It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darkbake: Digging into my philosophy, an open discussion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

vv3vv3vv
reply to post by jiggerj

Cool, I see that you are suggesting that we base our theories and practices in real information, instead of artificially contrived ideas that don't resonate with an understanding of nature.

But darkbake was trying to say that we need to be able to look at and consider all information before judging it acceptable as truth or knowing it for falseness. And then be willing to do that over and over again.

Thanks, vv3vv, you replied better than I could to JiggerJ.

Similar to the idea that in order to catch a criminal, you have to think like one. It doesn't mean that just by simple exposure you will turn into one yourself, though maybe some are afraid to explore aspects such as this out of fear that it may consume them - and that reveals an entirely new set of issues that should be explored.

If you are able to think like a criminal, tolerate the insanity and conquer it, that makes you very wise. It may even unlock the ability to work with criminals in positive ways others can't. We assume that a criminal does what he does because it benefits him, but this is not always the case.
edit on 31amMon, 31 Mar 2014 05:53:58 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

On Relativism

The Truth of Relativism Based on Mathematical Concepts by SmithJustinB

That was explained very well. However, how do people who are viewing the world from different places get on the same page? There should at least be viewing platforms where people can congregate. This could be why the older pantheons were polytheistic.

There could be planned consequences of relativism - divided people are easier to conquer, for example, and at the mercy of powerful overlords. When you have no social support system and are treated unfairly, you have no recourse. When unfair treatment is relative, you don't either.

I don't contest your original claim. It is kind of a Pandora's box.

SmithJustinB

I think relativism gives power to each individual to determine what it is he/ she wants and then gives that person the mental freedom to obtain it. You have your own recourse. I also think it helps us get on the same page. When you understand that other people are as convinced of their viewpoint as you are, it allows you a greater ability to put your own viewpoint aside to consider the others. You quit saying, "you're wrong", and therefore don't automatically dismiss the entirety of the other's viewpoint. Instead, you are more open-minded.

Darkbake:

I think that understanding laws and the nature of concrete reality allows someone to more easily obtain their desires. I think that religion, by muddling the mixture with false laws, inhibits people's abilities to obtain positive desires for themselves and others. It is good to know cause-and-effect behind laws, not have them be arbitrary.

Thinking that someone would naturally want bad things to happen to themselves and others is one of the fallacies western religion can bring to the table. In reality, why would someone want this? Healthy values ensure healthy results.

In fact, oftentimes we find religious people are the ones who wish ill upon others. This is the nature of reality.

The last thing we as a society need is a monotheistic way of looking at things that is patently false.
edit on 10pmThu, 10 Apr 2014 21:15:08 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Two Types of Morality

Are there two types of morality, one that is feeling and one that is doctrine?

On the one hand, I am talking about morality based on empathy, understanding and experiencing someone on the other side of the situation. Empathy is the ability to understand where someone else is coming from. This understanding can be learned through experiencing what it is like to be the person on the other end of the coin.

Understanding that we are all the same but are brought about by different experiences. Sometimes, living the same experiences as someone else helps build empathy for their situation. Now to the point: good and bad can be learned by experiencing other people's lives - this allows you to know when you make a choice whether it will harm or help another, because you can empathize with the person on the other end and see your actions from their perspective.

This is global awareness and awareness in general - living in a world where everyone has the right to be independent and where the goal is for everyone to reach their full potential.

In this kind of morality, something is wrong when it harms another. Awareness of what harms another is felt through empathizing with the other person, often because of having shared similar experiences. It almost hurts to do an action that would harm someone else if you are aware of their perspective.

(Doing something wrong can also be harming yourself - decide if a personal behavior is right or wrong by determining if it is a healthy one.)

These are morals based upon the principles of independence and healthy living. One is able to sense and know in their heart when they are doing something bad because of this empathy with others and themselves. They don't have to be told this, in fact being told is not the same as knowing.

On the other hand, being told what to do and following it blindly is the second form of morality I wanted to discuss. In this instance, someone with some wisdom and experience writes a document for people with less wisdom and experience to learn from. But some of the followers think that they are being told the rules, not being guided; they don't understand that there is a land outside of the experience of the mentor.

They don't allow people to experience life and get to know in their hearts the natural morals of the world - instead they stay sheltered in their house of rules, feeling safe because it works and they are afraid to leave (try different things) because they think they might mess up, as they are not able to be guided by the natural sense of morality that comes from empathy and knowing other people's perspectives.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I am writing my own philosophy, and I have been going through my posts here on ATS and collecting them and saving them into word documents. From this, I would like to write a cohesive philosophy one day and hopefully publish it in a book.

I am very big on learning from other people, for listening to other perspectives and incorporating them into my own is a nearly essential part of learning.

So I am going to post a few of my short essays here, and then would you guys help me by discussing them and also giving me your own ideas?

I do not want to rain on your parade at this point!
you are still 'setting up'.
If you want my scientifico-philosophical examination, come back in a couple decades. Philosophers are mind sharks!

Writing down your thoughts and revisiting them will give you some excellent 'self-knowledge', and the honing of those random thoughts until, perhaps, stumbling on a Universal Law or two, is filled with WOW moments!
A delicious trip that never ends!
Enjoy!
I have been doing something similar, as an experiment, for about 15 years or so.
Sharing online is a good way to get your pet theories demolished!
Which is good, if you can be Honest and aren't filled with 'beliefs' that constantly need feeding and care! *__-
But, if you are good, the demolition turns, eventually, into shaping and polishing, like a diamond, grinding away with the finest of abrasives!
The fruits can be the sweetest imaginable, I know!
BUT, and despite the wonderful journey through what ultimately amounts to be the 'imagination/ego' (ALL 'meaning' exists in the eye (thought/imagination) of the beholder), the most useful and Wise advice you will ever receive, is to never, NEVER, EVER, 'believe' anything that you 'think' or 'feel' (feelings are thoughts), for therein lies insanity! *__-
Other than that, any real ability for original critical thought, is an exceptionally rare gift!
Like chicken teeth!

Love and Happy trails
n

edit on 26-9-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

I want to get my pet theories demolished, other people's perspectives allow me to weed out faults in my thinking. I made this thread in part because I wanted to have a place to post my essays without spamming the philosophy forum with multiple posts.

I'm going to read back and see if my views have changed any since I was last on this thread.
edit on 13amMon, 13 Nov 2017 11:12:21 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join