It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chaos: Angry RNC Crowd Shouts Down Puerto Rican Speaker, Reince Priebus Forced To Quell Mob

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Chaos: Angry RNC Crowd Shouts Down Puerto Rican Speaker, Reince Priebus Forced To Quell Chants Of ‘USA! USA!’

What happened Tuesday at the RNC causing a bunch of angry attendees to loudly shout “USA, USA” as a Puerto Rican speaker took the stage, forcing chair Reince Priebus to demand order on a chaotic floor?

The incident occurred as speaker Puerto Rico National Committeewoman Zori Fonalledas was taking the stage to announce John Boehner’s appointment as permanent convention chairman. But the actual specifics of the chanting, and the reasons behind it, are in dispute.

Jack Hitt, of Harper's Magazine: A Troubling Chant on the Convention Floor

The chanting carried on for nearly a minute while most of the other delegates and the media stood by in stunned silence. The Puerto Rican correspondent turned to me and asked, “Is this happening?” I said I honestly didn’t know what was happening—it was astonishing to see all the brittle work of narrative construction that is a modern political convention suddenly crack before our eyes. None of us could quite believe what we were seeing: A sea of twentysomething bowties and cowboy hats morphing into frat bros apparently shrieking over (or at) a Latina. RNC chairman Reince Priebus quickly stepped up and asked for order and respect for the speaker, suggesting that, yeah, what we had just seen might well have been an ugly outburst of nativism.

Some member in the RNC are saying the chanting was to shout down the Ron Paul supporters, who were seated in the upper nose-bleed section, who were shouting "point of order", after their delegates were denied from Maine. That's a bit of a weak excuse, in the video the attention of the crowd was on the stage, and the reaction by Priebus, angrily telling the chanters that Fonalledas deserved their respect, is telling.

It was an ugly incident all around. This will not help the GOP's image in any way, especially as the camera panned around the chanting, angry crowd, to show a startling lack of diversity among their members.
edit on 29-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: Edit thread title to fit in allocated space

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It was rude and disrespectful to the speaker.
However i am not surprised. Its the state of the USA.
It speaks volumes.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thank you for posting...They were shouting something else too, but I can't make it out. They certainly are an angry looking bunch! Can anyone else tell what they are shouting?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Chaos: Angry RNC Crowd Shouts Down Puerto Rican Speaker, Reince Priebus Forced To Quell Chants Of ‘USA! USA!’

Some member in the RNC are saying the chanting was to shout down the Ron Paul supporters, who were seated in the upper nose-bleed section, who were shouting "point of order", after their delegates were denied from Maine. That's a bit of a weak excuse, in the video the attention of the crowd was on the stage, and the reaction by Priebus, angrily telling the chanters that Fonalledas deserved their respect, is telling.

I was watching the feed live and this is exactly what happened. It was covered heavily on Twitter yesterday as the Ron Paul delegation were being drowned out by Romney express who were prominently positioned in front of the microphones and cameras.

Either way, it was a disgusting act to continue yelling USA USA as the Puerto Rican took the stage.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
They where shouting USA to drown out the Ron Paul supports chant. I can't remember what they where chanting but it was definitely not USA a few minutes before that clip.

It had nothing to do with the Puerto Rican speaker, she was just next after the previous guy.

Funny how stuff gets spun.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ron Paul supporters either starting chanting "Let Maine seat" or "Let him speak". I'm sure Romney's people started the USA chant to drain them out.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PassiveObserver
They where shouting USA to drown out the Ron Paul supports chant. I can't remember what they where chanting but it was definitely not USA a few minutes before that clip.

It had nothing to do with the Puerto Rican speaker, she was just next after the previous guy.

Funny how stuff gets spun.

That's quite true. It is not about race, sorry about losing the talking point DNC.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
They were chanting 'Seat them now' referring to the Ron Paul delegates who the RNC gratiously gave the bum's rush. Yep, it's going to be skittles and sunshine come November.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It was rude and disrespectful towards the lady from Puerto Rico...but it wasn't in response to her.

I have a thread that covers this video, and I addressed the point that some are saying this is a reaction to her. There was just an acclamation vote where the "Ayes" and "NOs" seemed almost identical if not the "NOs" being louder...and Priebus declared the "Ayes" had it and then immediately went to introduce the lady from Puerto Rico. Ron Paul supporters started calling for "Point of Order" and in response the Romney supporters started chanting "USA" to drown them out.

Believe me, I would call them out if I thought they were chanting USA in response to her coming on stage...but that isn't the case. Some were screaming for "Point of Order", some were screaming "Seat Them Now", and others screamed "USA" to drown them out...I believe others just joined in the "USA" chant because they had no clue what was going on. And there were probably some that joined in because they thought they were protesting a Puerto Rican speaking...but I don't think that was the main point.

