It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada must become a Republic.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I understand that we the people of Canada have control over our government making us de facto a republic but we still are a constitutional monarchy.

I just can't take it anymore. Our government spends millions of dollars every time members of the royal family come to Canada, we have the face of a foreign queen on our currency and so much more money wasted to have the face of the queen everywhere in parliament and senate. Harper even changed the name of our army back to Royal navy and air force.

but all this is nothing compared to this piece of human filth :

This woman is named Lise Thibault and was appointed 27th Lieutenant Governor of Québec (representative of the queen) in 97. It just happened that while she was an honorable representative of the queen no one needs in Canada (even less in Québec) that she had been living the life of a queen at our expenses.

She was accused of fraud and spending 700 000$ beyond her expenses account.

Now all this is pretty bad but still not enough to make me rage.

What came next is what infuriated me and got me REAL [SNIP] MAD.

in front of a judge she had the nerves to use this as a defense :

That since she is royal representative of the queen, she has sovereign immunity, meaning the Crown's prosecution cannot prosecute the Crown. The queen being above the law and being always right cannot be prosecuted. Therefor all fraud charges should be dropped.

O RLY?

Too bad you are being prosecuted in Québec ! defense rejected ! See you september 10th.

VIVE LE CANADA LIBRE !

edit on 8/29/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Please do not circumvent the censors.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If only that were the only problem with our fine country.
Im getting tired of our megalomaniac of a prime minister.

Im already beyond tired actually. Just of the system itself.
We're on the road to complete government control.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
don't worry, canadians can vote him out if any them actually knew when the next election will be.

the greatest mystery in canadian politics is when federal elections are held, and usually they are given 72 hrs notice if lucky.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thank god that woman is in a court in quebec. I bet theyll have her ass for trying to pull that #. Quebec hates being part of canada, let alone part of england.... I could honestly see them attempting to prosecute the queen herself if they had a reason to...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
No one is the queen of me.
Well, my girlfriend may be the queen of me. But thats it.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Know exactly how you feel.can't stand the old witch and that bloody wave!
as for the robbing representative she could be the queens body double.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

It just makes you scratch your head to wonder how someone can put herself on a pedestal like that, doesn't it? For as long as I can remember, that position of lieutenant governor has been a fairly isolated one in terms of mingling with the population of Quebec, and her egoistisc elitist attitude is well-known. Wasn't there a long search to find someone who would even want to fill that position?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It's similar here in Australia, most people go about there business like good little drones, but mention getting rid of the queen and they yell at you for being in patriotic! Why we allow ourselves to be over governed by a family thousands of km's away is beyond me.

I care very little for the queen, those days are over, the days of kings and queens are archaic and should be shed, let them fade into history!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The queen is a parasite... All she does is eat from our tax money. Canada is her all paid vacation.

I don;t take sides in election, i vote for whoever helps me better in life.. so far Increasing the retirement age, made new post secondary graduates doing menial jobs while illiterate, non updated old people working, earning 10x the amount.

The work i do now... my senior co-workers know less knowledge on the subject, they are pretty much robots, they don't know why they do what they do anymore, its just a habit for them... and fail at computers... i on the other hand, know everything they do, why they do it for and up to date on computers skills, and earning 5x less than them.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

VIVE LE CANADA LIBRE !

Oui mon ami!

I was born in Quebec and have lived there various times through out my life and have always considered it better off than the rest of Canada for many reasons. But things have changed over the last 5 years or so. My father and I speak about it quite often since he currently lives there and I visit quite often. Quebec has gone down the crapper with all the corruption, but so has the rest of Canada.

I blame the federal government who then allow our provincial and municipal governments to carry on the tradition of greed and corruption at the citizen's expense.

You make a great point but the only change that I can see coming to Canada's status will be our loss of sovereignty with the implementation of the NAU/NWO.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
The queen is a parasite... All she does is eat from our tax money. Canada is her all paid vacation.

I don;t take sides in election, i vote for whoever helps me better in life.. so far Increasing the retirement age, made new post secondary graduates doing menial jobs while illiterate, non updated old people working, earning 10x the amount.

