...they had a fundraiser for United States Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney beneatht he flag of a foriegn country...but the retort will not be questions or reflection, it will be...President Obama was born in Kenya..

Those who support Romney do not care about him being a tax cheat...they are tax cheats themselves, or hope to be some day.

They do not care if he lies...they lie...to them it is acceptable, even neccessary. The truth is a tool that is only useful if it is to your advantage, if not a lie will work too.

Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Welfare, Safety Nets?? As long as it doesn't hurt THEM...OK. Ann Rand is thier idealogical Jesus. Compassion? Honesty? They have no dollar value...and peoples worth = dollars.

Whatever he says or does between now and November...it's OK to his supporters...because they ALREADY know who he is. He is either THEM or who they WISH to be.

edit on 30-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

This is not to hide from US taxes. It is to save money on Island taxes.

How is have your money in a Caymen Island bank "not" hiding it from taxes?

If you have money in a bank, anywhere, you expect to be paid some interest by the bank. This is defind as "income" by the IRS.

If you do not pay taxes on your income, it is called "income tax evasion" by the IRS.

If there is a more clear way to state this point, could someone help me out?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm not referring to the boat, as it was pointed out earlier - it's not even his.

I'm talking about the other implications of tax sheltering that I've been reading about concerning Mitt Romney. If he is using shelters and taking advantage of the system, then I don't trust him to be the guy in the White House right now. I want a POTUS who's going to shore the hemorrhage of money up - not make sure that the bleeding continues. And a guy who's already in that game isn't likely to call it off.

~Heff

I dislike them both very much and won't vote for either, I will still write in Ron Paul.

I'm sorry I misread your post, However the OP is about the boat and that's what I wanted to focus on. This is COMMON practice from the average boat owner to mega yachts.

Trying to use a common boat flag to somehow make him look like a traitor on non American is just plane ridiculous. Like I said I don't like him at all but I had to jump in and let everyone know that this is VERY common and not just the rich do it.
edit on 30-8-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton

This is not to hide from US taxes. It is to save money on Island taxes.

How is have your money in a Caymen Island bank "not" hiding it from taxes?

If you have money in a bank, anywhere, you expect to be paid some interest by the bank. This is defind as "income" by the IRS.

If you do not pay taxes on your income, it is called "income tax evasion" by the IRS.

If there is a more clear way to state this point, could someone help me out?

Did you even look at the OP? This is about a boat and the flag it flies. Who cares if a guy can save money by flying another flag while his boat is docked there. You should read the title again.......

Romney Party Yacht "Cracker Bay" Flies Cayman Islands Flag

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

So, if he doesn't own the boat and is renting it, then that would mean he is renting it from the Cayman Islands to avoid the tax.

Otherwise wouldn't it make more since to rent an american vessel that flies the american flag? but you would have to pay american taxes on that now wouldn't you.

Maybe he borrowed it? which would mean all of his associates and friends who can afford such a thing, also seek to avoid taxes by doing there business in the caymans.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
his puppet masters where on board.

that is the only reason it was off calender and secret.

the powers that be, the elite of the elite, the illuminati, the nwo, his bosses.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

My humblest appoligies to the OP.

I thought by placing a quote from your response would be an indication as to the reasoning behind my statement.

Atleast this was my intentions.

Not to go off on some wild tangent, which is usually the actions of those who feel a need to change the subject rather than discuss an issue.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

All rich people with yachts register them either in the Cayman Islands or the Bahamas in order to avoid paying ridiculous US taxes on the yacht. I for one don't blame them, I would do it too. Go to FT. Lauderdale sometime and you will see many yachts all flying these flags.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I don't know who named the boat (sorry... "Yacht") but I do know Romney is doing everything he can these days to win the white working class vote. This should do it, eh?

What wrong with winning the white working class vote? You say that as if there is something inherently wrong with it. Obama makes ads that are targeted specifically to black people and is getting almost all their votes. why aren't you crying racist? I'm so tired of you self hating white racists.

Anyway, I'll take that flag over the Che Guvara flags that seem to be at many Obama campaign offices.
edit on 30-8-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
his puppet masters where on board.

that is the only reason it was off calender and secret.

the powers that be, the elite of the elite, the illuminati, the nwo, his bosses.

