It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

39 dead, dozens hurt in explosion at huge Venezuela oil refinery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Apparently an oil refinery in Venezuela, one of their biggest in fact, exploded at about 1:15 am Saturday. Of course, because of this being Tuesday, I searched ATS 3 times using different key words in order to learn more, but alas no results to this were found, So I am bringing it to you with a few questions. First the story.

As stated above the oil refinery exploded at about 1:15 am Saturday morning killing 39, including 18 national guard troops, wounding at least 86, nine seriously, 77 with light injuries. It killed the power in the surrounding area and filled homes with smoke.

The explosion is being blamed on a cloud of natural gas that ignited according to oil minister Rafael Ramirez.

While the cause of the disaster remains unclear, some oil workers and critics of Chavez's government have recently pointed to increasing numbers of smaller accidents and spills as an indication of problems within the state-run company.

"We warned that something was going to happen, a catastrophic event," said Ivan Freites, secretary general of a 1,200-member union of oil and natural gas industry workers in Falcon state where the refinery is located.

Okay so the Government says it was a natural gas leak that ignited causing 2 tanks to catch fire, yet the very same article says "The cause of the disaster remains unclear". Then we have warnings from the Union of a catastrophic event. Then we have this....

Venezuela is a major supplier of oil to the U.S. and a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.
Sou rce(This source does have a video of the original report of 26 dead but the count was raised to 39)

Okay so, at the bottom of the article it states several times it is due to poor management and lack of maintenance according to the people that work there. Well, I tend to believe those that are involved in the day to day routine rather than those sitting behind a desk trying to hold on to public affairs.

The reason I bring this up, other than passing on the story of those that were killed(may they rest in peace) in the explosion, is to bring in a few questions. Some of you may remember a thread written here on ATS on June 24th of 20010 entitled Venezuela seizes oil rigs owned by US company by buni11687. This has caused an untold amount of profit loss for the Oklahoma based oil company that owned theses refineries.

Now, If I were holding a grudge due to someone taking my profits out from under me I would find a way to get even, but not right away, that would look a little too conspicuous, so I would wait and hit them in little ways in order to cause a little reputation of poor maintenance until I could set up a way to take it all out by opening a valve to cause a leak. Maybe it is just my devious mind at work here, but we are really talking about a VERY large amount of monies profit lost when Venezuela took the plants over.

Now for my questions, is it possible that this was no accident? Could this be an act of revenge? or Could this have been a simple case of poor maintenance and was in fact an accident?

edit on 28-8-2012 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The pink moth did it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I just saw the video of the blast. It looked pretty nuts. Sad for the familys.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

thanks Agarta...

i think it is not in the news cause the MSM doesnt care...

Venezuela are enemies of the State...didnt U know...!

all power to the people...go Hugo!

could it be a hit by U.S.??? wouldnt surprise me...

seeya

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExNihilo
The pink moth did it.

Ummm..... WTF????

OP, I think you're on to something... and this will likely send rising oil prices through the roof in the coming days.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
reply to post by Agarta

thanks Agarta...

i think it is not in the news cause the MSM doesnt care...

Venezuela are enemies of the State...didnt U know...!

all power to the people...go Hugo!

could it be a hit by U.S.??? wouldnt surprise me...

seeya

what ever happened to intelligible conversation on ATS....

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Methinks this may be a play by moneyed interests because crude went plummeting earlier this week www.zerohedge.com...

What does it matter how low crude is if you reduce the rate it can be turned into gasoline and other things?

If it is revenge and not an accident, we can only expect them to wait for the best time

Although to be honest calling suspicion on the press saying the cause isn't clear isn't right, because the cause isn't clear
edit on 28-8-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeats
what ever happened to intelligible conversation on ATS....

During my time here it's been an exceedingly rare but satisfying experience

Also, according to that guy, coverage on the NBC nightly news means the MSM doesn't 'care'

edit on 28-8-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I gotta make this a one reply thing so I don't want any crap for the validity of this link from trolls. I freely admit I cannot vouch for it. I can't do a more thorough search right now because I have to reset my connection right before I click on a link in order for it to go through. Seconds after I reset the connection it's as if I am getting some kind of interruption.

It's too much of a pain to double check this so somebody else do it if they have doubts or concerns and leave me out of it. I'm just passing along what I recently heard and that was Venezuela was preparing for some kind of stand off with the US.... so when I read this thread I tried to do a search and the first link i clicked on is not a source I recognize (as I have already stated) but mentions Venezuela in an agreement with Iran because Iranian oil tankers are floating around in the ocean because the "allied" countries are dictating to other countries (even China) that they can't buy oil from Iran without some new and expensive insurance bullcrap that they have concocted. Couple months ago I read China was working on a "work-around" and that Japan earned some type of exemption because of their current dire straights I guess.... but it sounds like a bunch of bull# and a new way to get even more control of the straight between Iran and all those rich oil Kings in UAE where they recently built the worlds new tallest building in the last few years.

Sounds like revenge to me.

Even if the link is crap, maybe it will lead someone to do some research into this this ridiculous crap the allies have pulled out of their butts. Just a new kind of scam.

hotair.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
How to increase profits in the US oil department?

1-Blow up a couple of your suppliers refineries

2-drive up the price

3-WIN

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

And if you want you could add this to the equation "Gulf oil platforms evacuating workers due to Isaac storm threat" and you would have a beautiful scenario, what a coincidence right?

bottomline.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
How to increase profits in the US oil department?

1-Blow up a couple of your suppliers refineries

2-drive up the price

3-WIN

Basically. There is hardly any slack in refining capacity world-wide. This will make every other refiner make more money off of all of their refined petroleum products. Sucks to be anyone who doesn't own an oil refinery, no matter what caused this explosion

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

The link works for me and it is very interesting information thanks for adding it.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by yospuig

Even more fuel for the fire(pun intended) thanks for adding that information.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by NotAnAspie

The link works for me and it is very interesting information thanks for adding it.

You're welcome and here is another if you feel like checking up on this one as well... about the binational Iranian-Venezuelan development bank.,, to circumvent sanctions? If true, very interesting indeed.

I don't know. These are just things I have recently heard about myself. I can't say I'm up to date on Venezuelan news. I'll be attempting to look into more when my connection decides to behave.

usacac.army.mil...

join