It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures of Sand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Some amazing images of ordinary sand particles under a 250x microscope. I hope you enjoy them.

I was surprised to see how beautiful and diverse sand really is.

Source article

Viewed at a magnification of over 250 times real life, tiny grains of sand are shown to be delicate, colourful structures as unique as snowflakes.

When seen well beyond the limits of human eyesight, the miniature particles are exposed as fragments of crystals, spiral fragments of shells and crumbs of volcanic rock.

Professor Gary Greenberg who has a PhD in biomedical research from University College London said: 'It is incredible to think when you are walking on the beach you are standing on these tiny treasures.

More pictures can be found here. Including sand from the Moon.
Artist website

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Very cool perspective and new to my eyes. What diversity in color, shape and textures. These candied little gems are so unique, each one having it's own distinction. I am sure some of those particles are plastic too, but still, the glass and shells are, well, like little treasures. I like the puffed stars from Japan.
Thanks for bringin this onboard

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Cherry picked

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
Cherry picked

Indeed the photographer chose the best specimens he could find to photograph.

While some of the other pictures show sand from different locations. All of the sand in the above picture was found in one location.

sandgrains.com...

Maui Sand Grains
Arrangement #2

This image is a handful of sand grains selected from a beach in Maui and are arranged onto a black background. The colors and shapes of these tiny grains of sand are surprisingly different and astonishingly beautiful, each with it’s own individual in character.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

These candied little gems are so unique, each one having it's own distinction.

I like the way you stated that.

They do look like candied gems.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Lovely and interesting, I like the Sponge Spicules, they look like natural glass sculptures. I enjoy the mixtures of shells, corals and rock.

new topics

top topics

join