This from the people that parrot the establishment MSM/DNC talking points daily and support the current government. Its you and those you support who are puppets of the establishment. Not saying Romney isn't, but you are definitely being lead by strings.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
reply to post by SeesFar

So, if he doesn't own the boat and is renting it, then that would mean he is renting it from the Cayman Islands to avoid the tax.

Otherwise wouldn't it make more since to rent an american vessel that flies the american flag? but you would have to pay american taxes on that now wouldn't you.

Maybe he borrowed it? which would mean all of his associates and friends who can afford such a thing, also seek to avoid taxes by doing there business in the caymans.

Why do you assume so much (erroneously) when the information is right there in the article the OP provided? Romney neither rented nor borrowed the yacht. Everything you need to know is right there in the article as provided by the OP, including (bold and italics are mine):

The floating party, hosted by a Florida developer on his yacht "Cracker Bay," was one of a dozen exclusive events meant to nurture those who have raised more than $1 million for Romney's bid.

I would say that all the lavish parties hosted by the Obamas at the White House (at the taxpayers' expense) are also to "nurture" those who've raised money for and/or supported them, wouldn't you?

The title to the article is misleading. The conclusions drawn from the title and the OP are also misleading. Someone hosted a party for Romney on a boat, just as someone in Detroit hosted a $40,000 per person pizza party for Obama.

As I said, I don't care for either candidate ~ they are nothing but two sides of the same coin. Why do you decry the actions of one side and not the identical actions of the other side?

I would have preferred a more centered source but this is what I found and the source(s) check out: Obama takes Bain donations and has offshore investments

Also, from factcheck.org, Promises, Promises

You are contributing greatly to exactly what the politicians want the citizens to do - furthering division - in your case, as in the case of others, by choosing to wear blinders. Please take off the blinders and see the WHOLE picture. As a Country, as fellow citizens, we don't stand a chance unless and until we all remove the blinders and clearly see both sides of the WHOLE.

I believe one contributor to this thread made a comment along the lines of everyone registering their vehicles in Missouri, were it possible to do so, if it meant only having to register and pay taxes once. (My apology to that contributor if I got the general idea wrong). Nonetheless, it's a valid point. EVERYONE wants to save money ~ whether one is very, very poor or very, very rich. Do I agree with offshore banking and tax shelters and special tax breaks and credits for the wealthy? No, I most certainly do not. Do I believe in the "Earned Income Credit" whereby people are given taxpayers money on their tax returns for income they did NOT earn? No, I most certainly do not. But, at the end of the day, it boils down to the same thing: everyone is going to save money, take tax breaks, shelter their income, etc. and the wealthy are certainly no exception. In fact, the exception would be to find a wealthy person who does NOT take advantage of those things.

But, as long as U.S. citizens see the wealth and the affluence and assign a status of 'royalty' to those who simply have money, nothing is going to change. And, as long as people focus on the wrongdoings of one while ignoring the identical wrongdoings of another, nothing is going to change.

And, please, "American" is still capitalized ~ at least so far.
edit on 30-8-2012 by SeesFar because: typo; probably more of them; sorry

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
There's nothing misleading about the title. In fact it depicts it exactly as it appears - a party boat where Romney is meeting 50 of his $1 million-dollar+ donors, in a yacht from the Cayman Islands still flying that nations ensign.

Given the issue of Romney using the Cayman Islands and blocker corporations to shelter income from the US government, one would think he'd be a little more sensitive to appearances.

That might at least explain why this party was "off the books", and was only discovered when ABC news followed him.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Is John Kerry running for president?

Touchy Touchy
You don't like the fact that I exposed a few items showing that the dems are just as bad as the republicans when it comes to hiding money and assets from taxes? It's all part of the same discussion .... uber-rich people and the Cayman Islands .... Both republicans and democrats hiding so they get (legal) massive tax breaks.

There's nothing wrong with being wealthy. Paying your fair share is a moral obligation, if not a legal one.

Careful .... or we'll have to expose the fact that you are pushing your moral beliefs onto others .. that's something that the left continually claims the right does when it comes to pro-life issues.
careful careful!!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

I love how people do not read the article and ignore what you point out in the article they should of read.
Then the same type of people cry out "deny ignorance"

From what I'm seeing on ATS and other websites (including yahoo news comments) I really believe people are being paid to "discredit" anyone opposing Obama.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
There's nothing misleading about the title. In fact it depicts it exactly as it appears - a party boat where Romney is meeting 50 of his $1 million-dollar+ donors, in a yacht from the Cayman Islands still flying that nations ensign.

