It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCT finds 'the cure' to malaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

UCT finds 'the cure' to malaria.

lifestyle.iafrica.com

The University of Cape Town's Science department on Tuesday announced it has found a single dose cure for malaria.

Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor was also present when the announcement was made.

Researchers have been hard at work for several years and now believe they have discovered a drug which may annihilate a mosquito’s parasitic life cycle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29-8-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Nothing really to say here other than this is great news! I know they have been pretty close and have been able to treat malaria quite well but finding an actual "cure" is awesome. As well, Africa has a hard time enough as it is. It's great to finally hear some good news coming out of there.

Maybe this cure will pose one less threat for tourists wanting to visit Africa and will help Africa have more involvement from other countries. I know malaria isn't the deciding factor in the Elite countries not wantint to get involved but I think this may be a step forward.

lifestyle.iafrica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is great news indeed! These people should be given a medal, and I sincerely hope they do receive one! A good day for Africa!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
MERCK ALERT!!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gauss
This is great news indeed! These people should be given a medal, and I sincerely hope they do receive one! A good day for Africa!

A good day for us all! But a great day for Africa!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Now the only question is, which pharmaceutical company will buy it up and either suppress it so they can keep making money off of the treatments or put an outlandish price tag on it so that it's almost impossible for the average person to get it.

Why not, they do it with every other disease so they can turn a profit at our expense, why should this be any exception?

Good luck to us all,

King

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
Now the only question is, which pharmaceutical company will buy it up and either suppress it so they can keep making money off of the treatments or put an outlandish price tag on it so that it's almost impossible for the average person to get it.

Why not, they do it with every other disease so they can turn a profit at our expense, why should this be any exception?

Good luck to us all,

King

Well, hopefully not being established in the U.S., they will have less control over it.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
being from South Africa this does make me feel proud of what we have achieved.
But... Maleria kills an estimated 1 million people a year. This must go a long way in reducing the strain on the Earth's carrying capacity.

I would think AIDS and Maleria do a lot to keep our population under control. add to this cancer's sharp rise in the last few years, and it seems like the 3 of them are the only thing stopping us from overpopulating (which we already do) which would lead to many other problems (not to mention the current ones like hunger/poverty)
I know by this point I might seem a bit heartless, but tbh what else can we do to keep our numbers in check? Mass cullings? I'd rather a disease did that for us.

Here's a picture that describes what carrying capacity problems are like.

Please don't take this the worng way, I just worry what would happen if we found cures for a lot of the bigger diseases...

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Malaria has been so prevalent for so long in Africa it has driven the rise of another disease process: sickle cell anemia. People who are anemic are more resistant to malaria, and ironically enough capable of greater survivability.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
lol jim humble, the MMS guy
has been curing malaria for years
thats how he 1st discovered MMS's properties

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
lol jim humble, the MMS guy
has been curing malaria for years
thats how he 1st discovered MMS's properties

I've heard people have claimed there are homeopathic cures for Malaria but we know most alternative medicine does not get scientifically accepted. So, it's nice to have something more mainstream.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
www.science.uct.ac.za...

Leslie J. Street Ph.D.
Senior Director of Medicinal Chemistry, Cortex Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Age Total Calculated Compensation This person is connected to 0 board members in 0 different organizations across 1 different industries.

53 --
Background*
Les Street Ph.D. has been Senior Director of Medicinal Chemistry at Cortex Pharmaceuticals Inc. since March 6, 2007. Dr. Street has many years of experience in developing compounds which impact ion channels in the brain and has the requisite experience in moving such programs toward clinical development. He has more than 20 years experience at Merck's Neuroscience Research Center in the U.K., a division of Merck, Inc. During his tenure at Merck, Dr. Street focused on drug discovery programs for treating migraine, cognitive disorders, anxiety, and schizophrenia. He served as Head for Medicinal Chemistry of Renovis. He led medicinal chemistry teams that were successful in advancing several clinical candidates in the CNS disease area, including most recently the anti-migraine drug Rizatriptan (MAXALT®), which was approved by the FDA in 1998. He served as Senior Director of Renovis. Dr. Street has published nearly 50 peer-reviewed manuscripts and over 80 patents. He received his B.S. and his Ph.D. in Chemistry from Leeds University in the U.K.

This is the FIRST person they contacted after developing this new wonder drug. I'm sure his ties to MERCK are as strong today as they were back in the day. I will even bet money (but I don't have any) that it is NO accident that he was the FIRST scientist contacted and has MERCK ties. Yes, MERCK has their dirty hands in this. Throw out the test data sheets on their human experiments which start next year. The magic pen please.

new topics

top topics

join