The work i do now... my senior co-workers know less knowledge on the subject, they are pretty much robots, they don't know why they do what they do anymore, its just a habit for them... and fail at computers... i on the other hand, know everything they do, why they do it for and up to date on computers skills, and earning 5x less than them.

I'm in a similar position my friend. I guess is a trend in Toronto. I second every word you said. Enough with the parasites and bloodsucking morons.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have great respect for Canada as a nation and Canadians in general, the one's I have met seem pretty together sort of people and good company.

Canada has every right to do and act as it see's fit - if that includes getting rid of The Queen as their Head Of State then that is entirely up to them.
I don't think anyone could really think anything other than that.

But amidst all the accusations of her being a leech and a burden on Canadian tax payers etc I would be interested to know exactly how much she costs Canada per year?

And as for Thibault claiming that as she is The Queen's representative in Quebec she is above the law well that is clearly just nonsense - The Queen herself is anything but being above the law - she is very much governed and dictated to by UK Laws which come from Parliament.
We in the UK fought a Civil War and killed one of her predecessors over this very issue.
The Queen is subject to Parliament which in turn represents the electorate, (though we have been taught to ignore that fact and we allow Parliament to dictate to us but that is a completely different arguement altogether).

If The Queen herself has no impugnity how can her representative?

Charge her regardless and if she is found guilty then she should be punished in exactly the same way as any other Canadian would be.

If Canada ever chooses to become a Republic then that will be their choice, and no matter what they will always have a loyal friend in the UK - despite what our politicians may sometimes contrive and conspire to do and say.
edit on 29/8/12 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I've never really understood all of the anti monarchy ravings.

Do any of you people even understand how a constitutional monarchy works? The Queen is essentially a paid diplomat, and a governmental fail-safe.

The most significant family of constitutional monarchies in the world today are the sixteen Commonwealth realms under Elizabeth II. Unlike some of their continental European counterparts, the Monarch and her Governors-General in the Commonwealth realms hold significant "reserve" or "prerogative" powers, to be wielded in times of extreme emergency or constitutional crises usually to uphold parliamentary government. An instance of a Governor General exercising his power was during the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis, when the Australian Prime Minister of the time, Gough Whitlam, was dismissed by the Governor-General. The Australian senate had threatened to block the Government's budget by refusing to pass the associated appropriation bills. On 11 November 1975, Whitlam intended to call a half-Senate election in an attempt to break the deadlock. When he went to seek the Governor-General's approval of the election, the Governor-General instead dismissed him as Prime Minister, and shortly thereafter installed leader of the opposition Malcolm Fraser in his place. Acting quickly before all parliamentarians became aware of the change of government, Fraser and his allies were able to secure passage of the appropriation bills, and the Governor-General dissolved Parliament for a double dissolution election. Fraser and his government were returned with a massive majority. This led to much speculation among Whitlam's supporters as to whether this use of the Governor-General's reserve powers was appropriate, and whether Australia should become a republic. Among supporters of constitutional monarchy however, the experience confirmed the value of the monarchy as a source of checks and balances against elected politicians who might seek powers in excess of those conferred by their respective constitutions, and ultimately as a safeguard against dictatorship.

The Royal family take 0.00% of your tax money. They cost us here in the UK, (technically) around 50p pp/py. But since the Royal estates generate more tax revenue than the monarchy costs, we actually make a profit from them.

You guys in Canada get the benefits for free. You're complaining about a non-existent issue.

ETA: As for Lise Thibault trying to use Sovereign immunity as a defence in her fraud trial, that has been null and void since the Crown Proceedings Act of 1947.
edit on 29-8-2012 by FanarFanar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FanarFanar

I've never really understood all of the anti monarchy ravings.

Do any of you people even understand how a constitutional monarchy works? The Queen is essentially a paid diplomat, and a governmental fail-safe.

