This week in Iran: UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in Tehran

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
UN chief Ban Ki-moon is given the green light to visit nuclear sites and while he's there he's also asking for the Iranian Supreme Leader to provide "concrete" to help calm tensions. I look forward to seeing a report from the UN chief, or at least a comment, about their nuclear program when his visit to Iran is over. Ban also asks for Iran's help by influencing a peaceful solution in Syria. The Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei told Ban that there's a peaceful plan that could be implemented but the problem is certain Gov'ts are encouraging certain groups to go to war with the Syrian Gov't. One condition is asked by the Iranian Supreme Leader...

Elsewhere in his remarks, the Leader commented on the situation in Syria, saying, “The Islamic Republic of Iran, according to its beliefs and religious teachings, is ready to make every effort to help resolve the Syrian crisis.”

“But the resolution of the Syrian crisis has one (reasonable) condition, which is the prevention of the shipment of weaponry to irresponsible groups in Syria,” he added.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in Tehran

www.mehrnews.com...

TEHRAN, Aug. 29 (MNA) – United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon arrived in Tehran on Wednesday to participate in the Non-Aligned Movement summit being hosted by Iran.

It is the first time that Ban is visiting Iran. He plans to hold meetings with senior Iranian officials and make a visit to Isfahan.Israel and the U.S. had put great pressure on Ban to cancel visit to Iran.

UN chief, NAM leaders’ arrival in Tehran in photos

www.mehrnews.com...

TEHRAN, Aug. 29 (MNA) – United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and top officials, including heads of state and government or vice presidents, are arriving in Tehran to participate in the 16th Non-Aligned Movement summit being hosted by Iran. The summit of NAM heads of state or government starts on Thursday and ends on Friday.

Non-Aligned Movement | Wikipedia

The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is a group of states considering themselves not aligned formally with or against any major power bloc. As of 2012, the movement has 120 members and 17 observer countries.[1]

Iran says Ban Ki-moon can visit nuclear sites

www.mehrnews.com...

TEHRAN, Aug. 29 (MNA) – Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi announced on Wednesday that if United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon wishes he can visit Iran’s nuclear facilities, saying President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has given the permission for such a visit.

Ban arrived in Tehran on Wednesday to participate in the Non-Aligned Movement summit.

Salehi said the guests at the NAM summit have the choice to visit the cities of Isfahan, Tabriz, Shiraz or industrial centers like Assalouyeh or auto manufacturing companies, and scientific or research centers like the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran.

“Mr. Ban Ki-moon also can visit nuclear facilities if he wishes. The president has given the permission for his visit,” Salehi told reporters on the sidelines of the NAM foreign ministerial meeting.

UN should not pull punches on total nuclear disarmament: Leader

www.mehrnews.com...

TEHRAN, Aug. 29 (MNA) - Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that the United Nations should not pull punches on the issue of total nuclear disarmament.

“Do not show leniency toward any power in regard to the issue of nuclear disarmament and properly use the opportunity that has been provided to you,” the Leader said in a meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon who came to Iran to participate in the Non-Aligned Movement summit.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran insists on (its) stance (regarding the establishment of) a Middle East free of nuclear weapons, and the United Nations should make serious efforts to allay the current concerns about nuclear weapons,” the Leader added.

The Leader also said, “Unfortunately, the (structure) of the United Nations is flawed, and the most tyrannical powers in the world, which possess nuclear weapons and have a record of using them, have dominated the United Nations.”

“The Americans are fully aware that Iran is not seeking nuclear weapons and are only seeking pretexts,” he stated. (see link for full article)

NAM summit opens under sharper UN nuclear scrutiny

www.hindustantimes.com...

Iran on Thursday will lift the curtain on a summit of non-aligned states it presented as a diplomatic triumph, but the event threatened being upstaged by intensified UN scrutiny of its nuclear programme.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon, in Tehran, spent the eve of the summit telling Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad they needed to provide "concrete" steps to ease the showdown over their country's disputed atomic activities.