Given the issue of Romney using the Cayman Islands and blocker corporations to shelter income from the US government, one would think he'd be a little more sensitive to appearances.

That might at least explain why this party was "off the books", and was only discovered when ABC news followed him.

As far as I know, you followed ATS guidelines perfectly by titling your thread as the article is titled. The article and your thread are title "Romney Party Yacht "Cracker Bay" Flies Cayman Islands Flag." The clear implication is that the "Party Yacht" belongs to Romney; therefore, it is neither a 'fact,' as you claim, nor does it depict the situation 'exactly as it appears.' To claim otherwise is disingenuous, at best, and self-delusional, at worst.

The title does NOT say "GARY MORSE Yacht "Cracker Bay" Flies Cayman Islands Flag," which would be an ACCURATE statement.

The article also states that the event was "attended by no more than 50 people" and that the yacht "can seat 30 for dinner." So, you do not know if your statement of "meeting 50 of his $1 million-dollar+ donors" is true or not. We know only that NO MORE than 50 attended and that only 30 can be seated for a dinner.

Given that Obama receives a lot of campaign money from Bain, you might think he'd back off the commercials of lies he uses against Romney, too, and perhaps be a little more sensitive to appearances, as well? But, no. There's no reason for politicians to tell the truth when the overwhelming majority of U.S. citizens will not check for themselves to find the lies.

I believe Romney is just as dirty as any other politician; however, I do NOT believe that we, as citizens, need to feed misinformation OR disinformation to the public or to one another. It is up to the citizens of this Country to disseminate ACCURATE information; to find the truth and utilize public forums such as this one to share that truth.

Perhaps the event was "off the books," as you say, because the participants included members of Romney's family, as the article states?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Originally posted by PvtHudson
why aren't you crying racist?

Because I don't think pandering IS racist. Just because I say the word "white" or "black" or "latino" doesn't mean I am calling someone racist. Chill.

TAMPA, Fla. — Mitt Romney is heading into his nominating convention with his advisers convinced he needs a more combative footing against President Obama in order to appeal to white, working-class voters and to persuade them that he is the best answer to their economic frustrations.

Source
Romney and the White Working Class

I'm so tired of you self hating white racists.

Who's playing the race card again?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You don't like the fact that I exposed a few items showing that the dems are just as bad as the republicans when it comes to hiding money and assets from taxes? It's all part of the same discussion .... uber-rich people and the Cayman Islands .... Both republicans and democrats hiding so they get (legal) massive tax breaks.

My argument isn't for the Democratic party. You know I do not belong to either party. My position here is against the 2012 candidate, Mitt Romney. His political party is irrelevant.

Careful .... or we'll have to expose the fact that you are pushing your moral beliefs onto others ..

I'm stating my opinion on a message board.

Why do people always try to go after me personally in these threads? I find that curious.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

I could call the RNC convention the Romeny convention, the implication is still the same, Romney is the titular head of the event being held there. The yacht is hosting a party for Romney and his exclusive set of top donors. Thus it is a "Romney party yacht". The fact he would utilize such a yacht brazenly flying a Cayman Islands flag, knowing his issues of offshore bank accounts and tax sheltering there, shows how out of touch with the average American he is.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The ship is possibly a charter vessel. Might have to check that out. But it is listed on charterworld.

linky

A Summary of Motor Yacht CRACKER BAY

The spacious luxury yacht CRACKER BAY is a motor yacht. This 45 metre (147 foot) luxury yacht was crafted at Hakvoort Shipyard in 2002. CRACKER BAY used to be Campbell Bay. Superyacht CRACKER BAY is a stylish yacht that can accommodate up to 12 guests on board and has a total of 9 professional crew. Finished and launched in the year of 2002 her internal styling reflects the merit in the designing of Andrew Winch.

Must be nice to be able to rent a yacht to throw a private party. On a yacht registered in another country to avoid paying taxes on it.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I agree with your comments, lazy nar-do-wells that are jealous and envious that they can't achieve success because you are tooooo lazy to WORK for it. People detest the wealthy because they have done what they won't, that's work your arse off, take risks and be content to work 100 hours a week until you make enough money that your money now works for you.

For my european friends, this is why we left your countries to begin with, we do not accept a caste or royalty system here. Everyone and again everyone has the opportunity to make what they wish of their lives here in the USA regardless of your race or religion. Get over it,

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join