The real story here is that the RNC chairman blatantly ignored the delegation and passed a resolution that didn't really have the "Ayes" to pass it.

Here is my thread that discusses that:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
It was rude and disrespectful towards the lady from Puerto Rico...but it wasn't it response to her.

I have a thread that covers this video, and I addressed the point that some are saying this is a reaction to her. There was just an acclamation vote where the "Ayes" and "NOs" seemed almost identical if not the "NOs" being louder...and Priebus declared the "Ayes" had it and then immediately went to introduce the lady from Puerto Rico. Ron Paul supporters started calling for "Point of Order" and in response the Romney supporters started chanting "USA" to drown them out.

Believe me, I would call them out if I thought they were chanting USA in response to her coming on stage...but that isn't the case. Some were screaming for "Point of Order", some were screaming "Seat Them Now", and others screamed "USA" to drown them out...I believe others just joined in the "USA" chant because they had no clue what was going on. And there were probably some that joined in because they thought they were protesting a Puerto Rican speaking...but I don't think that was the main point.

The real story here is that the RNC chairman blatantly ignored the delegation and passed a resolution that didn't really have the "Ayes" to pass it.

Here is my thread that discusses that:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

Even though I've a feeling we might be on different sides of hte left/right spectrum, I have to admit you are one of the most objective and reasonable "liberals" I've met. I'm impressed and I mean that sincerely.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Awww...the maturity. It's so wonderful to see the future of our nation being decided by children lacking in common sense or decorum.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

It was stated in the original post that Ron Paul supporters were screaming "point of order"

They were in the nose bleed seats...

They think people on the floor were screaming USA in response....although I dont see how " point of order" would get anyone screaming USA...maybe " quit whining "

When we read all of the post...some questions you will notice have an answer.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

heres some disturbing hot mike action at the RNC.

clearly they are proud of themselves for turning the mike off when ron paul people cheer

makes my blood boil
edit on 29-8-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I can't really see why they would be chanting USA over and over again in response to Ron Paul's delegates. I think it may have been due to both issues.
edit on 29-8-2012 by Dimithae because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Like Jack Hitt suggests in his Harper's article; it may have started as a shouting match between RP supporters and Texan delegates, but morphed into some nativist chanting of U.S.A.! U.S.A.! Exactly who it's target was...

I also would have a hard time believing that the chanting, which started with the Texas delegates, would take that much umbrage with Ron Paul supporters - Ron Paul being FROM Texas.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

heres some disturbing hot mike action at the RNC.

clearly they are proud of themselves for turning the mike off when ron paul people cheer

makes my blood boil
edit on 29-8-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

Not even trying to hide their chicanery, are they?!?

And listen to the crowd's response - Mitt Romney (weak applause) - Ron Paul (crowd roars). "HAHA, good job, guy controlling the microphone, for cutting off Ron Paul's name..."

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This doesn't make sense in context, particularly if you saw the convention yesterday, where several Puerto Rican and Hispanic speakers were well received by the convention, including the First Lady of Puerto Rico, Luce Vela Fortuna, and the delegation from Puerto Rico suggesting they wanted to be the 51st state. (I know that is a contrversial issue, but that's not the point.) They were all well received, as were all minority speakers. You want to listen to someone who will go far? Mia Love, running for Congress. Brian Sandoval, Hispanic governor of Nevada, spoke, along with the governor of South Carolina, Nikki Haley, who is a Sikh Indian. Artur Davis spoke, who actually worked on Obama's campaign last time. But, you know, all Republicans are racist, at least if you listen to Chris "Tingles" Matthews.

Here's what DID happen. MSNBC cut away from all the speeches by minorities to give the impression the convention was jilting them. This blatant manipulation of the news is typical of the MSM. Since they are in Obama's pocket, their aim is to distort the Republicans every chance they get.

And, yes, the Ron Paul supporters were out making donkeys of themselves, as they are want to do, by disrupting the proceedings, which was the likely cause of the USA chant.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

I couldn't make it out either but my teens said it is clearly "Mitt".

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Agree, I wanted to voice my opinion on the same thing but couldn't have said it better.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

This is typical of the mind bending tactics that have been steering the humanship for ever. These ignorant people figure that as long as they vote as they are told, to vote the $$$ that they too will prosper along with the elites.

It is like picking sides and choosing the one that in the end is their doom.

If Ryan is such a great direction for our current crisis, then why did they not place him years ago? He was tagged decades ago by the power elites.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join