Meanwhile, the International Atomic Energy Agency has unveiled the creation of a special Iran "task force" to scrutinise Tehran's nuclear programme and its compliance with UN resolutions -- including those demanding a suspension of uranium enrichment.

Additionally, the latest IAEA report on Iran's nuclear progress was expected to be released within days -- possibly even in the middle of the Tehran summit, according to some sources at the IAEA headquarters in Vienna.

The report is said to highlight expanded enrichment in Iran and suspicions concerning an off-limits military base in Parchin, outside Tehran, where warhead design experiments might have taken place.

Iran, which insists its nuclear programme is exclusively peaceful, was focused on presenting the summit of the 120-member Non-Aligned Movement in Tehran as proof that Western attempts to isolate it had been in vain.

And that's what happened this week in Iran.

Related articles,

'Mossad, CIA agree Iran has yet to decide to build nuclear weapon' | Haaretz

IDF chief to Haaretz: I do not believe Iran will decide to develop nuclear weapons | Haaretz

Israel ex-security chief says leadership 'misleading public' on Iran | BBC

Netanyahu ‘determined to attack Iran’ before US elections, claims Israel’s Channel 10 | The Times Of Israel

Muppet urges Israelis to prepare in case of war | The Jerusalem Post
edit on 30-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This is great. I'm not really sure if this visit will do any good at all. Not that I pretend to know much about the situation over there. I feel that the chap can't visit every factory or installation can he? And can only really depend on a honest answer from the Iranians at the end of the day.

I think (and really it's just me) that they (Iranians) don't understand the problems that nuclear weapons pose. The whole area is completely unstable over there (more unstable than Australia where I live without nukes) they don't seem to understand that, OK if the current government have nukes it's kinda OK, but what happens if there is an uprising and other people try to take control like what has happened in Syria. These weapons could get into the hands of idiots with a completely different agenda. Also I also think they don't understand that nukes really don't provide muscle like in the "old days" of power distribution. One gets let go, we all let go............no one wins. It does not prevent anything?

I also happen to think they are just a little bit trigger happy than the rest of the nuclear nations if allowed to have them.

Perhaps this is the problem, no one has the balls enough to say "Look, you're all mental religious nutters who get offended about the slightest thing, you're like children and can't be trusted one little bit"

Until there is that understanding and trust, would you trust these guys with nukes.

Waiting for the flames.................
edit on 29-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Applause

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Nuclear program of Iran | Wikipedia

The nuclear program of Iran was launched in the 1950s with the help of the United States as part of the Atoms for Peace program.[1] The participation of the United States and Western European governments in Iran's nuclear program continued until the 1979 Iranian Revolution that toppled the Shah of Iran.[2]

Nuclear facilities in Iran | Wikipedia

1 Anarak
2 Arak
3 Ardekan
4 Bonab
5 Bushehr
6 Chalus
7 Darkovin
8 Fordow
9 Isfahan
10 Karaj
11 Lashkar Abad
12 Lavizan
13 Natanz
14 Parchin
15 Saghand
16 Tehran
17 Yazd

Hell, Disney World in Orlando, Florida is bigger than all of these facilities combined and families cover most of the park in about a week so as long as the UN chief is up for it I think he can do it.
edit on 29-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Nice work. Told you I didn't know!

I interested to know what you feel about it? Would you mind sharing your thoughts?

Cheers

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I'm interested in seeing Iran becoming fully transparent so the West and Israel can cease the warmongering. These conflicts in the Middle East are only growing and it's time to stop meddling and instigating over there and actually give peace a try for once. I'm afraid though, much like the false invasion of Iraq, Israel will go to war with Iran over lies and politics, not facts and truth.
edit on 29-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

That sounds like a nice wish, but it's one I share with you.

I only hope that "they" are transparent enough.

I had enough of smoke and mirrors, it's getting way too confusing.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Couldn't agree more with you guys,lets end this charade

new topics
top topics

join