The most significant family of constitutional monarchies in the world today are the sixteen Commonwealth realms under Elizabeth II. Unlike some of their continental European counterparts, the Monarch and her Governors-General in the Commonwealth realms hold significant "reserve" or "prerogative" powers, to be wielded in times of extreme emergency or constitutional crises usually to uphold parliamentary government. An instance of a Governor General exercising his power was during the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis, when the Australian Prime Minister of the time, Gough Whitlam, was dismissed by the Governor-General. The Australian senate had threatened to block the Government's budget by refusing to pass the associated appropriation bills. On 11 November 1975, Whitlam intended to call a half-Senate election in an attempt to break the deadlock. When he went to seek the Governor-General's approval of the election, the Governor-General instead dismissed him as Prime Minister, and shortly thereafter installed leader of the opposition Malcolm Fraser in his place. Acting quickly before all parliamentarians became aware of the change of government, Fraser and his allies were able to secure passage of the appropriation bills, and the Governor-General dissolved Parliament for a double dissolution election. Fraser and his government were returned with a massive majority. This led to much speculation among Whitlam's supporters as to whether this use of the Governor-General's reserve powers was appropriate, and whether Australia should become a republic. Among supporters of constitutional monarchy however, the experience confirmed the value of the monarchy as a source of checks and balances against elected politicians who might seek powers in excess of those conferred by their respective constitutions, and ultimately as a safeguard against dictatorship.

The Royal family take 0.00% of your tax money. They cost us here in the UK, (technically) around 50p pp/py. But since the Royal estates generate more tax revenue than the monarchy costs, we actually make a profit from them.

You guys in Canada get the benefits for free. You're complaining about a non-existent issue.
edit on 29-8-2012 by FanarFanar because: (no reason given)

Very funny. I am against all sort of monarchy to start with. I think the British should have followed Robespierre and Danton in 1789 to get rid of all Despotism. For the Crown costing us nothing you are so very wrong. The queen costs us more than it costs you guys in England by the way.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

No she doesn't. The Canadian government cost you that money. The Queen doesn't get 1 cent of that money.
You could become a Republic tomorrow and you'd be stuck with they same yearly expenditure. In fact the price would probably go up.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Well as you appear reluctant to provide any sort of figures here goes.

The Queen receives absolutely nothing from Canada at all.

Canada does pay for policing etc during her tours of Canada.
Apparently during her tour of 2010 it cost each Canadian taxpayer 15 cents.

It is widely reported that The Monarchy costs Canada $50million and that indeed may be true but that cost would remain if The Queen was replaced with an alternative Head Of State who presumably would perform exactly the same function.

Oh, and she is Queen Of The United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland not of England.

An interesting persepective.
www.monarchist.ca...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Well as you appear reluctant to provide any sort of figures here goes.

The Queen receives absolutely nothing from Canada at all.

Canada does pay for policing etc during her tours of Canada.
Apparently during her tour of 2010 it cost each Canadian taxpayer 15 cents.

It is widely reported that The Monarchy costs Canada $50million and that indeed may be true but that cost would remain if The Queen was replaced with an alternative Head Of State who presumably would perform exactly the same function.

Oh, and she is Queen Of The United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland not of England.

An interesting persepective.
www.monarchist.ca...

If we remove the monarchy the queen will not need to be replaced by an alternative because guess what, she does not do a thing. Hopefully once she dies the entire monarchy will fall with her.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

So who will fulfill the function of Head Of State of Canada and the roles of the Lieutenant Generals etc?
Or don't you understand what their role is within your democratic process?

As I said before, it is entirely your choice if you decide to become a republic but please take the time to understand the full implications - I assure you it will not be as simple as just severing all links and not replacing people in the roles that are currently filled with The Queens 'representatives'.

But the choice is your's.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The problem with Republics is they becomes a true fascist state. That is, they will eventually become ruled by the corporate interests unless there are checks and balances to prevent the wealthy elite from taking over.

America used to be a republic, but now it's a true fascism. It is ruled by the corporate wealthy elite.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

.....It is ruled by the corporate wealthy elite....

As are most, if not all, countries regardless of type of government etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join